accepted

scars87

Forum Probie
Just wanted to say that I got a call today that I was accepted to the emt-b program this summer.

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats and have fun with it :D

dschambers3

Forum Probie
Congrat! What program Acardian's NEMSA? What part of LA you in? I used to live in Ponchatoula, thinking about going back after my medic school is done. Good luck to you.

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Congrats and Good Luck with your EMT-B class!

OP
OP
S

scars87

Forum Probie
dschambers- yea I'm taking it nemsa through acadian. I live in opelousas. About 20 mins from lafayette. I'm sure you know where lafayette's at.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
dschambers- yea I'm taking it nemsa through acadian. I live in opelousas. About 20 mins from lafayette. I'm sure you know where lafayette's at.
I drove through there once - in September 2005.

Seriously... Good luck. Does this mean that you are paid by Acadian going through class, and/or that you get hired by them when you finish the class?

OP
OP
S

scars87

Forum Probie
No, it doesn't. They made it clear that we don't automatically get hired and that the school doesn't help us find a job. It starts june 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
No, it doesn't. They made it clear that we don't automatically get hired and that the school doesn't help us find a job. It starts june 2.
Do you have to pay for the class, or is the cost covered somehow?

OP
OP
S

scars87

Forum Probie
Have to pay. It's 700 plus books, supplies, and uniforms.

super_chris

Forum Probie
Have to pay. It's 700 plus books, supplies, and uniforms.

Holy cow. What kind of EMT program is that? Is it an accelerated class or what?

I'm somewhat surprised by how much that costs. My course(at a JC) was only about 150 plus books etc.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
thats cheap. I paid $1100 to go to community college and get 8 credits.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Good news!

Learn and keep on learning! Great news! :)

John E

Forum Captain
$1100?

For a community college? Sheesh.

That works out to $137.50 per unit. Thats about 7 times the tuition at a California community college.

Hope you got a good education cause you sure paid for it.

John E.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
For a community college? Sheesh.

That works out to $137.50 per unit. Thats about 7 times the tuition at a California community college.

Hope you got a good education cause you sure paid for it.

John E.

Yep. college is expensive. Community College is cheap around here.

OP
OP
S

scars87

Forum Probie
Yeah, it is expensive. It's 7 credits so it's 100 bucks a credit. And all the other things you need for class like clothes, physical, and all that can run up a few hundred bucks. They said it could cost upwards of $800, but they used the most expensive estimates. This is through a community college. How long was/is your emt-b program your attending? This one is 9 wks.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Yeah, it is expensive. It's 7 credits so it's 100 bucks a credit. And all the other things you need for class like clothes, physical, and all that can run up a few hundred bucks. They said it could cost upwards of $800, but they used the most expensive estimates. This is through a community college. How long was/is your emt-b program your attending? This one is 9 wks.

our last a college semester but I could be done alot quicker.

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
700 dollars sounds a bit much if you don't include texts and supplies. I just moved back to CT after living in New Orleans for a year. There seems to be a lot of companies in Louisiana.

OP
OP
S

scars87

Forum Probie
Yea there is, but around my area it's pretty much just Acadian. They have another one, but I haven't heard much about it. The other good companies are in Alexandria, Baton Rouge, New Orleans..bigger cities like that. Med Express used to be around here, but it's headquarters is in Alexandria now.

Derek

Forum Ride Along
Best of luck with it buddy. I just graduated my EMT course this past January.. Only thing I can offer as far as advice is make sure you listen in class and study. =)