About to start a job at an industrial facility

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 13 2005, 07:27 PM
In PA..... I've never heard that... I belive it is covered under the state BLS protocols.... you don't need command to be a BLS service.. I assume O2 in PA is covered under the state protocols signed by the the state Medical Director....

Jon
Actually you do need your own medical director in order to operate a BLS Service or a QRS Services. In some regions, the regional medical director will sign off on QRS services, but BLS does need a medical director in order to operate. BLS services need several things that require you to have your own director in order to purchase.

You need one in order to be stocked with and use the MAST suit, an AED, purchase a contract for oxygen supply, purchase EPI, purchase irrigation fluids (at least in 90% of the current catalogs). My company uses only Moore and BoundTree. Moore requires us to go to our MD and get sigs every six months on a list of items we purchase every month. Also you need an MD signature seven times in the state Ambulance Licensure packet to approve your 2nd due coverage areas, your mutual aid, your AED, your crew, your crews approval to use the AED, The EPI, and a paper citing his credentials.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 14 2005, 02:19 PM
You need one in order to be stock and use (snip) an AED
Alex are you sure that's still the case today? Cause I thought that requirement was removed over the last year or so.

:unsure:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Chimpie+Aug 14 2005, 01:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Aug 14 2005, 01:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Aug 14 2005, 02:19 PM
You need one in order to be stock and use (snip) an AED
Alex are you sure that's still the case today? Cause I thought that requirement was removed over the last year or so.

:unsure: [/b][/quote]
This is PA... You're in FL. It matters here.

You, personally, can buy what ever you want. But if you put it on an Ambulance, you need a medical director. Every individual on an ambulance, the EMT, anyone who will be using that AED, must have their own form, signed by the medical director that they are trained to use it. That's how it works in PA. I have the forms here still, from when I was an EMS Chief for the VOL. squad. I get them every 3 years when local ambulance licensure is due, just got them this past spring. Can't use an AED on an ambulance unless you have a medical director. Can't use the MAST w/ out a medical director, can't use EPI w/out a medical director, can't buy oxygen tanks or resuscitators from our supplier w/out a medical director. It all works out fine.

By the way, what you snipped was.. Can't stock or use the MAST w/ out a medical director. You don't need one to buy an AED, or MAST; But you can't have either on an EMS unit w/ out a medical director.

No snipping. <slaps mouse w/ a ruler>

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I snipped it because I was asking about the AED in particular. :rolleyes:

And since he is not running an ambulance, nor is he in PA, all of your points are mute. He is asking about setting up a medical response kit and possibly some training for his industrial facility in Arkansas.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Aug 14 2005, 02:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Aug 14 2005, 02:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Aug 13 2005, 07:27 PM
In PA..... I've never heard that... I belive it is covered under the state BLS protocols.... you don't need command to be a BLS service.. I assume O2 in PA is covered under the state protocols signed by the the state Medical Director....

Jon
Actually you do need your own medical director in order to operate a BLS Service or a QRS Services. In some regions, the regional medical director will sign off on QRS services, but BLS does need a medical director in order to operate. BLS services need several things that require you to have your own director in order to purchase.

You need one in order to be stocked with and use the MAST suit, an AED, purchase a contract for oxygen supply, purchase EPI, purchase irrigation fluids (at least in 90% of the current catalogs). My company uses only Moore and BoundTree. Moore requires us to go to our MD and get sigs every six months on a list of items we purchase every month. Also you need an MD signature seven times in the state Ambulance Licensure packet to approve your 2nd due coverage areas, your mutual aid, your AED, your crew, your crews approval to use the AED, The EPI, and a paper citing his credentials. [/b][/quote]
All the BLS transport squads i've seen... no AED, no Epi. My understanding is you don't need medical direction if you DON'T use pulse ox, AED, Epi... (I didn't think you needed command to stock / use MAST per state protocol.. air splint... you do need command to use mast as mast).

I can go to WalMart (example) or Galls and by a HeartStart Home .. the FDA approved non-perscription AED...

I can't buy a LP 500.. that is not a non-perscrition approved AED... and I can't use either in PA without a command doc to sign off.

O2 Tanks and Regulators aren't perscrption through Galls.... and VE Ralph usually dosen't require perscription for NSS or Sterile water for irrigation...

TTLWHKR... we will agree to dissagree

jon

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Cap'n ... the best advice I can give is to contact someone locally, such as the Red Cross. They will be able to tell you exactly what you are allowed to do.

OP
OP
C

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Luckily we do have a Red Cross offices within 30 miles of us.

Im sure they will get countless phone calls from me asking what is and what isnt OK. I would rather ask questions finding out what will be beneficial and will also stay well within my limits rahter than to blindly push for changes only to get laughed at because I failed to do my homework.

I was taught CPR through the AHA, but for layperson CPR classes which is more beneficial, ARC or AHA? I was given health care provider status for my AHA CPR card.

-CapnPanic

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The actual skills for CPR are the same whether it be AHA, Red Cross, or Joe's CPR School. I believe that the Red Cross goes into "why" a little better and I enjoy how the class is set up. Plus, every class supports the local chapter's other functions as well, including disaster response.

My suggestion would be that all management (or mobile staff) take Adult CPR/AED and First Aid. Any responders, such as yourself, HAZ MAT team, etc., take the CPR For Professional Rescuers. While you have may have the two-man skills down already, learning together with your fellow coworkers will help build teamwork.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My facility, I belive, has a group of the county's EMT instructors (In business together to teach CPR, not with the county...sort of weird) teach CPR+AED and basic First Aid... The County EMS TI, run by the same folks, loves ASHI. They teach ASHI. I don't know if it is professional rescuer or layperson CPR....... I'll have to talk to my boss tomorrow and check his cards....

the big part is the First Aid part... stopping bleeding and managing shock can KEEP you from doing CPR....

Jon

OP
OP
C

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
I wholeheartedly agree with the last two statements. This is one reason why there should be an injury PREVENTION campaign rather than an injury MANAGEMENT campaign. If you prevent it altogether you dont have to worry about managing it either.

-Cap'n

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
As for "can't specify what training your security Co has" that is incorrect... when the contract is next up, you can specify whatever duties you want into that contract.. I work for a contract Sercurity Co.... pay stinks, but I've got more overtime then I could want....