Abdominal Pain

emt4life

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone's service allow pain meds for abdominal pain? Our service does not and when asked the md's state it is their belief that the problem cannot be adquetly assesed if the pain has been relieved. Thoughts?

The reason I ask is I work at a service where it is medic & EMTB, and right now the medic is taking a lot of the calls. We recently picked up a teenage female with RLQ pain with rebound tenderness, and still had her appendix intact. Vitals signs were good and since we can't give pain meds, I asked my EMTB if she felt comfortable taking the pt and she said she did. The call went fine. I thought that since the only thing that I would have done for her that my partner couldn't do was an IV, that this was one call I didn't have to take.

What do people think, should I have taken it or was it ok to have given it to my partner?

Last edited by a moderator:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't diagnose it if it isn't there anymore... Unless it's some obvious problem.

"No Pain Management with AbdPn"

I just told my wife my stomach hurt.. Hinting that she may have given me food poisoning.. ha ha (in a joking way-the poison-not the pain) and she told me to suck it up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We are able to give M.S. for abd pain. Small amounts within reason does not "mask" symptoms..the old school of allowing the patient to suffer, has changed. If they are really concerned a litle Narcan will reverse the effects.. but, I have never seen it given. Usually, by the time physician exams.. etc.. pain has broke through.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
emt4life said:
Does anyone's service allow pain meds for abdominal pain? Our service does not and when asked the md's state it is their belief that the problem cannot be adquetly assesed if the pain has been relieved. Thoughts?

The reason I ask is I work at a service where it is medic & EMTB, and right now the medic is taking a lot of the calls. We recently picked up a teenage female with RLQ pain with rebound tenderness, and still had her appendix intact. Vitals signs were good and since we can't give pain meds, I asked my EMTB if she felt comfortable taking the pt and she said she did. The call went fine. I thought that since the only thing that I would have done for her that my partner couldn't do was an IV, that this was one call I didn't have to take.

What do people think, should I have taken it or was it ok to have given it to my partner?
Well.... The patient's pain should have been treated... but if all you could do was monitor, line and labs... and you'd been running yourself ragged... the call seems BLS-able... Around here, with responder medics... we'll recall the medic sometimes on these.... (usually after the medic gets there, sort of assesses the pt, then asks me if I "really need them")... I'm all about the patient getting pain management... but if the medic can't/won't provide it - why tie up more resources?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
I'm all about the patient getting pain management...

Remind me to call you next time I have a headache.. Ah.. Waiter? >snaps fingers< 4 of MS please?

:p