A Small Introduction..and A Few Questions

HelloChello

Forum Probie
So, after about 2 months of lurking I have decided that I will finally introduce myself. My name is Chelle. I'm NOT an EMT or medic...but I am however thinking of pursuing a career as one.

I graduated college in May with a degree in Accounting. I have always somewhat enjoyed accounting but been a little skeptical as to whether or not doing the same thing over and over everyday would satisfy me in the long run. However, I did have a full ride for school and therefore I decided to finish my degree. I have been interested in emergency medicine for quite a few years but have never really had the chance to pursue it. Now that I've graduated and been working in the 9-to-5-sit-in-a-cubicle-all-day environment I'm finding that I truly hate it. There is no way I can see myself doing this forever. So that's what brings me here to EMTlife.

I tend to be a planner, therefore I tend to gather as much information about something before I jump headfirst into it. I have learned a TON about life in emergency medicine just by lurking around these forums. (And for that, I thank you) However, this is a huge step for me (and will likely be stressful and expensive) so I am still a little apprehensive. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY interested in pursing this as a career, but some things are still a little scary.

For instance, I am really afraid of driving the ambulance! Haha! Okay, so I have no doubt that I can drive the thing. But will I be able to drive it fast enough? I tend to be a very cautious driver, and I've heard the "get there alive or you can't help anyone" deal, but still. So my first question is: How did you get used to the emergency traffic? Was it just a "suck it up" kind of thing or were you truly terrified the first few times?

Secondly, how can I be sure that I will be able to handle the truly difficult calls? I'm not so worried about people dying. I know that people die and I've had quite a bit of death in my immediate family. What I am truly worried about is how the family's reaction will bother me. I guess there is no way to really know how you're going to handle it until you just do it, right?

Anyway, I think this is long enough. I want to thank each and every one of you for your candid views and information. :)

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I've graduated and been working in the 9-to-5-sit-in-a-cubicle-all-day environment I'm finding that I truly hate it. There is no way I can see myself doing this forever.
You could be one of those guys who become the working from 9 am to 9 pm sit in an ambulance all day and truly hate it kind of guys. There is a very high attrition rate in EMS, a lot of people get sick of being in an ambulance all day with a call here or there.

I haven't driven lights and sirens yet, but when I do, I'll drive at the speed I am comfortable at. I'll already be making up time being able to drive into the emergency lane, having some vehicles move out of the way, and going through red lights. For most emergencies, lights and sirens are over done. Focus more on being smooth and safe, not fast. Vehicle accidents are pretty high on the list of reasons EMTs/Paramedics die. Speed is also a major contributing factor to mortality in accidents (more than size and weight of the vehicle if I recall correctly). Driving without lights and sirens, my partners complain I drive too slow even though I am driving the speed limit, but when I am driving, they can complain all they like about it... safety is on the top of my list while driving. It's unfortunate that they think it's okay for them to drive just a little bit faster than the speed limit cause "who's gonna pull over an ambulance?", how professional...

For some calls I've done, I've had to take a deep breath cause it's a bit emotional. As EMTs and Paramedics, we are human too. I don't think it's usually too hard during the actual call, but if there was anything sad, or maybe something that kind of made you wanna say "Aw" like a baby crying (I always get that feeling of "Awwwwwwww" when the babies in the NICU cry), I'll talk about it with my partner afterwards, or maybe a close friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
HelloChello

HelloChello

Forum Probie
You could be one of those guys who become the working from 9 am to 9 pm sit in an ambulance all day and truly hate it kind of guys. There is a very high attrition rate in EMS, a lot of people get sick of being in an ambulance all day with a call here or there.

Well, the way I see it, I already know I hate the cubicle thing. So why not try something new that I've always been curious about? Trust me, I know that EMS isn't always GO-GO-GO and there will be down time. But I also know that I'm young and dont have anything to tie me down right now so if I'm going to try this, it might as well be now.

As for the driving, I guess you're right. If I'm uncomfortable at the speed I feel like I NEED to be going, I will likely make mistakes. Safety first! :p

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Well, the way I see it, I already know I hate the cubicle thing. So why not try something new that I've always been curious about? Trust me, I know that EMS isn't always GO-GO-GO and there will be down time. But I also know that I'm young and dont have anything to tie me down right now so if I'm going to try this, it might as well be now.

As for the driving, I guess you're right. If I'm uncomfortable at the speed I feel like I NEED to be going, I will likely make mistakes. Safety first! :p

If you hate the cubicle thing now it's just going to get worse. The time to make major changes in your life is now when you have less to lose. You have youth and minimal obligations on your side so I say go for it. The cubical will be there waiting if you decide you can't hack EMS.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Don't worry about driving just yet...assuming you become an EMT, your agency should provide you with some sort of formal training. If they're at the lazier end of the spectrum, they should at least provide you some opportunity to drive unoccupied to get a feel for the ambulance.

I'm pretty inexperienced in driving / riding L+S compared to many here, but I can tell you that ambulances and excessive speed don't mix well. Driving through intersections and splitting slow moving traffic-filled streets is far more stressful for me than driving at speed. You are much more valuable as a safe, smooth, and cautious driver than a "fast" one. Go rent a U-Haul for a day and practice driving,, backing up using only your mirrors, and parallel parking to get an idea of what driving an ambulance is like...I'm sure you'll get used to it.

As for handling the calls...you just need to get out there and do it. Get as much experience as you can on ride-alongs, hospital observations, and the like while you're still in school to see if its something you can see yourself doing long-term, and try to check out these forums and some blogs to get an insight into what the job actually entails.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
After all is said and done, it'll probably end up being a have to thing. If you have to know about this slice of life (and YOU!), then you'll do it. For what it's worth, EMS is worth it just to stretch your capabilities as a human being.

And when you step into the fire, sometimes you get singed. As an accountant, you can bankrupt someone. As a medic...

The only thing that is different between EMS and any other job is you're playing with much higher stakes. Respect that first and all else will follow.

OP
OP
HelloChello

HelloChello

Forum Probie
The fact that an EMS career has a lot more on the line in terms of someone's life as opposed to someone's belongings makes this decision perhaps a bit harder. I know that I can learn the material. Knowing how I will perform under the pressure, however, is something I'm unsure about since I've never been in that situation.

Around here, there are only a few places to get your EMT-IV and they all start class in the fall. So I have a bit of time to figure it out. In January I am going to take a first responder course so I can do ride-alongs with my local ambulance services (it's required for insurance purposes apparently). I think doing several ride-along's and talking with more people in the field will let me know if I am making the right decision...or it will at least give me an idea anyway.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
The fact that an EMS career has a lot more on the line in terms of someone's life as opposed to someone's belongings makes this decision perhaps a bit harder. I know that I can learn the material. Knowing how I will perform under the pressure, however, is something I'm unsure about since I've never been in that situation.

Around here, there are only a few places to get your EMT-IV and they all start class in the fall. So I have a bit of time to figure it out. In January I am going to take a first responder course so I can do ride-alongs with my local ambulance services (it's required for insurance purposes apparently). I think doing several ride-along's and talking with more people in the field will let me know if I am making the right decision...or it will at least give me an idea anyway.

Sounds like you're taking the right steps so far...third riding and observation time will help you out immensely.

Does this local ambulance service have volunteers? If so, that might be an ideal place to start to see if you like EMS. You can keep your day job and likely volunteer around your schedule, get some experience under your belt, and go from there.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
It sounds like you've got the right idea. Don't jump right in without seeing whether it's really the job for you. Keep your job until you're sure... and maybe even then. I know a lot of volunteers who ride ambulances to keep from going crazy in their cubicles, and stay in their cubicles so that they can afford a comfortable living.

First responder isn't a very useful course if you'll be continuing to EMT-B anyways. Ask around and see if you can find an agency that'll let you ride without it, or see if you're near a volunteer agency that will send you to EMT for free in exchange for taking shifts. (If you find one, though, ask around about its reputation. A bad agency is often worse than none at all. On the other hand, a good one can provide some really solid experience and industry contacts. EMS is a really small world.)

If you do wind up liking it, your degree could still help you someday. EMS isn't a career with much upward mobility, and it doesn't leave you with many options once your body gets too old or injured for the job. Having accounting experience could help get you into management or logistics if that happens.

Don't worry about driving for now. Speed comes with practice and training, and your agency should take care of those.

OP
OP
HelloChello

HelloChello

Forum Probie
I have to be a certified first responder if I want to do ride-along's with any of the local services. It will also allow me to do first responder calls with my volunteer fire department which may not be much help towards my EMT-IV but will give me some sort of idea about how things work on scene anyway.

I am trying to be smart about this and not rush into things. The more I think things through the more scared but EXCITED I get. Haha.

It all boils down to the fact that I want nothing more to do a job that makes me feel worthwhile and brings happiness in some form to my life. I'm not getting that from my accounting jobs. If that means taking a major pay-cut I'm willing to do that. Money isn't everything. ^_^