A question pertaining to applying to an EMT program

ChristineG

Forum Ride Along
Howdy all, I'm new here and I have a question pertaining to applying to an EMT program. I live in Florida and have been wanting to apply for the EMT program that we have at the college I currently attend. I'm sure you have all had to do the application process, so I assume someone may be able to answer my question. But, let me end this extremely long intro and get to it. :D

I am currently on prescription meds (Cymbalta, Remeron, and Morphine) for pain problems/depression. Was in a bad accident 4 years ago, and fractured my sacrum and pelvis. Had fusion surgery etc. Well, I know I have to take a drug screening test, and function perfectly fine on my medication/take it as prescribed (not abused; although I can't stand taking medication at all I have no other choice) but I don't know if since I'm on these medications, if they will allow me to even become an EMT/take the test etc. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to be on my prescription meds and still follow through with the application/be accepted despite the fact that I'm prescribed medication? This is something I really want to do with my life.. and if I have to suffer and be in pain 24/7 in order to do something I want to do for a living, then I'll stop my prescriptions. But it's just going to suck being in all that pain..

If anyone can help me out with an answer to this I will be forever in debt to you <3 :D

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
When you go to take a drug test for a company obviously the drugs will show up. However if you have prescriptions for them I am pretty sure it cant be used against you. As long as you show proof of prescription? As long as you can do the job with no problems you should be fine... I wouldn't quote me on this however. Seeing as how I have never been on anything or had a problem like this. :\ Good luck hope all goes well.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Often before you are drug tested, either the ordering company or the contractor performing the test (and observing the sample) will ask whether you have anything to declare, and often indicate it on the sample submission form. Make sure that if asked, you mention it, and discuss it with the employer BEFORE the sample is taken.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Will you be able to do the work? Lifting? Etc. If you are in a lot of pain or on narcotics you probably won't be thinking clearly leaving your partner, pt and yourself at risk. Not trying to discourage you I would not want to spend the time and money training on something i wouldnt be able to use. Good luck.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
As long as your not abusing them it should not be a problem.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
If you have a valid Rx for the meds you test positive for you will be alright from a legal point of view.. As for the morphine our local State College would require you to have an original MD note stating that you are NOT imparied by the drug or the injury and could function as an EMT.

Different schools have different policies I would suggest checking with the one you wish to attend.

musicistheforce

Forum Probie
I trained in Florida, and I know at my community college we had to have a physical. Are you able to lift 125 lbs by yourself? I know that was one of our requirements. When/if you do a drug test make sure to state that you are on those medications and be able to produce a prescription (for proof).

OP
OP
C

ChristineG

Forum Ride Along
I have the strength to pick up things over 100 pounds by myself, but my back pain at the end of the day is excruciating. I have so much energy and so much strength though, so it really isn't an issue while on the job it's just an issue afterwards. Typically when I take my medication I function normally, I'm not impaired nor do I feel impaired. If I ever did feel that way, I wouldn't even think of doing such a job considering I would be putting someone's life in danger. Also, I don't know if I'm going to be on this medication forever, I for one would much rather not be and probably get fed up soon /discontinue taking them. Blah, life really likes to throw barriers at people who don't deserve them. D: Thank you all for your help and advice. :mellow:

EMTHokie

Forum Probie
Not to discourage you, but this job definitely won't help your back pain. Might be a good idea to consult with a doc first. Hope it all works out for you. (btw, does heat help you back pain, something to consider if you haven't tried it)

OP
OP
C

ChristineG

Forum Ride Along
Not to discourage you, but this job definitely won't help your back pain. Might be a good idea to consult with a doc first. Hope it all works out for you. (btw, does heat help you back pain, something to consider if you haven't tried it)

I have. I've had this issue since my accident for about 4 years. Have had multiple surgeries. I've tried it all.. haha. But thank you. Warm baths help but only temporarily. :[

EMTHokie

Forum Probie
I have. I've had this issue since my accident for about 4 years. Have had multiple surgeries. I've tried it all.. haha. But thank you. Warm baths help but only temporarily. :[

Get one of those plug in heating pads, at least you'll be able to rest on one while watching TV or just relaxing on the couch. Wouldn't recommend falling asleep with one though.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Harsh reality

I have the strength to pick up things over 100 pounds by myself, but my back pain at the end of the day is excruciating.

Christine, this job is a back-killer for those in prime shape.

It has nothing to do with lifting X amount of pounds, it's about balance, distribution of weight, use of accessory muscles; all variables that must be consciously juggled in an instant and they really do not have the time to wait for you to think about how best to move the patient without causing further harm to your back/future.

NO job is worth a lifetime of evenings full of excruciating pain and this job is not 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in most services. There are ways you can be involved in EMS (like Dispatcher) without putting yourself in jeopardy.

Needing Morphine to function -- given all the variables you must deal with in the field -- would be a deal-killer in my book, prescription or otherwise. Considering our number one rule is "Do no further harm to yourself" I'd say your time would be much better spent looking elsewhere than on-scene patient care and transport.

I'm sure you can find something related to EMS that will not be so detrimental to your body. Best of luck!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to the Education and Training Section and created a more accurate title to the thread.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I am 98% positive that where I work needing to take morphine during work hours would disqualify you from employment. If you were ever involved in an incident it would be very very hard to prove it was not caused by you being affected by the morphine. If you only take it at night or as needed your chance of being hired would be much higher.

I also agree with the people above about rethinking your choice to go to emt school. TONS of healthy, strong people develop permanent back problems because of dumb incidents/accidents. Perfect form won't save you if the other guy slips and you end up off balance holding all the weight.

You also have to consider that if you do sustain a back injury at work workers comp will use your pre existing condition to do everything they can to refuse to pay. Same goes for disability payments if your injury prevents you from returning to work.