A few career questions.....

Lawnmusic

Forum Ride Along
Hey emtlife. For a class of mine I need to ask a few questions (it's one of those informational interviews) and I would greatly appreciate if you guys can help me out. Thanks

1. How did you get into this career?
2.What is a typical day on the job like?
3.What are essential skills that you need to have to be successful
4. What's the best/worst thing about the job?
5.If you were to leave this job, where would you go?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Hey emtlife. For a class of mine I need to ask a few questions (it's one of those informational interviews) and I would greatly appreciate if you guys can help me out. Thanks

Parents: My dad's a 22-year paramedic, my stepmom a 12-year paramedic.
Army- It's boring, full of retarded people who quote regs and make everything about 'professional development'. Not a good place.
Culberson EMS- It's quiet for the most part, calls are normal.
Be willing to learn! I learn something new literally every day. Every single shift @ Culberson, be it from someone else or myself.
Best is helping people. Worst is the Army.
Police work.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Sustained an injury early in life, and if it wasnt for the Paramedics doing there job, i would not be alive today.
Show up to the station, turn coffee pot on, rig/med checks, go to the store for groceries, make meals, paper work, station duties. O and the occasional call.
3.What are essential skills that you need to have to be successful?
Staying calm, understanding what your role is on the rig, being respectful, expecting the unexpected
The people i work with and being able to help strangers in what they think is the worst situations of their lives. Worst thing, Pediatric calls.
Nursing

Missedcue

Forum Crew Member
My wife was a Mt. rescuer in High School. She thought I'd like it, and she was right.
Every day is different, that's what I like. basically sit in the rig for 12 hours, nap, eat, drink coffee, run some calls, joke with my partner, etc.
A sense of humor is a MUST, a desire to learn and be curious.
I like the variety of people I meet and on occasion I feel like I really helped someone. (I also like driving fast and running red lights, let's be honest). the worst part is probably the BS that comes down from corporate, and being handcuffed by some protocols.
Medic, RN, PA, remote medical... who knows.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
-I originally wanted to be a FF, as it was a family thing. Then I found out I had to be a paramedic, so I took an EMT-B course and I fell in love with EMS.
-Arrive at the station, turn on coffee pot, turn on news while I cook breakfast, rig/med check, check email/EMSPro, lunch, study, TV, dinner, sleep. Occasionally I'll run a few calls in there somewhere.
-Common sense, empathy, understanding, critical thinking skills, respect, and being able to accept criticism
-Best thing: probably the interaction I get to have with people from different ends of the socioeconomic spectrum.
-Worst thing: That's tough to say, I love pretty much everything about my job. I suppose it would be the drama that seems to unfold throughout my company on a weekly basis.
-That's tough...probably to nursing

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
When I got out of the army I joined a local FD and they paid for my schooling. My intention was a full time FF job. I eventually gravitated more towards EMS

We are the exception. We average 2-4 calls a shift (24s) and have a very laxed enviroment. As long as the truck is good to go and the station is clean we can do whatever we want

Never stop trying to learn as much as you can. Things are constantly changing and you should keep up with them

I love the schedule and our pay is great. Worst thing is the damn politics

5.If you were to leave this job, where would you go? Im currently getting back into school with the eventual goal of NP. Otherwise I'd do some overseas contracts

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

I enjoyed lifeguarding and first aid classes in high school, so I took EMT when the opportunity came up. Obviously, I liked that too.

Fairly quiet. Show up, check the rig, wash the rig, deal with any leftover paperwork, study, work out, run some calls, deal with whoever drops in. Most calls aren't serious.

Common sense, good attitude, curiosity, the ability to be empathic without getting too wrapped up in your patients' emergencies, people skills, and the ability to take feedback well.

Best: you meet all sorts of people, and see all sorts of things.
Worst: you meet all sorts of people, and see all sorts of things. Lack of sleep, constant politics, and the lack of options if you get disabled or old are major considerations, too.

Not sure.