A couple of question for a wanna be Paramedic

stevebos

Forum Ride Along
Hey Im new and not a paramedic yet still in high school and am curiso about a couple things.
How often do partners change partners or is it a new partner every day?
What do you carry on your belt when on duty ?

Thanks

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Two questions without solid answers-- they vary greatly based on where you work, system design, etc. Are these really the only questions a high school student asks before embarking in a possible career? Are you not interested in opportunities for further education? Salary and shift information?

To answer your question... again, it varies, but you are generally working with the same people, and often on a rotation. Search through this forum for discussions of belt contents. You'll find that as you (or any other EMT/Paramedic) gets more experience, or spends more time on the road, items disappear from your belt and pockets, compared to the ricky rescues that begin in the business...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Depends. You might have a new partner everyday, or you might have the same one for years. My last partner and I were together for 9 months. Only time we had someone different is if one of us took the day off.

If you find a partner you get along with, and work well with, it is better that way.

OP
OP
S

stevebos

Forum Ride Along
Two questions without solid answers-- they vary greatly based on where you work, system design, etc. Are these really the only questions a high school student asks before embarking in a possible career? Are you not interested in opportunities for further education? Salary and shift information?

To answer your question... again, it varies, but you are generally working with the same people, and often on a rotation. Search through this forum for discussions of belt contents. You'll find that as you (or any other EMT/Paramedic) gets more experience, or spends more time on the road, items disappear from your belt and pockets, compared to the ricky rescues that begin in the business...
Oh I have already gather a lot of information on education alary and shift form a family friend who works as a paramedic. These are just some questions which I was curios about.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
You may need to worry about spelling first. Second thing is you must make it through the EMT portion before you can move on to Paramedic. It seems you are worrying about things that really do not matter at this point.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Like others said, it varies greatly with each system. We usually keep the same partners for awhile, but we switch stations every couple of months. The only thing I carry on my belt is a radio, however, I'll carry pens (lots of pens), a notepad, trauma shears and my stethoscope in my pockets. The most important tool is your mind, focus on sharpening that one before looking into a bunch of gadgets.

EDIT: +1 to cajun, hence my last comment

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have a shift bid every 4 months. If you and your partner get along well you can bid for the same shift and end up together longer than 4 months. Shift bid goes on seniority though so there's no guarantees you'll get what you want.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Let's disregard the question and focus on the grammar,:rolleyes:. Both are good questions. In my opinion, finding a good partner makes a huge difference all around when it comes to your working experience. Makes the shift a little more tolerable at times, you can bounce ideas and questions off each other, etc. As far as tools go, to hell with anyone else, if you want to wear items on your belt, go for it.

EMTswag

Forum Crew Member
Hey Im new and not a paramedic yet still in high school and am curiso about a couple things.
How often do partners change partners or is it a new partner every day?
What do you carry on your belt when on duty ?

Thanks

Most paramedics don a full duty belt complete with the largest size maglite and holster, two glove pouches, belt keepers, complete trauma kit on the strong side and pocket cpr mask and bvm pouch on the weak side, as well as a radio strap and spare radio. off duty.

The on duty belt is much more intricate. too long to explain in a post.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Not sure if serious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk