999 girl’s snub to dying baby

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Non story, she was by herself without a partner. In my service that ambulance wouldn't be considered in service and available for dispatch, no matter what the call was.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Single crewed vehicles are still used here not by choice but because there simply no other resource available (including volunteers) to provide the second pair of hands in some instances, mainly in rural areas.

If a crew is on a break here, they can have one exception to the mandated break rule and go to a job, but after that job they must be stood down for a break with no exceptions and another resource is moved in for cover.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I don't read tabloids. Was this in a real newspaper? Seems like it's been dramatized for TV.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Wow! Those are some hard core work rules. Makes the unions here sound tame by comparison. If they are so short on people there maybe they should ease up on training requirements a bit. It seems like (at least in this instance) a poorly or at least less trained response would be better than no response at all.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
I've had the fun of running single provider on a squad, so I don't really see the big deal with responding to this call. Granted, you can't transport single provider, but you can at least assess and treat while waiting for another provider or a transport unit.

You might not be able to save them, but you might be able to slow down the process.

Aidey

Wow! Those are some hard core work rules. Makes the unions here sound tame by comparison. If they are so short on people there maybe they should ease up on training requirements a bit. It seems like (at least in this instance) a poorly or at least less trained response would be better than no response at all.

Huh? What does the story have to do with training requirements? For all we know the woman's partner called in sick and they hadn't found a replacement yet. That doesn't mean they are short staffed or have over the top training requirements. I don't think most services can produce an EMT/Medic instantly when someone calls in sick. There are also any number of reasons her partner could have been running late and wasn't there yet.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Single crewed vehicles are still used here not by choice but because there simply no other resource available (including volunteers) to provide the second pair of hands in some instances, mainly in rural areas.

If a crew is on a break here, they can have one exception to the mandated break rule and go to a job, but after that job they must be stood down for a break with no exceptions and another resource is moved in for cover.

This is what i was responding to. If Mr.Brown thinks they are short staffed then they probably are.

Aidey

Mr. Brown is in Oz, the article is from Scotland.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't blame the poor girl. She was a trainee medic, and this was a pediatric code, she was probably scared out of her mind. Also, why was her unit in-service? Do they not check in/out of service over there?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Isn't The Sun UK's version of The Star or The Enquirer? Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If the kid is already coded out of hospital, they do not come back except in the very specific circumstances.

Call is better routed to the coroner.

AndyK

Forum Crew Member
Isn't The Sun UK's version of The Star or The Enquirer? Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Yup, "The Sun" is well known for running sensationalist stories.. If I told you it has a picture of a topless female on page 3 every day you'll probably get an idea of it's target audience!

I'm pretty sure the decency rules prohibit the repitition of them, but there are number of jokes about sun readers :rolleyes:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Mr. Brown is in Oz, the article is from Scotland.

Where from fail

browny.png

Aidey

Well, I knew it wasn't Scotland, lol.

That is a failure to ingest enough caffeine related fail.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Let's be real it looks like it was a SIDS case which means probably significant down time. Any response by the trainee would probably have not made a difference. I am a student/trainee and when I have had a partner call in sick or gO home early I have been sent alone to jobs. Without being judgmental I feel this trainee neglected to perform her paid and expected duty. Once she qualifies she will have a trainee of her own and will be expected to run pediatric arrests. At my service when we are logged on we must respond to code 1s and code 2as regardless of meal breaks etc. The only proviso is that once we clear a job or hospital after our finish time we must be put out of service and made ubavailable.