911 Operator Says Kidnap Victim Was Wasting His Time, Victim killed

Hockey

Quackers
How stupid can people be? Seriously! I hope they find some hard charges for him. He...basically...let her be killed

911 Operator Says Kidnap Victim Was Wasting His Time

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A 911 operator is under investigation for lecturing a kidnapping victim who was later found slain.

While operator Alan Ballard was on the phone with victim Loyta Stoley, he told her, "You are making us do a lot of work that we don't need to be doing," a tape of the 911 call reveals

Read the rest, listen to the tapes, and get ready to be extremely outraged!

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
Wow! His total disregard of the situation is awesome, the fact that he is still employed makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :glare:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
First thing, news agencies, STOP WITH THE DAMN BEEPS. From now on, I forbid people from using beeps. They are now required to use music to blank out personal info.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at the facts. No concern from the dad. NO CONCERN FROM THE VICTIM. The victim says nothing bad is happening. The victim kept saying she was ok and she was going to stop by her job. The victim WAS ON THE PHONE WITH THE POLICE AND NEVER ASKED FOR HELP. The victim never made an attempt to run away. The victim says "I'm perfectly fine".

The lady had no fear at all for her own safety.

Lets put it in an EMS perspective. If a PT refuses care lawfully, you push and push to get them to accept care, correct? If the pt dies after you did your job, and they lawfully refused care, should you get thrown in jail? The dispatcher kept her on the phone and kept pressing her to tell him where he is so he could send cops. She wouldn't allow it.

If the dispatcher would have stopped 5 minutes in to the call, then I'd be for punishment, but fact is he spent nearly an hour trying to do his job that the victim would not let him do. I can understand the skepticism.

Unfortunate, yes. But not unexpected considering the circumstances, and I place no blame on the dispatcher.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I thought about this some after reading it... I don't know what to think.

The woman DID say she was okay. But she's with her kidnapper. What do you think he would do if she starts going "Help me! Help me!" But then again, she could have simply answered "Yes".

I also see the dispatcher's point of view. Launch a search and possibly occupying resources for some nutjob playing a prank?

It's unfortunate it happened, but I don't feel blame should be shifted anywhere.