Site Administrator
Community Leader

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Bio-WAR!!!!!

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I remember having the mumps when I was a kid, and looking like Alvin the Chipmunk, but it was worth a few days laid up on the couch watching TV. Hey, can you get mumps again? Or are you immune once you've had it?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
MariaCatEMT said:
I remember having the mumps when I was a kid, and looking like Alvin the Chipmunk, but it was worth a few days laid up on the couch watching TV. Hey, can you get mumps again? Or are you immune once you've had it?
I think you shouldn't be able to get it again.. should be like the vaccine... you'll have the antibodies in your body to fight it off.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
MedicStudentJon said:
I think you shouldn't be able to get it again.. should be like the vaccine... you'll have the antibodies in your body to fight it off.

Dr. Jon..........

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay here is what I found..

"Mumps is presumed to confer permanent immunity. Three patients previously known to possess mumps serum antibodies subsequently developed clinical parotitis and showed a diagnostic fourfold rise in mumps V antibody. A review of the literature disclosed several cases of parotitis, either recurrent or postimmunization, but the preparotitis immune status of the patient was unknown or the cause of the mumps was not verified. Case reports of parotitis due to parainfluenza 3 and coxsackie viruses A and the heterotypic serological responses among the myxoviruses are reviewed. Parotitis, especially after prior immunization, requires definitive diagnosis by viral isolation and/or serology before it can be attributed to mumps virus".............

There are reported several cases of severity even death. Encephalitis to myocarditis, to male sterlity to loss of hearing... so mumps is no joking matter.

Be sure you are immunized !
R/r 911

Summit

Critical Crazy
Just wait until the new avian flu strain goes human to human and gets on a plane...