4 year old with heart rate of 260

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Um, how many small, adult females do you know with similar BPs?
Ok, so then please enlighten us. What is the absolute low side for this patient, and what is normal? According to you. And we'll just disregard the widely accepted means of determining normal SBP on a child, for whom you do not have an endless trend of BP's to compare to.
I can't say I regularly check BP's on most small, adult females I know. Now prophylactic 12 leads are a different story *questionable ethics emoticon*

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Um, how many small, adult females do you know with similar BPs?

I'm sorry, is that a serious question? If I am understanding you right, you think an 80/60 is an ok pressure in a small ADULT female? So if you are in the field and see that on the monitor you just say, "hey you are a small adult female, nothing to be concerned about, oh except you may be in shock."

Am I missing something here, someone? Bueller?

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
80/60 is ok in an older large adult male (at least this one) so it can be ok in anyone. Just depends what there press is normally

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
80+(2x4)=88 being the AVERAGE, so.....ok...
Yes. And 70 + (4x2) being the low limit, so 78. His BP is 80. How is that not on the low end? I realize everyone may have vital signs that are normal at whatever you want. But we have a means of determining normal when you don't have a baseline for a reason.
So if you found an unconscious adult patient with a SBP of 80, you would call that normal and move on?

ricardoj

Forum Probie
Nothing happens in a vacuum. I think everyone is too focused on a number. The number doesn't "really" matter. It's all about the overall presentation. For arguments sake, I have a pt with a BP of 70/40 who's mentating, walking, talking, perfect picture of health, I'm not going to be too gung ho to do much for them at all as far as interventions. Even though the 70 SBP is textbook "low."

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Yes. And 70 + (4x2) being the low limit, so 78. His BP is 80. How is that not on the low end? I realize everyone may have vital signs that are normal at whatever you want. But we have a means of determining normal when you don't have a baseline for a reason.
So if you found an unconscious adult patient with a SBP of 80, you would call that normal and move on?

The equation i stated was for pediatric pts only.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
The equation i stated was for pediatric pts only.
Sorry, I read the post below yours as being from you too, disregard

Nothing happens in a vacuum. I think everyone is too focused on a number. The number doesn't "really" matter. It's all about the overall presentation. For arguments sake, I have a pt with a BP of 70/40 who's mentating, walking, talking, perfect picture of health, I'm not going to be too gung ho to do much for them at all as far as interventions. Even though the 70 SBP is textbook "low."
I'm not saying focus in on the pressure and nothing else. This was more a response to @MackTheKnife saying the kids pressure was fine

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'd call it SVT and treat as appropriate.