3rd rides/clinicals

DCAP BTLS

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone....I'm new to the fourms so I am not real sure if it is okay to post here but anyways....I start clinicals the 26th of Dec and I was wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me. Any do's or dont's I need to know about. It would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Sara

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
If you don't know ask. Show up on time and in uniform. If your program doesn't have a uniform dress professional.

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I always love when a rider brings donuts mmm.. ok i kid i kid.. but seriously if you don't know ask before you attempt it and screw up. And it doesn't hurt to just say you don't know how to do something.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Be at least 15min early. Be prepared. Be well groomed.

Ask questions. Be eager. My biggest pet peeve is when I ask a student if they want to go over anything, and the response I get is "No, I think I've got it down." Oh really? Because I've been doing this for over 3 years and I still don't have everything down. Along the same lines, don't be a know-it-all.

Get in there and be active and a part of the scene. If you stand back, they aren't going to pull you in.

If your crew is doing work (not related to a call), help them. Or at least offer to help them. While it's not your job, they are taking their time to help you learn. It won't hurt you to mop a floor with them in return.

After a call, ask questions about it. Look in your book and read up on it. See what you missed or try and relate it to things you've learned.

And don't be a toolbag.

OP
OP
D

DCAP BTLS

Forum Ride Along
My clinical papers say bring:
Clinical Notebook
Clinical Uniform
Name Badge
Stethoscope
Watch
Ink Pens

Is there anything else I should bring like snacks or water and if so what should I bring them in?...Everyones help is greatly appreciated. :)

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
Bringing a lunchbox/bag is appropriate. Also bring money just in case, if the crew goes out to eat, you dont want to just sit there with water eating the free bread.

74restore

Forum Crew Member
All of the above are good ideas...

But definitely bring Doughnuts! When I was doing my ride times, it was a great ice-breaker (especially at 0700 at a busy service) when the medics/firefighters see breakfast in your hands! They appreciate it!

If you have some downtime and you notice others around you doing work/cleaning, you better pick up and help them. Easy way to turn your soon to be mentors against you is to sit and WATCH them clean. If they say they don't need help, then don't worry about it.

Ask Questions after the call.

If you can't get a manual BP in the back of a moving ambulance, just say "I can't get it." It's hard. I still can't get it sometimes. Making up numbers will only piss people off.

Remember your training and have fun!

Sublime

LP, RN
Bringing a lunchbox/bag is appropriate. Also bring money just in case, if the crew goes out to eat, you dont want to just sit there with water eating the free bread.

This. I had a student show up one time and brought no lunch or money....

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey everyone....I'm new to the fourms so I am not real sure if it is okay to post here but anyways....I start clinicals the 26th of Dec and I was wondering if anyone had any advice they could give me. Any do's or dont's I need to know about. It would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Sara

Do's
  • Show up on time
  • Show up in uniform (BDU + White/Navy collared shirt if one is not provided)
  • Bring a pen
  • Bring a small notebook
  • Bring a stethoscope
  • Bring drug cards / study materials
  • Familiarize yourself with the house bag / jump bag
  • Encourage your preceptor to quiz you
  • Familiarize your preceptor with your Level and Clinical experience
  • Ask what your preceptor's expectations are of you
  • Be polite, courteous, and humble

Don'ts
  • Tell war stories
  • Tell the preceptor you're there to "start IV's and intubate"
  • Stand in the back of the room
  • Operate the stretcher without asking
  • Say you know how to do something when you don't
  • Expect to be allowed to do everything in your scope

I don't expect my students to bring food/coffee and I'd rather they bring flash cards / drug cards and questions (and bring answers to my questions).

You're there for clinical experience not to be quiet and carry bags all day, don't be shy about getting in there and grabbing vitals or a history. If you feel comfortable, or even if you don't, ask if you can be the Lead (a good paramedic realizes patient assessment is not an ALS skill).

Veneficus

Forum Chief

this

But definitely bring Doughnuts! When I was doing my ride times, it was a great ice-breaker (especially at 0700 at a busy service) when the medics/firefighters see breakfast in your hands! They appreciate it!!

and this...

When I was first doing clinicals all of my very capable preceptors reminded me I was there to learn, not to provide free labor or do other peoples' work.

Following their teaching, students should not be helping clean anything in my view. Nor sould they be expected or permitted to.

In addition to there being a difference between a student and an apprentice, there is also a difference between a student and "the new guy."