200 Dollars Later.. Next DMV?

EMTfromSanJac

Forum Probie
I can't believe I just spent 200 bucks on Tuesday for Riverside County and State Registration and FBI/DOJ Livescan. All this money and no job yet. Should I go to the DMV now to get my Ambulance Drivers License and then apply for a job or try and apply with out it? Sucks cause I dont have Medical coverage so I have to pay out of pocket for a physical for the DMV Medical Cert. the cheapest doctors I could find is 85 bucks. Anyone know of a cheaper place let me know.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
If it makes you feel any better, here's a quick run down of the costs I incurred during my job hunt.

- F-class driver's license $85.00
- Driver's Medical exam $75.00
- Physical Agility Evaluation $300.00
- Provincial Exam Fee $250.00
- Supplementary Physician's Notes $150.00
- Rental for Driver's Exam $125.00

Not counting gas costs for driving to interviews and testing (usually 2-3 stages per job) around the province. Anywhere from $400-600.

Luckily EMS doesn't charge application fees for each job like FD does. Not yet anyways.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

ClayZB

Forum Ride Along
I've been checking out what licenses are required for my state, Missouri, and all they require is a Class E, which is what use to be a chauffeur's license. So all that is required is a test I believe. So the only cost I will have to fork over is the price to get a new license printed. lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
CA EMTs tend to get shafted since theres so much crap they have to get before they can start working

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Going through the same thing you are right now. This is what I would do (and I am in the process of doing it too). I'd go to DMV to grab the LiveScan paperwork, medical exam paperwork, which will also have the green card on it, and maybe buy an ambulance driver handbook. Schedule an appointment to take the ADL written test (within an hour drive range, the earliest appointment I could get was Jul 23 so you should schedule before getting the medical exam). I went to a local clinic to get an exam and it costed me $60. Gonna go get a LiveScan done again (ADL requires another LiveScan), and then on the day of the appointment, I am gonna bring all the paperwork for it and hopefully take the test and pass. Around here, it doesn't look like there are too much jobs you could get without an ADL, which is why I am going after it, but I don't know about Riverside. Here, we gotta Great America, Shoreline, and a couple of zoos that have EMTs. Hospitals are hard to get into cause they usually want people with at least 6 months experience.

CA_EMT

Forum Ride Along
...Around here, it doesn't look like there are too much jobs you could get without an ADL, which is why I am going after it, but I don't know about Riverside. Here, we gotta Great America, Shoreline, and a couple of zoos that have EMTs. Hospitals are hard to get into cause they usually want people with at least 6 months experience.

And the Oakland Zoo's EMTs are volunteers so you wouldn't be able to recoup any of your money there anyway.

OP
OP
EMTfromSanJac

EMTfromSanJac

Forum Probie
Going through the same thing you are right now. This is what I would do (and I am in the process of doing it too). I'd go to DMV to grab the LiveScan paperwork, medical exam paperwork, which will also have the green card on it, and maybe buy an ambulance driver handbook. Schedule an appointment to take the ADL written test (within an hour drive range, the earliest appointment I could get was Jul 23 so you should schedule before getting the medical exam). I went to a local clinic to get an exam and it costed me $60. Gonna go get a LiveScan done again (ADL requires another LiveScan), and then on the day of the appointment, I am gonna bring all the paperwork for it and hopefully take the test and pass. Around here, it doesn't look like there are too much jobs you could get without an ADL, which is why I am going after it, but I don't know about Riverside. Here, we gotta Great America, Shoreline, and a couple of zoos that have EMTs. Hospitals are hard to get into cause they usually want people with at least 6 months experience.

Sounds like a plan!!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hey, that plan is copyrighted. :D $5 please. *puts out hand* :D

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Life was once so simple:

"Hey, Buddy?"
"Yeah."
"You got a driver's license?"
"Yeah."
"You puke at the sight of blood?"
"Nah!"
"When can you start?"

angels.girl84

Forum Crew Member
Temecula 24 hr urgent care does them for 65$

I can't believe I just spent 200 bucks on Tuesday for Riverside County and State Registration and FBI/DOJ Livescan. All this money and no job yet. Should I go to the DMV now to get my Ambulance Drivers License and then apply for a job or try and apply with out it? Sucks cause I dont have Medical coverage so I have to pay out of pocket for a physical for the DMV Medical Cert. the cheapest doctors I could find is 85 bucks. Anyone know of a cheaper place let me know.