1 Year Later

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Hello,

I graduated EMT-B class last fall semester (2011) and got an A in the class, took the NREMT and passed it first try.

Now, I am a college student since, never got a job with the cert.

Is it possible to work in college? Maybe volunteer as an EMT? It's been a while since I got the cert, but my card is still valid.

I feel like I still remember some of the information, but I'm sure I dont remember everything.

Is it worth it to give up on this if I'm looking to just use my cert as a part time job through college, or will I get hired even given the amount of time that has elapsed?

Are there part time summer opportunities of hospitals or any places that usually accept small amount of hours, and volunteer work?

Thanks

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Hello,

I graduated EMT-B class last fall semester (2011) and got an A in the class, took the NREMT and passed it first try.

Now, I am a college student since, never got a job with the cert.

Is it possible to work in college? Maybe volunteer as an EMT? It's been a while since I got the cert, but my card is still valid.

I feel like I still remember some of the information, but I'm sure I dont remember everything.

Is it worth it to give up on this if I'm looking to just use my cert as a part time job through college, or will I get hired even given the amount of time that has elapsed?

Are there part time summer opportunities of hospitals or any places that usually accept small amount of hours, and volunteer work?

Thanks

Many colleges have a campus-response team. You might want to inquire and/or check out www.ncemsf.com for more info.

kurtemt

Forum Probie
yes it is still possible to get a job, but try not to wait too long. I know employers are weary about hiring people that have a lack of CE time because when your lisence is about to expire if you dont have the CE time and the time to get your CE time you are no good to them. best of luck

Lola99

Forum Lieutenant
I became certified as an EMT-B in February of 2010, but was still in high school at the time. Like you, I did well in class and testing. I worked a little as a basic doing mostly transfers that summer and also like you, went off to college. There were a few months where I didn't use my cert working (and let's face it, I didn't need much EMT knowledge to do dialysis transfers the majority of the time). I'm not sure where you're at, but at Indiana University where I was a student, they had a volunteer campus service that I helped with that covered lots of campus events. That's something to look into. If you can fit working into your schedule, the only thing anyone can really say is you won't know until you try. Put an app in at a few services and see what happens. Talk to services in your area. I didn't have any problems in Bloomington. Hospitals may use you as a tech, if you so choose. Although I will suggest that if you decide to do any of those, you should brush up on your skills first. I'm sure you know your stuff, but nobody likes to be rusty.
If you're not looking to work just to make money, but rather to keep your brain in shape, you can always ask about ride-alongs. Most places are open to that.

ticktoc

Forum Ride Along
Definitely find a place to volunteer. It will work well with your college schedule and after a while as a volunteer it very well could turn into a paid position. In addition, you will get your foot in the door, be able to find out when places are hiring and develop some connections to help you get that paid position. You'll meet some great people volunteering, will most likely be able to do more 911 calls, so don't count it out just because you aren't being paid to be there.