1 y/o F pt dunked in boiling water

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
The question I have is, if you are in councelling why the hell would you risk screwing it up by posting this to the public and allow scrutany?

Because chances are the counselor has never been in EMS and dealt with one of these situations in our mindset. This is not something you can really discuss with your girlfriend, etc... Sometimes, just being able to talk to another EMS provider can work wonders. When I worked the ANGEL team, I would come home and nights, and I would literally be in tears until time for my next shift. I saw crap like this all the time, my peers were the only people I really felt comfortable talking with about it.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
And really. If he drove the kid to the hospital hanging from the ceiling, dropped her on the bed in the ER and gave report and took off, he got something good done. She's away from the whacked-out mom.

I can't think of a single person who would berate or overly criticize anyone's performance in a thread like this. If he said, "I did XYZ, do you think that was a good idea? What could I do differently?" People would appropriately respond, and usually in a pretty gentle manner.

It's the people who arrogantly believe they know it all or who believe they have nothing new to learn who generally get brought down a notch or two.

People with the air of a learner can almost always be taught. And usually want to be taught. This person sounds like that to me.

Mobey

Forum Probie
Peer support?

Most of the councilors I know advocate finding or talking to people who have experienced similar situations.

Totally agree with this point.

I am certain that the internet is not the right place though. IF there were a few people on here ragging on the OP for this call, it could do serious damage.

I highly doubt any councillor worth seeing would suggest hitting the internet forums for "peer support"

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My reply sounded a little critical in it's questions.

Not intended to be. Just technical questions.
The "zebra sign" burn pattern is used in court to prove child abuse or murder.