What defines a 'wacker' vs a 'normal' EMT?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here in NM people seem to say "joey" instead of wacker.
Really? I had heard whacker more when I worked in NM... But then again I haven't had a ground gig in nm for going on 18 months.

Amber Lance

Forum Probie
Huh. Maybe there are regional variations in NM? When I moved here I remember using the word wacker a few times and they didn't know what I was talking about. I always thought "joey" was kind of a strange word for it. Made me think of kangaroos.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Huh. Maybe there are regional variations in NM? When I moved here I remember using the word wacker a few times and they didn't know what I was talking about. I always thought "joey" was kind of a strange word for it. Made me think of kangaroos.
Bus tends to set the trends for the central area. I worked in ValCo with Cross and AMR, and we seemed to pick up a lot of cues from gila and amr down south.

Amber Lance

Forum Probie
Yeah that makes sense. Incidentally I'm applying at Cross right now! Trying to augment the despair that is Superior with some 911 work.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah that makes sense. Incidentally I'm applying at Cross right now! Trying to augment the despair that is Superior with some 911 work.
Lol I got my start at superior. The old 3100 is my doing actually. Good luck with Cross... I know they are not.running much due to amr taking a lot of calls in the county

Amber Lance

Forum Probie
Haha I haven't heard about that but I have a feeling there's a story there...Thanks! I'm not looking for a huge number of shifts and they're looking for EMT-I's right now (I'm a soon-to-be intermediate), so hopefully it'll work out.

Tk11

Forum Captain
Do you really care if people think you're a "wacker".. You have a couple stickers on your car, who cares. It's a STICKER. I've seen people with star of life tattoos.. I think they're a little idiotic, but a STICKER on your car? Come on.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
You mean he told you what you wanted to hear? Odd that you would choose a reply that is in line with what you want to do as the "best answer."
You seem to have a personal problem with me. You've been very quick to accuse. Actually, he has the highest rated answer on this thread. His answer is what a wacker is, not what makes a person a wacker -- I already know that's subjective. Which is what I asked. So before you start pointing fingers, I suggest you read what I even asked.

I guess I am going to be the voice of dissent here. I don't think having 2 small stars of life on the back of your vehicle makes you a whacker. There is nothing wrong with being proud of what you are but think of it as a penis. It's cool to be proud of it but becomes a problem when you wave it in other people's face.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
Do you really care if people think you're a "wacker".. You have a couple stickers on your car, who cares. It's a STICKER. I've seen people with star of life tattoos.. I think they're a little idiotic, but a STICKER on your car? Come on.
I don't care at all lol. I just wanted to know what the term meant, because I've heard it used periodically.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
You seem to have a personal problem with me. You've been very quick to accuse. Actually, he has the highest rated answer on this thread. His answer is what a wacker is, not what makes a person a wacker -- I already know that's subjective. Which is what I asked. So before you start pointing fingers, I suggest you read what I even asked.

No one here has a personal problem with you. You asked about a term that vastly differs from person to person. Just because someones opinion is different from another doesn't make either one more right or wrong. If someone thinks having a sticker on your vehicle makes you a wacker then you're a wacker to that person. Just because someone has a opinion that doesn't run along the lines of yours doesn't make it wrong. Also the way you worded your reply to the post in question sounded like you agreed to it because its what you wanted to hear.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I liked it because he said penis. The end.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I liked it because he said penis. The end.
I'm pretty sure that's why everyone liked it. It's very difficult to include the word penis and not have your post deleted or edited by the community leaders haha.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm pretty sure that's why everyone liked it. It's very difficult to include the word penis and not have your post deleted or edited by the community leaders haha.
It is an anatomical term as far as I am concerned and frankly the metaphor was spot on.

BigBadWolf

Forum Probie
Never heard the term whacker but it sounds the same as the term rickey rescue to me. To me its someone who is more interested in saying they are an EMT than performing the duties of an EMT. I have noticed however that at least one station in my area seems to think that taking any pride in your job, or showing any motivation is bad and will try to crush it. I figure those people are just burned out and want others to feel the same.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Highest rate answer? You mean that he got the most "likes"? That's what it means to you, being the "best"? Getting a lot of "likes"?

I think you need to grow and mature in more ways than just as an EMT.

I think you may also want to consider how you come across. There isn't anything wrong with being a young, maybe overeager, new and inexperienced EMT who doesn't know much about what they're getting into. There is something wrong with being a young and immature EMT who seems clueless about what they're getting into yet keeps talking instead of learning.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
That quiz was funny. I got 8% whacker. It told me I needed more whacker in my life. I'm not so sure about that... o_O

I'm 8%, too. Uh oh. I like to wear my boots once in a while outside of work because they are comfortable and I have a T-shirt that I wear to the gym that says:
"You fall, you call, we haul, that's all." :p

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I think I got my 8% for having two "EMS" shirts that aren't uniform... They were 'gifts' from the agency for EMS week for the two EMS weeks that I've been working here for. So they're EMS shirts, they're not uniform shirts, but I didn't buy them.

I also have been known to wear my boots not at work every once in a while.