What defines a 'wacker' vs a 'normal' EMT?

stethoscope

Forum Probie
I've been hearing the term wacker used periodically in EMS. I did my research and found out that the definition is somewhat gray and subjective. What defines a wacker once and for all? What sets apart someone who is a wacker, and someone who likes what they do?

I have 2 smaller star of life stickers on my rear quarter windows (SUV, each on opposite sides, symmetric to the other) I quite like them, but I never thought about being a "wacker". It seems pretty ridiculous to me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The term is different from person to person. Your not going to get one solid answer.

In a smaller town with a volunteer company it may be normal to wear "I'm an EMT bada**" shirt around or a department shirt. However in a bigger town that is viewed as "hey, that guy is a whacker."

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Normal EMT- Takes pride in their job and cares about his patients, carries the equipment necessary to perform his job, and does not feel the need to advertise their profession to people around him

Whacker- Is more concerned with looking like a badass than giving the best care to his patient, carries a lot of equipment that has no practical function, and will display to all the "civillians" that they work in EMS with hats, stickers, t-shirts, jackets etc.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Someone that goes out of their way to tell everyone that they are involved in EMS is how I look at it. That can mean, shirts, stickers, and generally never shutting up about it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I've been hearing the term wacker used periodically in EMS. I did my research and found out that the definition is somewhat gray and subjective. What defines a wacker once and for all? What sets apart someone who is a wacker, and someone who likes what they do?

I have 2 smaller star of life stickers on my rear quarter windows (SUV, each on opposite sides, symmetric to the other) I quite like them, but I never thought about being a "wacker". It seems pretty ridiculous to me.
I'm a bit confused why you've permanently attached pendants to your car if you are still a student, not yet a certified EMT... but as others have said, it's all subjective, based on how and where you provide care, subject to local norms, maturity in approach to profession and approach to patient care.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
I'm a bit confused why you've permanently attached pendants to your car if you are still a student, not yet a certified EMT... but as others have said, it's all subjective, based on how and where you provide care, subject to local norms, maturity in approach to profession and approach to patient care.
Not a student! I never changed my training level, but I received my cert last week. The stickers were birthday gifts.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a student! I never changed my training level, but I received my cert last week. The stickers were birthday gifts.
Uh-huh. And do you work as an EMT? For how long? In what capacity? What is it that makes you feel that you need to advertise...whatever it is that you think the star of life represents?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
EMT: carries gloves and shears at work.

Whacker: carries tactical gloves, raptor shears, a CAT, a 16g (just in case) and a tactical flashlight in his tactical pants.

Off duty.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
Uh-huh. And do you work as an EMT? For how long? In what capacity? What is it that makes you feel that you need to advertise...whatever it is that you think the star of life represents?
I do. I got a job where I was precepting. Obviously I'm new lol. I'm an EMT-B, so that's the capacity?

I am a proud EMT. I got into this after I had a spontaneous tension pneumothorax last summer. Up until then, I had no interest in this. When my doctor explained it to me that I could pretty much die any minute, it hit me like a ton of bricks. The medic that showed up made the experience bearable. She was the one telling me that I was going to be ok, and explaining things reasonably to me. It made me feel better, so much better. After that, I decided that I wanted to be the person who does just that. That can come give somebody some light when theirs have went out. That's what that star means to me. I don't feel the need to advertise it. I typically don't advertise why I got into EMS anyway.

I don't see why it's a shameful thing to have a star of life on your car? That's where I don't get this wacker thing.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead

Whacker. No need or reason to advertise your profession. If you ever go to an EMS convention and think about buying a tshirt that has some slogan or something, like "On Call for Life" or "Bustin mine to Save yours" youre a whacker. If youve ever spend $5 on a pocket knife with a SOL on it, your a whacker

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
Whacker. No need or reason to advertise your profession. If you ever go to an EMS convention and think about buying a tshirt that has some slogan or something, like "On Call for Life" or "Bustin mine to Save yours" youre a whacker. If youve ever spend $5 on a pocket knife with a SOL on it, your a whacker
So, my last job. I have a sticker on my car from there. Am I a wacker in that sense too? I support the business.
And my college, I have a sticker for that too. College wacker?

I think I get it now. There is no difference between being proud of what you do and feeling like a demigod to some people. I guess family stickers means that the driver is a family wacker. Or cancer stickers are for cancer wackers? My question has been answered.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess I am going to be the voice of dissent here. I don't think having 2 small stars of life on the back of your vehicle makes you a whacker. There is nothing wrong with being proud of what you are but think of it as a penis. It's cool to be proud of it but becomes a problem when you wave it in other people's face.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Print and go through the checklist below to determine if you are a whacker.
Code:
Whacker Checklist (all options must be checked):
[ ] 2x EMS stickers, preferably more
[ ] EMS license plate
[ ] 7x EMS related shirt (one for everyday of the week)
[ ] 7x tactical pants (one for everyday of the week)
[ ] 7x pairs of EMS socks
[ ] 1x EMS underwear
[ ] Littmann stethoscope
[ ] Lightbar AND siren on POV
[ ] Scanner / Personal radio
[ ] More pair of boots than clothes
[ ] Career Emergency Responder, First Responder, or EMT. (Automatically disqualified to be a whacker if you become a paramedic)
[ ] EMS swiss army knife (must be able to use as trauma shear and seat belt cutter)
[ ] Radio strap
[ ] Active on emtlife.com and emtcity.com.
[ ] Must follow Paramedic as (censored) on Facebook.
[ ] At least one EMS tattoo

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol a sticker isn't going to make you a wacker. Two stars of life on one window, wacker. I was helping out with our recruits PA course and a guy showed up with a 12'x12' star on his rear wind shield, wacker. People who wear 37 things on their bat belt, wacker. I work in a busy 911 department, I carry shears, gum, radio and an extra set of gloves if I remember. Then you see a private who works in our county who does zero 911 response rocking bat belts that probably weigh 15 pound....wacker, but it puts a smile on my face to see it so keep it coming.

Be proud of what you do, sure. To be blunt, if you have to walk around with idiotic things on your tshirt etc. just know there is someone from EMS or a hospital laughing at you...Usually people with little to no REAL EMS experience fall into the wacker category with their war stories that never happened.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Your reasoning isn't actually that bad. There isn't anything wrong with being proud of what you do, and maybe, MAYBE in advertising it, depending on the circumstances. You at least are actually working as an EMT, which is better than the goober than finishes (or is still in class) and then starts blabbering about what a high-speed lifesaver they are...despite never actually doing a single thing...ever.

One unobtrusive star of life...meh. Whatever. I'd still suggest you wait for awhile and actually get your feet under you for some time, but that's a different topic.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Code:
[ ] EMS license plate
[ ] 1x EMS underwear
[ ] Littmann stethoscope
[ ] Career Emergency Responder, First Responder, or EMT. (Automatically disqualified to be a whacker if you become a paramedic)
[ ] EMS swiss army knife (must be able to use as trauma shear and seat belt cutter)
[ ] Radio strap
I have some of those checked...

And EMS underwear? Do they make a banana hammock with a star of life on the front, because I need a pair.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Lol a sticker isn't going to make you a wacker.
I only have one EMS sticker on my car.

mtCoWdGs5EKQU3V-yAbdPkw.jpg

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Code:
[ ] EMS license plate
[ ] 1x EMS underwear
[ ] Littmann stethoscope
[ ] Radio strap

I got a couple of those checked. For the OP having 2 star of life stickers doesn't make you a wacker, it just makes you look proud/ excited to work in the EMS career field.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
The stickers I have are not on the back. They're on the read quarter windows on opposite sides. I refuse to put lights on my car.