What defines a 'wacker' vs a 'normal' EMT?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There's nothing wrong with being proud of what you do. I am very proud of what I do, but I don't advertise it all opportunities.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
I'm a wacker because 2 is the magic number? Is one sticker on the rear window better than one sticker on either quarter window? Or is it better to have one sticker on the side of the left, or right quarter selectively that would make you less of a wacker? And if I decided to use my rear window, I wouldn't be a wacker? It's not rocket science. You're generalizing, becoming the gray area that I spoke of, and making up your own rules that don't exist -- less stories that never happened.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
@stethoscope We are pulling your leg. Don't take it too seriously.

There are people are obviously whackers and then there are some people who do whacker things, but aren't whackers. Who really cares?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm a wacker because 2 is the magic number?

No, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and its different for everyone. My limit is 2. 1 is a decal for the dept that I worked for last year (really should take it down now that I'm thinking about it) and the other is a personal decal that only first responders (PD, fire, EMS) in the area will understand. The other day I saw a car where the rear window was decked and I mean DECKED out with EMS decals and was accompanied by a license plate frame that read "my other car is a ambulance 911". Now I'm all for having pride in where/ who you work for, but there has to be a line drawn.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
I think I'd rather deal with a 'wacker' who has 40 stickers saying that he works in EMS than to have someone who tries to look like LEO. We have someone who does that. Setina bull bar, light bar and all.

Either way, I'm happy with mine. It's the same sticker, just on either side.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Either way, I'm happy with mine. It's the same sticker, just on either side.
/thread

Cool. If they make you happy, rock on. Enjoy your stickers. In the great scheme of things, who cares if an Internet forum thinks you're slightly further than others towards the "whacker" side of the spectrum?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm a wacker because 2 is the magic number? Is one sticker on the rear window better than one sticker on either quarter window? Or is it better to have one sticker on the side of the left, or right quarter selectively that would make you less of a wacker? And if I decided to use my rear window, I wouldn't be a wacker? It's not rocket science. You're generalizing, becoming the gray area that I spoke of, and making up your own rules that don't exist -- less stories that never happened.
By posting "what is a wacker?" aren't you basically ask us to provide you with a description? Which is often times a generalization. You got those answers, sometimes you may not like them.

OP
OP
stethoscope

stethoscope

Forum Probie
By posting "what is a wacker?" aren't you basically ask us to provide you with a description? Which is often times a generalization. You got those answers, sometimes you may not like them.
I asked what a wacker was and got a ton of symptoms of a wacker -- and practically nobody agreed with anybody else. ERDoc took the cake and gave me the best answer.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I asked what a wacker was and got a ton of symptoms of a wacker -- and practically nobody agreed with anybody else. ERDoc took the cake and gave me the best answer.
Well yes. It's an ambiguous term. Different people define it definitely, nothing new there.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

You do understand that "whacker" is a highly subjective, colloquial term with no formal definition?

The whole thing is a grey area. The whole thing is a generalization. That's the whole point.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Whacker isn't even a universal term. They were called buffs where I came from.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You mean he told you what you wanted to hear? Odd that you would choose a reply that is in line with what you want to do as the "best answer."

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Here in Colorado no one uses the term ever. When I say wacker people look at me like some sort of deviant. Just ricky/randy rescue, that's bout it.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That quiz was funny. I got 8% whacker. It told me I needed more whacker in my life. I'm not so sure about that... o_O

Same here fun quiz haha