the 100% directionless thread

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They do need to at least know whether the patient will be transported by air or ground in order to set up a LZ. A few of the fire departments though are more particular about it being their scene, their fire district, and their decision regarding whether a helicopter needs to land at their accident.
For example, a few months ago I was dispatched to a "High Mechanism MVA" for a car into a house. This coded out as a Delta level trauma, so the state police helicopter auto-launched. We got there at about the same time as the first BLS fire ambulance and engine. The car had literally just bumped into the siding of the trailer home. Zero damage to the car, and minor siding scrapes on the house. After seeing that Grandpa was talking, complaint free, and had just hit the gas rather than the brake, I went to cancel the helicopter. My FTO stopped me before I could and warned me that it would be better to go through the fire officer on scene and offer up that we didn't believe this patient would need to be flown and we would be ok with him releasing the helicopter. It's just a different way of doing things than I'm used to.

Had a call that made me think about this today.

Fire captain came up to me to ask if it was alright with me if he requested aviation on a standby and I had already put them on a go. Was actually on my way to tell him that. All I got was a "sweet cause we're gonna need em. Didn't want to take your candy from you though."

Polar opposite from what everyone on here was talking about.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our major issues with fire arrive due to the fact for my county policy is which ever medic is first on scene is in control of the scene and patient care. Fire is a city based (in some cities have multiple fire stations) and each engine company has at least one medic. For the ambulance, we are SSM with at least one medic.

Since fire is city based they are normally on scene before us which means they get control of the scene and patient care. Some fire medics will get in the mind set that they are always in charge on every call regardless of who is on scene first.

In the high desert, we are on scene first about 85% of the time. Fire loves that. There are a few with egos but that's few and far between.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In the high desert, we are on scene first about 85% of the time. Fire loves that. There are a few with egos but that's few and far between.

We have a small number of those fire medics. The majority are really cool. For us arriving on scene first there are some days where we are always on scene prior and other days where we are second.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Speaking of fire. The fireman that coded cause of respiratory failure a couple weeks ago, is back at work. They are thinking allergic reaction but the docs dont seem positive. Either way, counts as a save by our standards. Cant think of a better way to get my first save.

Epi-do

I see dead people
It doesn't matter when I get on scene, and no one ever wants to fight over who is in control at my full-time job. Since I am the only medic on scene, it always defaults to me.

And in other news in the rural medic gig, after 8 months being there, I was finally able to convince the medical director that we shouldn't be boarding and collaring every single person we come across. It may take another 8 months to get the protocol written and implemented, but considering he was so firmly set against it that it wasn't even open for discussion when I first got here, I am counting it as a small step in the right direction. Now to work on getting him to concede to 12-leads in the field, and then being able to work an arrest on scene and call it, rather than transporting every corpse we come across. Baby steps though, right? As long as I am patient and am prepared to back up my requests with valid science, and give him the time to look it over, there may be hope for this little corner of the world yet.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Y'all don't have 12-leads?... :unsure:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It doesn't matter when I get on scene, and no one ever wants to fight over who is in control at my full-time job. Since I am the only medic on scene, it always defaults to me.

And in other news in the rural medic gig, after 8 months being there, I was finally able to convince the medical director that we shouldn't be boarding and collaring every single person we come across. It may take another 8 months to get the protocol written and implemented, but considering he was so firmly set against it that it wasn't even open for discussion when I first got here, I am counting it as a small step in the right direction. Now to work on getting him to concede to 12-leads in the field, and then being able to work an arrest on scene and call it, rather than transporting every corpse we come across. Baby steps though, right? As long as I am patient and am prepared to back up my requests with valid science, and give him the time to look it over, there may be hope for this little corner of the world yet.

It took me years to learn patience when it came to changing rules/sops. Getting new ones approved was much easier than changing something that already existed. Yes, what you have is a win. Document it and move forward. Keep him informed and part of the process. Write something down, show it to him, ask for feedback, and tell him that you'll 'get back with him when the next part is completed'.

Once you get a good rapport established you will see that future battles won't be so hard. You'll also learn what he expects (stats, past cases, etc) which will lead to faster and positive results.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Y'all don't have 12-leads?... :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing...and the rural EMS not working codes on scene...how long do you have to pump on a dead body until you get to the hospital??

Good for you though!! Moving in the right direction for sure!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Hey that works pretty good. About right when I start my CCEMTP class.

Canz Iz be yourz CCT RN? :wub: My License works in Nevada.

It is just a matter of time before I get fired for cussing out a MD...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Canz Iz be yourz CCT RN? :wub: My License works in Nevada.

It is just a matter of time before I get fired for cussing out a MD...

I'm down. We'll dial it in on the ground then swap into the helo in a few years. ;)

Random question but have you taken TNATC? Been looking into taking it and was wondering what people thought of it.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I'm down. We'll dial it in on the ground then swap into the helo in a few years. ;)

Random question but have you taken TNATC? Been looking into taking it and was wondering what people thought of it.

Not yet but i will eventually. I want to take TNCC first.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So is anyone else watching Skywire right now?

RustyShackleford

Forum Crew Member
All of the fire/ems dramatics in this thread lately make me even more appreciative that firefighters just fight fires and do CPR here.

kirky kirk

RN, EMT-B
No, reruns. :blush: I'm kinda excited for season 2 though. :p

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
No, reruns. :blush: I'm kinda excited for season 2 though. :p

Yeah, 2 more days! I'm excited about it too! It seems to be a fairly good replacement for Rescue me, I would like a new ER series though.