the 100% directionless thread

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
220/130 is only borderline hypertension here :lol:

We work off a diastolic >120 or a MAP >130 for hypertensive crises, so that pressure would definitely have made a strong case for Labetolol here with his symptoms.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
We work off a diastolic >120 or a MAP >130 for hypertensive crises, so that pressure would definitely have made a strong case for Labetolol here with his symptoms.

Lol I was being facetious. It seems as if the majority of our patients down here walk around daily with a BP of 180/110. That said, we no longer treat hypertensive crises here.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing like having the fire chief pull you into his office and try and intimidate you...and then going out on a call and screwing up on the radio.

I'm not used to not being allowed to call for resources on the radio, every request has to go through the officer. Cause that's how collaboration works I guess. In sure this will go we'll. and I just got mandatorily for an extra 12. So that I can work 100 hours this week.

Not sure if that would even help in that kind of situation. It's kind of similar here. Most fire chiefs or officers on scene will defer to the county paramedic's advice on whether to cancel aviation or bring them in, but God help you if you cancel them yourself rather than going through command.

This would annoy the crap out of me.

here if we need something we ask for it. Need Air Life we call them ourselves, the FD will get told that we asked but it doesnt have to go thru them.

We're the medical/transport provider and are expected to be responsible for the medical aspects of calls even if the FD has their own paramedics on scene.

The last time an FD officer tried to over rule one of our crews canceling Air Life he was nearly detained by the sheriff's department for interfering with EMS.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lol I was being facetious. It seems as if the majority of our patients down here walk around daily with a BP of 180/110. That said, we no longer treat hypertensive crises here.

Facetious and crises? That's two ten dollar words in one post!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
We have only nitroglycerin here for HTN, but we can call for orders for morphine. We do also carry diltiazem though...something like Robb had would have me asking to drop 20mg.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Always love bumping heads with fire. We are on scene first so all patient care is decided by our medic. He wants to assess the OD patient in the bathtub, cool. Don't push us out of the way and literally drag the 230lb patient out of the bathtub and 10 feet to the floor by one of his arms almost dislocating it. No our patient isn't going to walk down the stairs, has a GCS of 7 and is A&Ox0. Then when we are giving a report to the doctor don't tell her that the patient was standing up when we got on scene.

Then to add on to that, call the medic outside and talk to him saying "well I've been doing this a long time and I know your boss".

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
And people are throwing full 24 oz glass beer bottles at us now...classy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371877124.534391.jpg

RocketMedic

Always love bumping heads with fire. We are on scene first so all patient care is decided by our medic. He wants to assess the OD patient in the bathtub, cool. Don't push us out of the way and literally drag the 230lb patient out of the bathtub and 10 feet to the floor by one of his arms almost dislocating it. No our patient isn't going to walk down the stairs, has a GCS of 7 and is A&Ox0. Then when we are giving a report to the doctor don't tell her that the patient was standing up when we got on scene.

Then to add on to that, call the medic outside and talk to him saying "well I've been doing this a long time and I know your boss".

Report their incompetent asses to your EMSA and their officers and your sups. Injuries that occur by them are blamed on AMR, so its in AMRs interest to ensure Fire doesnt overretard.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Report their incompetent asses to your EMSA and their officers and your sups. Injuries that occur by them are blamed on AMR, so its in AMRs interest to ensure Fire doesnt overretard.

Sadly can't do anything. Fire pretty much decides if we stay in the county or not. Piss off the right people in fire by filing complaints and I can say goodby to a job when we get booted from the county.

I'm not going to report it to the fire officers because I don't want to get "black listed" from ever joining a fire department.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Law enforcement time. I dont tolerate that at all.

Just pulled an almost no-hitter in Northwest OKC.

No one saw it unfortunately :-/

We were both out of the unit inside a gas station and they conveniently had no parking lot security cameras.

RocketMedic

Sadly can't do anything. Fire pretty much decides if we stay in the county or not. Piss off the right people in fire by filing complaints and I can say goodby to a job when we get booted from the county.

I'm not going to report it to the fire officers because I don't want to get "black listed" from ever joining a fire department.

This is why I don't see myself working with a lot of fire departments in my future. Too much "protect the good ole' boys".

San bernardino County will take you with open arms.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
San bernardino County will take you with open arms.

Once I get my medic and fire academy done ill probably be applying to every fire department from San B to Palm Springs.