the 100% directionless thread

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Been a while since I had a "run an hour" day
Did 13 and somehow got off on time. Down 4 reports. Happy weekend!

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Report their incompetent asses to your EMSA and their officers and your sups. Injuries that occur by them are blamed on AMR, so its in AMRs interest to ensure Fire doesnt overretard.

Not gonna happen down here. We just nod our head and move on and add in the narrative that fire requested the movement and led it.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya you say something like I did to a fire Capt. You will get jumped on by all the fire fairies backing their Capt. Even if he is wrong.

Quote " when I tell you to do something you do it"

"You work for us, we are the city of ****** and we contract with amr"

"When Capt. Tell you to do something, you do it, you don't think or ask questions"

Keep in mind we are ALS aswell. And per scene control policy, the first medic onscene is in control and we were.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm glad we don't have to deal with that crap. Every now and again we do but not like that.

I'm thinking I might be on the other side of it though in the next few months...we will see.

"You wanna bust your *** doing this the most difficult, inefficient way possible? Awesome! Ill stand over there with my hands in my turnout pants :p "

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
220/130 is only borderline hypertension here :lol:

220/120 is generally considered the start of end organ damage. 260+ is getting into stroke pressures.

Random Rant: Do NOT treat hypertension in acute stroke unless it is over 220/120. Hypertension is good, to an extent, it keeps the brain perfused. It is the bodies compensatory mechanism. Hypotension in stroke patients significantly increases mortality.

I had an IFT Medic give my acute stroke patient SL Nitro x3 and an inch of nitro paste during transport because his pressure was 190s/80s. Came rolling in 130/70ish. I was not happy.

I also asked him if the patient was Aphasic and his response was "Nope, he just has some trouble finding the right words. He keeps saying non-sense." <_< At that point I had to walk away

Last edited by a moderator:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a guy code on us the other night. We were pretty sure he was having an MI but he coded before we could do a twelve lead. County fire showed up with seven guys and seven apparatus. They were busy trying to decide what to do since we requested two riders, despite my partner and I saying (multiple times) that He is going to code.

They later went to the Cheif saying we killed the guy and we played around on scene to long.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
220/120 is generally considered the start of end organ damage. 260+ is getting into stroke pressures.

Random Rant: Do NOT treat hypertension in acute stroke unless it is over 220/120. Hypertension is good, to an extent, it keeps the brain perfused. It is the bodies compensatory mechanism. Hypotension in stroke patients significantly increases mortality.

I had an IFT Medic give my acute stroke patient SL Nitro x3 and an inch of nitro paste during transport because his pressure was 190s/80s. Came rolling in 130/70ish. I was not happy.

I also asked him if the patient was Aphasic and his response was "Nope, he just has some trouble finding the right words. He keeps saying non-sense." <_< At that point I had to walk away

Dude! Why do you have to go and tell everyone I told you I was having a bad day!

Had a guy code on us the other night. We were pretty sure he was having an MI but he coded before we could do a twelve lead. County fire showed up with seven guys and seven apparatus. They were busy trying to decide what to do since we requested two riders, despite my partner and I saying (multiple times) that He is going to code.

They later went to the Cheif saying we killed the guy and we played around on scene to long.

I would not have been happy with them and probably dismissed all but one of them when I realized there was seven apparati (don't think that's the correct word haha but I'm leaving it) on scene.

4 people is perfect for an arrest. Can do it with 2-3 with the vent if we needed to.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Thats the problem. I was more than happy to dismiss 5, but they didn't want to leave vehicles behind. Not my problem they can't carpool. And certainly don't go back to station telling people we killed the guy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There is a 21 year old girl in our station right now. She says she wants to be a volunteer firefighter. Ok that's cool, our career FFs ask if she has any questions. She say oh not really, and then she procedes to go through each compartment on the engine. And then the ambulance. And then the captain's truck. All while quizzing her 17 year old step daughter. And two other indeterminate people. I am confused. So are the firefighters. No one knows what to do.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There is a 21 year old girl in our station right now. She says she wants to be a volunteer firefighter. Ok that's cool, our career FFs ask if she has any questions. She say oh not really, and then she procedes to go through each compartment on the engine. And then the ambulance. And then the captain's truck. All while quizzing her 17 year old step daughter. And two other indeterminate people. I am confused. So are the firefighters. No one knows what to do.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Tiz6INF7I[/YOUTUBE]

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Welp. That was a rough hockey game. On the bright side, just got an offer from a local private!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Welp. That was a rough hockey game. On the bright side, just got an offer from a local private!
Wow, you mean the "fights on ice" were especially brutal tonight? :rofl: And hopefully the offer actually leads to a decently-paying job. :cool:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Ya you say something like I did to a fire Capt. You will get jumped on by all the fire fairies backing their Capt. Even if he is wrong.

"When Capt. Tell you to do something, you do it, you don't think or ask questions"

Keep in mind we are ALS aswell. And per scene control policy, the first medic onscene is in control and we were.

Media time, lol.

The one OCFD medic (transplant from Cali) that tried that on me was told to go sit in his red tonka truck (my exact words) after he demanded that he be given my D50 to run through his infiltrating 16G IV. He thought he was in charge and disagreed with glucagon.

EMSA runs medical here, and I love it, fire's generally ok with it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas

"That's nice, but this is our patient. Your bosses contract with us because you cannot handle or be trusted with medical transport or care. I am objecting because your treatment plan or actions suck. Unless you are transporting or assuming all liability, shut up and do what I say."
"Is it on fire? Did we enlist? if not, see above."

Go east, brother. EMSA or MedStar ftw.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Go east, brother. EMSA or MedStar ftw.

I've considered it strongly.

Y'all don't have snow or mountains though. Well not like we do here!

I don't think I could work in a system that I wasn't the medical authority or had to fight over it. I'd go bananas and get myself fired. Sometimes I speak before I think.

In other news...jammin' to Anberlin all day long.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Another good choice.

Dude I told you we'd be a solid crew together. Great taste in music and hobbies. Now you just gotta get your I and move...or your medic and we can roll double P.

Pretty sure our dispatcher hates us though. "Medic XXX you've got a lot of background."

"Roger! Great song eh?" ;)

Whatever though...if I can hear the dispatches and never miss them hailing us it obviously isn't all that loud.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Dude I told you we'd be a solid crew together. Great taste in music and hobbies. Now you just gotta get your I and move...or your medic and we can roll double P.

Pretty sure our dispatcher hates us though. "Medic XXX you've got a lot of background."

"Roger! Great song eh?" ;)

Haha. I'm shooting for Janurary 2014 to start medic school.

We would be an awesome crew tho.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Haha. I'm shooting for Janurary 2014 to start medic school.

We would be an awesome crew tho.

Hey that works pretty good. About right when I start my CCEMTP class.