the 100% directionless thread

medic417

The Truth Provider
My grandmother is in the hospital... they're saying she won't last past this evening. And hteres nothing I can do :( I don't think I've felt this helpless. And I'm under orders from the parental units to not try and make it down there (8 hours south). :(

Sorry to hear it partner. Hang in there.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm sorry sweetheart. The great thing about being an adult is your parents can't ground you if you don't listen.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm sorry sweetheart. The great thing about being an adult is your parents can't ground you if you don't listen.

That they can't, but since they have the spare cash that would pay for gas to get down there I have to listen... This whole being out of work thing has drained what cash I had left.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That they can't, but since they have the spare cash that would pay for gas to get down there I have to listen... This whole being out of work thing has drained what cash I had left.

Darn, it sucks to be dependent on Bank of Mom and Dad :( Sorry about your grandma. my sincerest condolences.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
My grandmother is in the hospital... they're saying she won't last past this evening. And hteres nothing I can do :( I don't think I've felt this helpless. And I'm under orders from the parental units to not try and make it down there (8 hours south). :(

Thats tough parnter. Too bad about your parents decision. You and your grandma are in our thoughts and prayers.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Went to the hospital on another call and was able to check up on my OD that crashed--- survived the first night and is now in the ICU, very unstable, prognosis bad, and if he does survive, brain damage is likely due to the temp.

I keep wondering if I did enough... and the answer I keep coming up with is probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Went to the hospital on another call and was able to check up on my OD that crashed--- survived the first night and is now in the ICU, very unstable, prognosis bad, and if he does survive, brain damage is likely due to the temp.

I keep wondering if I did enough... and the answer I keep coming up with is probably not.

You did what you thought to do at the time. Learn from it. But don't let it eat you inside.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Naw, it's not eating at me, just debating if I should have pushed Adenosine / Cardioverted his SVT, among other things.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
JT, sorry. They're trying to spare you. Linus, maybe...

...but in OD's, who knows what's on board? Or what their baseline was? If you did the best you could, and you didn't do anything vindictive or unnecessarily cruel, you still get a gold star.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

You are the only person I know who puts messages in the title portion :p ANd I know they're trying to spare me from all of this, but with the way I am I feel guilty about not being there, and even though it's stupid.... I feel like if I were there I would find something the staff missed, something to help. I hate feeling useless and helpless.

I'm lucky I've got a lot of friends online and one very special friend back in NM that has been texting me all day trying to get me to keep my head.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
yeah I tick peo-

-ple off when I do that don't I?

I went through it with my dad, I did help a little, but in the end it works out pretty much the same. Do what you need to, feel what you're going to.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I, like many others, get annoyed at the amount of people from california asking questions about the DMV Ambuance Drivers Lisence required for EMTs and Medics to drive. It is still annoying... but I will cut them some slack because I recieved a reminder this week as to how STUPID the process is.

I let my ADL expire 6 months ago because it was on the bottom of "to do list" because I haven't driven ambulance in a number of years. That may change soon, so I spent portions of the last 3 days getting that squared away. Between the time, money, paperwork, and (worst of all) dealing with the DMV all I can say is that I am THRILLED that my ADL will not expire until January 2015! The test is stupid and easy... it is the rest of the process that makes people go crazy... thankfully I was already there... :wacko:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well, I thought the interview went well, but I guess it didn't. I got an email telling me I didin't get the position :( Now I gotta figure out what to do. This week can get worse, but I'm hoping it doesn't

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I thought the interview went well, but I guess it didn't. I got an email telling me I didin't get the position :( Now I gotta figure out what to do. This week can get worse, but I'm hoping it doesn't

You can take the ICU job.

Think I'm gonna take a dispatch one.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You can take the ICU job.

Think I'm gonna take a dispatch one.

I already got emails saying no thanks to every hospital position I've applied for in the Denver metro. Just waiting to hear back from a hospital in Boulder and Durango along with back home in NM (my old hospital), EMS jobs in SC, TX, and LA, and the contract in Afghanistan

DaniGrrl

Forum Lieutenant
Have you tried looking for civilian DOD jobs? I saw a listing for an EMT-I to work with The Army in Fayetteville.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Have you tried looking for civilian DOD jobs? I saw a listing for an EMT-I to work with The Army in Fayetteville.

I applied for DOD in GA, AK, TN, and NV. What state is Fayetteville in again?