the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Doing ALS standby at a rave tomorrow...probably should brush up on my od protocols...

emt_irl

Forum Captain
Doing ALS standby at a rave tomorrow...probably should brush up on my od protocols...

haha have fun try not to wear any bright colours even though high viz jackets are hard to avoid, they turn like bee's around honey to them!

on another note was in universial studios today in orlando. a 9 hour wait to get into harry potter world hahaha what nut job would wait that long, thank god i went into it last week before the grand opening

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
So someone kicked in part of our door last night. For once I am grateful for our insomnia. We heard it happen as we were coming up the stairs from the basement and the dogs started barking and the boy took off to get the gun, so I think that whoever did it heard us and split.

Looks like we'll be spending some time at the range soon and my next paycheck is going to beefing up our security 'round here.

8jimi8

CFRN
national manufacturer shortage of naloxone. According to an intra-network email i received today.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Had a patient last night... A-fib with new onset RVR feeling palpitations.

Try as I might, I couldn't convince him to go to the ER to get checked out. He said "I'll call my sister to take me" and I gave him a copy of the 12-lead to show the doc, but I highly doubt he's going, and probably threw the strip out first chance he got.

mct601

RN/NRP
Did my first oil stand by yesterday. If any of you work or can work for AMR and are interested in it, I suggest talking to your local office and seeing if they can get you down here. They flew in guys from CA, Ark, and all over the place to fill spots they need. This includes basics and paramedics. They are working the out of state guys 15 days, one day off, 15 days, one day off, and another 15. 12 hour shifts, typically. Thats what I heard typically, and it was from a pretty reliable source.

So I FINALLY got cleared to work oil standby on Thursday. I attended a BP safety meeting and got a BP ID and some yellow card. That night I get a call at 8:30 requesting me to be in the office clocking in just before 3am (office is an hour away) to drive to Mobile, AL (hour from office) to work. At that night time, I was an hour from my house in Hattiesburg, MS. I took the job and went home. Rolled and flipped in my bed, and finally got to sleep around 11something. Got to the office, clocked in got directions to AMR-Mobile, and drove over there. When I got there I got handed keys to an ambulance and paired with a medic and told to go to Gulf Shores/Fort Morgan (ANOTHER hour). All in all, it was a very slow and easy day. Sat in the truck on the clean up site all day. The drive home was VERY long (hour and a half from Gulf Shores to Mobile, hour from Mobile to Gulfport, hour from Gulfport to my home). But I sure did get some hours :D

mct601

RN/NRP
Odd term... does such a thing exist? Have fun with this gig, but be careful; we all know how "safe" BP is... :rolleyes:

Oh, the irony, right? I wanted to stand up and say "I won't get dehydrated if you don't blow up another rig!"

but actually, don't let the media smear them. This whole assault on energy companies (BP in particular) has been utterly ridiculous. Having family in the oil industry my entire life (dad in particular) I can say those companies operate with high safety measures. Stuff happens, and honestly this was a worst case scenario on a deep water rig. They were probably operating outside of the lines, but its not just that which caused this mess. I'm also not defending them, as this situation is destroying my region, but just stating the media is trying to control things as always.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
kinda sad day. Just found out that a friend broke her back while decending from a rock climbing wall the other day. Thankfully she did not lose sensation but is in a world of pain. She is a medic and will not be able to go back to work for a long time, if ever.
Asking if ya'll could keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

8jimi8

CFRN
kinda sad day. Just found out that a friend broke her back while decending from a rock climbing wall the other day. Thankfully she did not lose sensation but is in a world of pain. She is a medic and will not be able to go back to work for a long time, if ever.

oh man that is terrible.

belayer drop her?

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
my partner that is on tonight with me is looking for lights to put on his car (Reds). He is on youtube searching to see what lights look "COOL" and than going on google to find where he can buy them!

O and he is only a first responder, so he is my driver.

Best of all the website he is on is called whacker lol

mct601

RN/NRP
my partner that is on tonight with me is looking for lights to put on his car (Reds). He is on youtube searching to see what lights look "COOL" and than going on google to find where he can buy them!

Best of all the website he is on is called whacker lol

Oh goodness.

The only thing I could see using lights for, are the suction-cup kind during calls where my POV will be on side of a road (its all rural out here, strobes will catch the attention of a speeding country road driver pver hazards). otherwise its pointless. but its obvious of the application he wants them for... he wants what looks COOL :rolleyes:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Did my first oil stand by yesterday... But I sure did get some hours :D

Could you please start a new thread with this in NEWS or another section? It's really worth hearing about and I'd like to learn more from you without it getting buried in Mr. Directionless!..

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Why do all my unconscious / unresponsive / lethargic patients wake up fully the moment we pull in to the ambulance bay, and make me look like a liar?

Funny, my patients do the same thing when the paramedics arrive. Or while I'm giving report to the triage nurse. Oh, well.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
foxfire said:

Ugh. Spinal injuries are awful.

Better wear your seatbelt.

mct601 said:
I'm also not defending them, as this situation is destroying my region, but just stating the media is trying to control things as always.

I feel really bad for the poor folks working the relief drills.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes i always where my seat belt!!! i even think about putting it on when i am in the back trying to do pt care..

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, the irony, right? I wanted to stand up and say "I won't get dehydrated if you don't blow up another rig!"

but actually, don't let the media smear them. This whole assault on energy companies (BP in particular) has been utterly ridiculous. Having family in the oil industry my entire life (dad in particular) I can say those companies operate with high safety measures. Stuff happens, and honestly this was a worst case scenario on a deep water rig. They were probably operating outside of the lines, but its not just that which caused this mess. I'm also not defending them, as this situation is destroying my region, but just stating the media is trying to control things as always.

Accidents do happen. But even when you screw up and call it an accident you still have the resposibility to stand up like a man and say "I screwed up and I will make it right" and then follow through. That fact is multiplied when it comes to a multi-billion dollar company whose actions have HUGE ramifications. I can live with the fact that they screwed up... what now? Their response has been lacking. The infrastucter to respond to disasters is non-existant. They have no clue what they are doing and they have lied to down play it all. Christ, it took them almost 2 months to even apologize. The fact that we are trying to hold them resposible and that the response is so piss poor is stupid... they should be holding themselves responsible and have the plans in place to mount some sort of disaster response in a more efficent and comprehenisve manner.

But, yes, the Media has it's own agenda... I just hope the response to this will be fast and effective in trying to relieve the stress that this section of the US has been seeing so much of in the last few years.

Last edited by a moderator: