Medic Students!!!

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Got out of the first one not too long ago.

270 questions. Finished in a little over 45 minutes.

There were a few questions toward the end that I'm not sure we covered regarding mixing NTG. We've gone over drip rates, dosages, and the like, but actually mixing I'm a little fuzzy on.

Of course at that point, my mind was probably fried.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Anybody have any major tests yet?

Got my first one this Thursday, mainly A&P and Pathophysiology. There's a few other chapters involving the origins of EMS, injury prevention, and legal matters.

Can't wait!

We have had our module test over the first 10 chapters (including all the boring ethical type stuff), Pharmacology and Pathophysiology.

Our 2nd Module test was over airway which is completed

We are no on a long haul in Cardiology which we will finish at the end of this month followed by our ACLS endorsement courses then our 3rd module test and if we pass our ACLS and are cleared we can begin our clinical internship.

Paramaybe

Forum Probie
I can finally say as of November 1st I will be a part of this group.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Congrats!

Btw, started dopamine clocks today :p

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
We just got going here, acid base is eating my brain away. I'm trying to actually understand it, not just memorize it. but I keep fing up with the CO2 rates. I keep reading them as resp. Rates, who does that?! I know they arent resp rates but every time I see a co of 50 I'm like ok hyperventilation, instead of bradypena. I have no idea why lol.

School is so different then I thought it would be. Not as much comradery as I thought.

I would love to keep up with those of us going though this for the next test or so, anyone against starting anewer thread for medics 2010-2011?

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
We just got going here, acid base is eating my brain away. I'm trying to actually understand it, not just memorize it. but I keep fing up with the CO2 rates. I keep reading them as resp. Rates, who does that?! I know they arent resp rates but every time I see a co of 50 I'm like ok hyperventilation, instead of bradypena. I have no idea why lol.

If it's 50 you would have an increased CO2 level and need to blow more off to bring the number down thus pick up the resp rate not decrease it.

medic417

The Truth Provider

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

goodgrief

Forum Lieutenant
I know that, I just kept saying in my head, pH is 7.2, Resp. Rate is 50, HCO3- is 20, all day yesterday. So im going ok well Resp rate is 50 theya re breathing to fast, instead of saying CO2 rate is 50 they arent breathing fast enough.....

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Er....blood pH is 7.35-7.45.

What do you mean with the bicarbonate? The ratio?

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Went over pharmacology for the first time tonight.

"Here are all your drugs. You have a test over them next week."

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Which drugs do you test on next week CAO?

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Haha, apparently all of them. Somewhere around 60 I believe; never bothered counting. I'll be filling out the flashcards that came with our workbook tomorrow when I have time off.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Serioulsy?

Haha, apparently all of them. Somewhere around 60 I believe; never bothered counting. I'll be filling out the flashcards that came with our workbook tomorrow when I have time off.

I'm not sure how memorizing 60 drugs in a week is going to work out. I mean right now we are memorizing 2 drugs each week and being tested on them. It includes the doses, indications, contra, side effects, how it's supplied etc the whole works and that seems to be enough for us even if you had to memorize ONLY the doses 1 week for 60 drugs ...yikes.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Well, the test covers much more than the drugs. Every test is cumulative, and this is being added onto it since our first exam. There's also another couple hundred pages of text to mix it up a bit. The way he said it came across as a scare tactic to me for some of my...er...less studious classmates.

This exam will probably cover more of the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic side of the drugs. I'm thinking we will go more in depth when we get to the chapters that cover the related systems.

Of course that doesn't mean I'm not going to give it a go. It'll help in the long run.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Wow, 60 drugs in a week, scary. They gave us our ACLS drugs a couple weeks ago so we can learn them by the time ACLS comes around, then they'll give us the rest...I feel lucky now :p

wiggy762

Forum Probie
Hello...

First post and all....

Returning Medic student here....finally back after big knee injury, having a family, and getting my step son through medical school and my wife through nursing school. It is my turn.

Been in school for 9 weeks now with another 45+ weeks to go. I am loving it! To be fair, I have a serious head start since I was a practicing Paramedic for 9 years. Still, it is great to be back in the game.

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
First post and all....

Returning Medic student here....finally back after big knee injury, having a family, and getting my step son through medical school and my wife through nursing school. It is my turn.

Been in school for 9 weeks now with another 45+ weeks to go. I am loving it! To be fair, I have a serious head start since I was a practicing Paramedic for 9 years. Still, it is great to be back in the game.

I could see letting your basic lapse long enough to have to re-take the class but paramedic?! I made that mistake with my Basic sure as sh** won't let it happen with my medic if and when I'm certified.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a test on a couple of drug classes every week. It would be benzo's one week, non-depolarizing and depolarizing muscular blocking agents, calcium channel blockers, sodium channel blockers, potassium channel blockers etc.

The final was all a blank page with 50 spaces separated by three columns. You had to know dose-adult and ped, indication, one contraindication.

No words, no nothing. Just a bunch of blank spaces and a place to put your name.