Medic Students!!!

Sieldan

Forum Crew Member
Im DONE! Picked up my state license this past Tuesday. Today is my first ride a Medic In Charge. O.O

Hockey

Quackers
Week 2 of my 16 week didactic portion is over. It feels pretty overwhelming with all the things being thrown at us at once. Heavy into A&P, Pharmacology, Policy, and Skills all at once. Not enough time in the day to get everything done I need to do!

Just wondering, do you guys go 5 times a week

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't even consider a 16 week course but then again no medical director in our area would even consider signing off on the course, or the resulting 'medics' to practice in that case either. I will only be one month in when I take my first exam and still have about 23 MONTHS of full time course work to go.

16 weeks may work in a 'Mother May I' system but here in Indiana our scope is only limited to what our medical director says that it is. Most of the protocols only include medical control as a last resort not the first step. 16 weeks of 'training' is suicide for the student and homicide for that medics patients. Just my 2 cents.

The medic program I graduated from was 12 months, it required real college A&P I and II and EMT-Basic, ACT score 18+ prior to entry. It was difficult and we were taught more than minimum.

Hockey

Quackers
16 weeks, 5 days a week, 8 hours or so a day just for the classroom portion would be more than most 1-1.5 year 2 day a week classes I believe.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Just wondering, do you guys go 5 times a week

I attend Mt. San Antonio College in Los Angeles County, CA. The school is actually regarded very highly as to the quality of it's graduates. Compared to some of the "medic mills" - this is a very in depth, and complete program.

The total program is not 16 weeks though. That is just the full time didactic. We had a competitive "precourse" than ran for 2 months prior to the class to determine who got in. It was a lot of work and self-study. There is also the clinical/preceptor portion of the class which will run another 4 months.

Total class length not including my 3 months of study prior to entering = 10 months.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
The medic program I graduated from was 12 months, it required real college A&P I and II and EMT-Basic, ACT score 18+ prior to entry. It was difficult and we were taught more than minimum.

A&P I & II check, EMT-B check, 2 semesters college English check, 2 semesters college Psychology check. This years cut GPA for admission 3.85. Did I mention we also have 16 weeks of full time internship once the class work is done.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
16 weeks, 5 days a week, 8 hours or so a day just for the classroom portion would be more than most 1-1.5 year 2 day a week classes I believe.

16 weeks * 5 days a week * 8 hours a day is only 640 hours of in class time.

In my program we will have over 1,500 hours not counting clinicals and internship.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
16 weeks * 5 days a week * 8 hours a day is only 640 hours of in class time.

In my program we will have over 1,500 hours not counting clinicals and internship.

I see where that will be a big plus to your education - but I personally like the fact that I can learn what I need to get through the certification and get to the job - that is where the real training takes place. My course is already over 100 hours longer than the DOT required length. I guess I am at a little of a loss in what will be covered in an extra 900+ hours? I am truly curious though - please reply.

Thanks

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
I see where that will be a big plus to your education - but I personally like the fact that I can learn what I need to get through the certification and get to the job - that is where the real training takes place. My course is already over 100 hours longer than the DOT required length. I guess I am at a little of a loss in what will be covered in an extra 900+ hours? I am truly curious though - please reply.

Thanks

Currently I am studying for a physiology / pathophysiology exam, I will be more than happy to get back with the actual breakdowns as to where all the time goes but it just wont be today unless I brain fry and need a break from studying. Anything less than a 80% on any exam is automatic probation, 2 exams with a score less than 80% is a immediate drop from the program.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Currently I am studying for a physiology / pathophysiology exam, I will be more than happy to get back with the actual breakdowns as to where all the time goes but it just wont be today unless I brain fry and need a break from studying. Anything less than a 80% on any exam is automatic probation, 2 exams with a score less than 80% is a immediate drop from the program.

Same here.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Cawolf,

Here we go:
Classroom Time

~400 Hours Gen Ed Including Math, English, Communications, Psychology (General & Developmental)

~170 Hours Preparatory, BLS Skills Etc.
~130 Hours A & P
~80 Hours Airway and PT Assessment
~70 Hours Pharmacology
~100 Hours Trauma
~350 Hours Pathophysiology, Paramedic Intervention & Treatment
~150 Hours Special Populations, Elderly, Children Etc
~80 Hours Operational Considerations

That is 1,495 hours of classroom time give or take; then we have almost another 700 hours of clinical and internship time.

Just for giggles here is the Indiana state requirements for Paramedic.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
Lol, I haven't kept up with this thread in a while.

I started class in January; Mon/Tues/Thurs & 2 Sats a month. I'm taking my NREMT-P skills exam next month on the 23rd. My class is over the 26th.

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in the A&P class now. Ours is split with a short semester A&P class (drinking from a fire hose) at eight hours per week lecture, then three semesters - including Summer session - of medic-specific classes. Won't be done till next December. :wacko:

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Ooh! Ooh! I wanna join!

Just got through a brief refresher on A&P last week. When I say brief refresher, I mean our textbook listed a bunch of long words for some fifty pages that some of us haven't seen in a while, haha.

Starting pathophysiology today, and we'll be covering that for the next few classes. First test is next Thursday.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
First day of class was yesterday and I couldn't be more excited for the HIPPA and blood borne pathogens stuff tomorrow :p

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Gloves are good, mmmk? :p

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Cawolf,

Here we go:
Classroom Time

~400 Hours Gen Ed Including Math, English, Communications, Psychology (General & Developmental)

~170 Hours Preparatory, BLS Skills Etc.
~130 Hours A & P
~80 Hours Airway and PT Assessment
~70 Hours Pharmacology
~100 Hours Trauma
~350 Hours Pathophysiology, Paramedic Intervention & Treatment
~150 Hours Special Populations, Elderly, Children Etc
~80 Hours Operational Considerations

That is 1,495 hours of classroom time give or take; then we have almost another 700 hours of clinical and internship time.

Just for giggles here is the Indiana state requirements for Paramedic.

Eh ultimately that is really not that different than mine.

The general education portion is not included, but is a prerequisite - or done at the community college the program is based out of.

We had BLS refresher days and recerts that are not included in the paramedic program hours.

The A/P was taught in a part-time course that was 2 days a week for 2 months prior to the course.

It seems ultimately that the program you are in is about 100 hours longer spread out through different topics - not as big a discrepancy as I originally thought.

Thanks.

Oh - and your state regs for hours are just like CA's.

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Anybody have any major tests yet?

Got my first one this Thursday, mainly A&P and Pathophysiology. There's a few other chapters involving the origins of EMS, injury prevention, and legal matters.

Can't wait!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Anybody have any major tests yet?

Got my first one this Thursday, mainly A&P and Pathophysiology. There's a few other chapters involving the origins of EMS, injury prevention, and legal matters.

Can't wait!

Eh, not really, just a quiz over the first few chapters like ethics, injury prevention and things like that, but pathophysiology is this week.