I didn't know uniforms were so expensive!

Anto

Forum Probie
I went today to get fitted for my work uniforms. They fitted me for 2 or 3 ( I can't remember exactly) shirts and pants, boots, belt, and a nametag. My company is paying for it, but when I went to sign the slip it read $1,451, and the cashier said that was a discounted price! I'm guessing the price is due to the full nomex shirts & pants, but holy crap, $1500.

Does anyone have to buy their uniforms?

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
What all do they provide? Seems high for just a few peices. If they provide a weeks worth of uniforms, boots, jackets, etc I guess I can see the total cost.

This is what my service offers, we get a sheet we sign that says if we lose anything this is how much it costs to replace. We get replacements if it's destroyed in the line of duty or once a year we can get certain new things.

T-Shirt for hot summers x3: 25 each 75
Pants x3: 45 each 135
Fleece x3: 45 each 135
Uniform Shirt w Zipper x3: 65 each 195
Pullover: 55 55
Rain jacket: 100 100
Winter Coat 190 190
Total Service Cost: 900ish

Boots I buy myself the last pair I bought a couple years ago was 90$.

The service I worked for first I got 3 long sleeve and 3 short sleeve shirts. Once a year I got a pants voucher for 1 pair. I personally bought 3 pairs from aspen mills.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Has to be the Nomex. I know my uniform pants are 30-60 each, depending on what brand and type I get. Shirts at my old service were 15 a piece (polo's) and the service I'm trying to get on with has white button downs that are $25 a piece. My belt was $20, my boot almost $100 (converse duty boots).

Now that I'm working hospital though... I love uniforms. Even the scrubs with all the pockets like I like are cheaper for a set than for just my EMS uniform pants

Cory

Forum Captain
Wow, I mean WOW! All the FD's I've seen around here wear ntohing more than a navy blue shirt with blue cargo pants, even full time paramedics. Just curious, is this a private ambulance company uniform?

OP
OP
A

Anto

Forum Probie
Nope, it's Rural/Metro, I recall her calling off prices as the guy entered it in the computer.
Shirt was 81, pants were 91, boots 100, at those prices I'm guessing it's three pairs of each. Assuming they are 100 a piece, that's 600 for shirts and pants (alterations included), plus 100 for boots.. what's left is a belt, the badge, nametag.. I have no idea how it adds up to $1400. I pick up the rest of my uniform on friday, we'll see what I get.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, I've had a rural/metro uniform before, I was only supplied with shirt and pants and it wasn't the same quality as that :p

Only thing I can think of is they are getting the stuff cheaper then marking it up to 'rural/metro' costs and reading it outloud so you know how much it is if you have to replace something.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
AHHH! R/m just finished hiring again? grrr. I need to put an app in there! Hah!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Has to be the Nomex. I know my uniform pants are 30-60 each, depending on what brand and type I get. Shirts at my old service were 15 a piece (polo's) and the service I'm trying to get on with has white button downs that are $25 a piece. My belt was $20, my boot almost $100 (converse duty boots).

Now that I'm working hospital though... I love uniforms. Even the scrubs with all the pockets like I like are cheaper for a set than for just my EMS uniform pants

Dude you gotta hit walmart. The only thing I will buy in Wal-mart are work pants and boots.. I bought a pair of $30 dollar walmart boots last year and they lasted me up until about a month ago, and that's only because the doggies chewed on them, ****ies for $18. 30 for work pants?? Seriously??

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
The uniforms I had to buy for EMT school practicum cost me a total of $600ish for 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants. Alterations included. I have no idea what are new uniforms are costing. We are now Provincial Employees so everyone is getting new uniforms.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
The uniforms I had to buy for EMT school practicum cost me a total of $600ish for 2 shirts and 2 pairs of pants. Alterations included. I have no idea what are new uniforms are costing. We are now Provincial Employees so everyone is getting new uniforms.

Wow, even though I had to only get uniform shirts, the cost involved there was 40$ for the polo and 8$ for the customization. I only needed to get one but I ended up getting three total.

As far as walmart goes, I'd rather spend 80-100$ on a good pair of boots, everything I buy from walmart shoes wise has always fallen apart by 6 months. My bates I bought in 2006 are still going strong just starting to get pretty scuffed up on the outside and on the toe.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What are you doing that you need nomex uniforms?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Flight teams are the only ones in EMS I've seen in Nomex usually.

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
I have nomex, but it is only for when working on wildfires. Interesting that someone would need it for EMS.

OP
OP
A

Anto

Forum Probie
img8518z.jpg

img8517k.jpg

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hmmmm, machine washing nomex causes it to loose it's flame retardant properties pretty quickly.... just saying

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Is that for R/m or pacific? you can PM me...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Wait til you start cleaning them too.

Oh, Mommeee!.