How to get an EMT Job

Fox

Forum Crew Member
How many days after turning in an application should you wait to call and check? Especially if you know they are hiring and giving interviews?

medic417

The Truth Provider
How many days after turning in an application should you wait to call and check? Especially if you know they are hiring and giving interviews?

That is a loaded question. Some managers think you are bugging them if you call. Others think it shows you truly are ready to come work for them. Some are impressed with a thank you card saying thank you for accepting my application and taking the time to consider me. Really is like the lottery.

Personally I liked when the person showed the initiative to check on application status and I think I would consider calling the person sending a card for an interview.

Fox

Forum Crew Member
That is a loaded question. Some managers think you are bugging them if you call. Others think it shows you truly are ready to come work for them. Some are impressed with a thank you card saying thank you for accepting my application and taking the time to consider me. Really is like the lottery.

Personally I liked when the person showed the initiative to check on application status and I think I would consider calling the person sending a card for an interview.

I sent my resume and a cover letter via email last week (we are directed to do so by the website). Then I went today and turned in a formal application and let the secretary know that I was very much interested and eager to work there still. Without being creepy or anything. She said he was setting up interviews with people who did both.

I also have connections with another service I put applications in with. Friends said they would put in a word for me, so I don't want to call and harass on top of it.

I only turned in the applications today, So I'm not wanting to call immediately tomorrow, but I don't want to wait to long either. I know everyone around here is hiring.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So the public suffers so someone can play with lights and sirens? This is not about us this is about the patients. Have paid staff 24/7 allows for more immediate responses with less risk to the public. Many paid services save money by having many part time people. So all these "volunteers" could still run but instead of hurting wages for everyone they could actually get paid. If they do not want the money they could then donate it to a good charity so it helps more people. This helps EMS and many that may never even call EMS.
actually, if you knew anything about the area, you would know how wrong you were.

most if not all people who are volunteers with the department don't respond from home, they do their shifts at the firehouses.

The department is 100% volunteer, but the county has paid career FF/PMs that assist with staffing (usually on the medic units/ambulances, but on the fire trucks as well).

They train together, eat together, and respond to calls together.

They aren't hurting wages, it has nothing to do with playing with lights and sirens, and it benefits the patient and the public.

but nice try :rolleyes:

medic417

The Truth Provider
They aren't hurting wages, it has nothing to do with playing with lights and sirens, and it benefits the patient and the public.

Yes as the neighboring services ask for a pay raise those in charge just laugh and say why? Maybe we should look for people who will do it for free.

And yes that happens. It has happened in my area more than once. Thankfully almost all the volly services have closed and even the areas with less than 1 call a day have paid Professionals at the ready.

If these volunteers are staying at the station then it would not hurt them to go paid. Again if they do not want the pay then take the check and donate it to a good cause so they help more people than they ever will on an ambulance.

Or if they really want to help the community why not go take care of the sewer plant for free? Oh that's right they would not be looked at like hero's. Sorry my bad for actually suggesting they do something that benefits everyone.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Yes as the neighboring services ask for a pay raise those in charge just laugh and say why? Maybe we should look for people who will do it for free.

And yes that happens. It has happened in my area more than once. Thankfully almost all the volly services have closed and even the areas with less than 1 call a day have paid Professionals at the ready.

If these volunteers are staying at the station then it would not hurt them to go paid. Again if they do not want the pay then take the check and donate it to a good cause so they help more people than they ever will on an ambulance.

Or if they really want to help the community why not go take care of the sewer plant for free? Oh that's right they would not be looked at like hero's. Sorry my bad for actually suggesting they do something that benefits everyone.
I'll keep that in mind next time I see them extricating a MVA, or responding to a HAZMAT- "why are you guys doing this? Not like they need any help there, right?"

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'll keep that in mind next time I see them extricating a MVA, or responding to a HAZMAT- "why are you guys doing this? Not like they need any help there, right?"

Actually you should. It is very selfish on their parts to put their lives at risks with no thought of how the playing hero could leave the family with no income.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Actually you should. It is very selfish on their parts to put their lives at risks with no thought of how the playing hero could leave the family with no income.
They have thought long and hard, believe me. I can not describe the depth of work ethic that some of these people have- especially the live-ins. These are the people who have spent years with this as their world.
You are entirely right, it is not their job.
But they have made it their responsibility, and who are we to criticize them? You, and everyone else, speaks of the prime rule of EMS- Quick, Efficient, Complete, and Knowledgeable patient care. The men and women at RVFD provide that for a large area, and I would quite honestly feel safer with them responding then a private company that I do not know as much about, such as AMR.
I think you would find their website informative.

However, I do not wish to divert the topic, so any more comments on how to make a good first impression before/during/after training would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: