How to get an EMT Job

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Slightly off the current thread of conversation, but-
I will be applying to volunteer with the local fire/ems station come summer. They are having an "open house" on memorial day weekend, with fire safety, CPR instruction, and other basic medical knowledge.
What would be a good way to differentiate myself from the crowd, so I can be noticed a bit more before I actually send in the application? I have been keeping in contact with a volunteer there.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Slightly off the current thread of conversation, but-
I will be applying to volunteer with the local fire/ems station come summer. They are having an "open house" on memorial day weekend, with fire safety, CPR instruction, and other basic medical knowledge.
What would be a good way to differentiate myself from the crowd, so I can be noticed a bit more before I actually send in the application? I have been keeping in contact with a volunteer there.

Can you go before the open house?

a person who wants to volunteer before all the hype seems distinguished to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Introduce yourself to people and ask them questions if you get the chance. If the person you've been in contact with can't arrange a ride-along, maybe you can start talking to someone there about doing so... get the contact information of an officer perhaps.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Can you go before the open house?

a person who wants to volunteer before all the hype seems distinguished to me.
I already have, I have had face to face conversations with a current trainee (although he is primarily interested in a fire role). I have approached them before, and spoken with senior members at a few events before, mentioning that I'm interested in joining in a medical capacity.

The person who I kept in correspondence with via email said that he would enjoy seeing me there, so I am approaching this with the assumption that he is interested in recruiting an eager volunteer, but would like to know more then just text on a screen and print on an application.

I may be a minor, but I would like to approach this with a strong step forward. This is a very well run volunteer department, and has a large base of volunteers to call on (and probably choose from). So, I guess my question would be, what would be a good way to show up on their radar as being professional, and a good "investment" as the case may be?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Dress and act professionally, a "yes, sir. No, sir. Thank you, sir" attitude will take you a long way. Fill out your application, and put it in one of those folders with a transluscent front (maybe a cover sheet with the departments seal on it?) along with your resume and a cover letter expalining what you can bring to the department.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Dress and act professionally, a "yes, sir. No, sir. Thank you, sir" attitude will take you a long way. Fill out your application, and put it in one of those folders with a transluscent front (maybe a cover sheet with the departments seal on it?) along with your resume and a cover letter expalining what you can bring to the department.
In terms of dress, I have both a boy scout short-sleeved shirt and a pair of BDU's (which I feel might be over the top).
The application, among standard information, requests 3 references who have known you for longer then 3 years, and are not family or past/present employer. Would the following three be good references?

A commissioned corps captain

A scoutmaster for my troop

A well known parent of a friend, who worked as an EMT in both urban and wilderness settings, now currently a Respiratory therapist (to the best of my knowledge).

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd definitely wear a nice polo or collared shirt and slacks as opposed to BDUs.... like you're dressing for a job interview. Business wear is desirable for almost every interview regardless of job. RNs don't wear scrubs when they apply for nursing jobs, and I'm sure wearing shorts to a job for the postal service won't get you far.

Your scoutmaster is probably a great reference. About the corps captain - what is their relationship to you? Although it's great to have impressive people as references, if you only kinda sorta know them and they don't know you well or have worked with you in some capacity.... they might not be the best. I know it's hard to list references when you're young, but make sure it's people who can have a good reply if this agency calls them and asks "how do you know so-and-so?"

Of course, I don't know the agency you're trying to get on, but I wouldn't be too worried about getting on. I freaked out about applying for a volunteer SAR team when I was 16/17... and a few years later when I was a Lt., I participated in the selection of new members. Most volunteer-run places can't be too picky, so as long as you meet the minimum requirements, don't have a criminal background or anything, and don't do anything really dumb... you'll probably be fine.

I would recommend focusing on making a great impression while you're there and doing a good job. When it comes to volunteering, you only get out of it what you put in. If you do the bare minimum hours per month and never come to non-mandatory meetings and such, you're not going to be looked upon favorably by the powers-that-be and you're not going to learn much. I'm not saying that you'll be looked upon negatively because believe me, any amount of volunteerism is appreciated and some people can only do so much, but going above and beyond, participating in every way I could, got me promoted to Sgt. and then Lt., which was excellent experience for me, and looks great on job applications. I also have great references now and lots of connections, that I would not have had I just done the minimum.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
I'd definitely wear a nice polo or collared shirt and slacks as opposed to BDUs.... like you're dressing for a job interview. Business wear is desirable for almost every interview regardless of job. RNs don't wear scrubs when they apply for nursing jobs, and I'm sure wearing shorts to a job for the postal service won't get you far.

Your scoutmaster is probably a great reference. About the corps captain - what is their relationship to you? Although it's great to have impressive people as references, if you only kinda sorta know them and they don't know you well or have worked with you in some capacity.... they might not be the best. I know it's hard to list references when you're young, but make sure it's people who can have a good reply if this agency calls them and asks "how do you know so-and-so?"

Of course, I don't know the agency you're trying to get on, but I wouldn't be too worried about getting on. I freaked out about applying for a volunteer SAR team when I was 16/17... and a few years later when I was a Lt., I participated in the selection of new members. Most volunteer-run places can't be too picky, so as long as you meet the minimum requirements, don't have a criminal background or anything, and don't do anything really dumb... you'll probably be fine.

I would recommend focusing on making a great impression while you're there and doing a good job. When it comes to volunteering, you only get out of it what you put in. If you do the bare minimum hours per month and never come to non-mandatory meetings and such, you're not going to be looked upon favorably by the powers-that-be and you're not going to learn much. I'm not saying that you'll be looked upon negatively because believe me, any amount of volunteerism is appreciated and some people can only do so much, but going above and beyond, participating in every way I could, got me promoted to Sgt. and then Lt., which was excellent experience for me, and looks great on job applications. I also have great references now and lots of connections, that I would not have had I just done the minimum.

I have known the captain for many years (primary care doctor) and we have established some very good rapport and trust with each other (he keeps trying to recruit me to the commissioned corps, and has offered internships at NNMC, spoken favorably of me, etc.)
The volunteer department is fairly active, with upwards of 25,000 EMS responses each year in their service area, but only greater then 7,000 calls per year including both the medic and ambulance services at the station I plan to volunteer at. It is mostly suburban areas, but there is a prevalence of MVA's (we are near a major interstate).

loudon

Forum Ride Along
So I finally landed a job here in San Diego (where most places are NOT hiring) and I figured I'd come back to this thread to share my experience and a couple of tips that I think helped me out.

The first thing I did was make a list of every ambulance company in San Diego and go down the list to turn in applications at every single one rather than just calling them (thanks to the advice in this thread). Even though I got the same response at every single place I applied: "No we're not hiring, we're on a hiring freeze right now." I forced myself to keep applying different places. It's a total drag filling out the 100 question tests for places that you know probably won't hire you off the bat, but fill them out anyway. There is always the chance that a place will start hiring soon, and it helps to have your application already in the system.

While I was applying to AMR I overheard a paramedic telling one of their friends who was also applying for a job there that his buddy just got hired at this other company that I had never heard of. I quickly wrote down the name of the company that he mentioned and applied the next day. After I applied I waited a couple of days to see if they would call me, they didn't. Rather than sitting around and waiting for them to call I called them and said "I'm just checking up on the status of my application and I wanted to see if I could set up an interview with you." The hiring guy said yes and I had my interview in a week or so.

The interview went really well and after it was over he told me "I want to hire you, I'm just waiting on a couple of things to open up with the schedule first," so I waited about a week and called up to check on how things were going and there was no change in the situation. This went on for about a month and finally he told me to come in and fill out some paperwork because I was hired! I think that the hiring manager appreciated that I called him rather than him having to call me (since he's a busy guy).

Also, this goes without saying, but during this whole process make sure to dress professional, have a good attitude, and be friendly with the people you're dealing with. Nobody's going to hire you if you don't do these things. If a place says they're not hiring, don't keep bothering them all the time, just ask them when you should call them to see if things have changed. One place I applied let me know that even though they weren't hiring I should call once in a while anyway because they mark on your application every time you call. Let places know you're really interested in working for them.

So thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread, your advice was very helpful to me!

John E

Forum Captain
The volunteer department is fairly active, with upwards of 25,000 EMS responses each year in their service area, but only greater then 7,000 calls per year including both the medic and ambulance services at the station I plan to volunteer at. It is mostly suburban areas, but there is a prevalence of MVA's (we are near a major interstate).

A volunteer dept. that has over 68 calls per day? I find that impossible to believe.

Can you please clarify?

John E

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
A volunteer dept. that has over 68 calls per day? I find that impossible to believe.

Can you please clarify?

John E
There are four stations, and I inflated the unit response statistics from 23,000 in 2006, due to a recent increase in population. The station I plan to work at had approximately 14,000 out of the 32,000 total unit responses,
There were only 24,000 actual incidents, I was listing the unit responses. It would be closer to 9,700 actual incidents, with MVA's being listed under EMS.

medic417

The Truth Provider
There are four stations, and I inflated the unit response statistics from 23,000 in 2006, due to a recent increase in population. The station I plan to work at had approximately 14,000 out of the 32,000 total unit responses,
There were only 24,000 actual incidents, I was listing the unit responses. It would be closer to 9,700 actual incidents, with MVA's being listed under EMS.

There is no excuse for a service that busy to be volunteer. If true that is a large reason for the area there to have such low pay for the paid positions.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
There is no excuse for a service that busy to be volunteer. If true that is a large reason for the area there to have such low pay for the paid positions.
From the webpage, edited for confidentiality
From a modest beginning of fifty-one men and one pumper, ____has grown to four stations, 200 members, and a frontline fleet of 4 Engines, 3 Ladder Trucks, 1 Heavy Rescue Squad, 2 ALS Medic Units, 3 BLS Ambulances, 2 Brush Trucks, 10 support vehicles, a mobile canteen, numerous reserve pieces and a restored "ceremonial" 1963 Mack Custom built B Model pumper that protect a population of over 250,000 in our first due and 1 million people in ______.
They are well supported by the community, and render high quality care.

medic417

The Truth Provider
So it is not completely volunteer. With that many calls it should be completely paid. Places like that are really hurting the pay levels of EMS Professionals.

http://www.rvfd.com/aboutrvfd/aboutrvfd.htm

Organized with 51 men in 1921, the RVFD now has a diverse complement of over 200 volunteers supported by almost 100 Montgomery County career firefighters. Our call volume has increased tremendously over the years, from the 1920’s where the Department responded to about 200 incidents a year to the present, where we responded to over 25,000 incidents in 2003.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
So it is not completely volunteer. With that many calls it should be completely paid. Places like that are really hurting the pay levels of EMS Professionals.

http://www.rvfd.com/aboutrvfd/aboutrvfd.htm

Organized with 51 men in 1921, the RVFD now has a diverse complement of over 200 volunteers supported by almost 100 Montgomery County career firefighters. Our call volume has increased tremendously over the years, from the 1920’s where the Department responded to about 200 incidents a year to the present, where we responded to over 25,000 incidents in 2003.
I realize that EMS is a profession for many, but if the lives are saved, who's to say that it should be turned over?
Many of the volunteers cannot take time out of their lives for more then 1-2 shifts a week, and making it paid would probably force many out.
As you can see though, they are well run.
Since its all out there now, link to their web page:
http://rvfd.org/

medic417

The Truth Provider
I realize that EMS is a profession for many, but if the lives are saved, who's to say that it should be turned over?
Many of the volunteers cannot take time out of their lives for more then 1-2 shifts a week, and making it paid would probably force many out.
As you can see though, they are well run.
Since its all out there now, link to their web page:
http://rvfd.org/

So the public suffers so someone can play with lights and sirens? This is not about us this is about the patients. Have paid staff 24/7 allows for more immediate responses with less risk to the public. Many paid services save money by having many part time people. So all these "volunteers" could still run but instead of hurting wages for everyone they could actually get paid. If they do not want the money they could then donate it to a good charity so it helps more people. This helps EMS and many that may never even call EMS.

terrible one

Always wandering
From the webpage, edited for confidentiality

Why are you editing for confidentiality when it's listed on their website? Anyone can just google the info, really no need to hide it?

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
So the public suffers so someone can play with lights and sirens? This is not about us this is about the patients. Have paid staff 24/7 allows for more immediate responses with less risk to the public. Many paid services save money by having many part time people. So all these "volunteers" could still run but instead of hurting wages for everyone they could actually get paid. If they do not want the money they could then donate it to a good charity so it helps more people. This helps EMS and many that may never even call EMS.
Staff are on call 24/7. These are people who have donated their time and skill to providing care for many people. They have a high standard of care, and are doing a hell of alot more then "Playing with lights and sirens".
The volume of calls is admittedly immense. You can hear a siren in the distance several times a day.
We are currently in a nationwide recession. If every volunteer became a full time professional, they would
A. Most likely burn out quicker due to the increase in shifts needed. (larger time commitment individually)​
B. Require large amounts of money, which could be put to other uses.​
And for what? The level of care remains high, but the people become overworked and stressing over monetary needs.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Staff are on call 24/7. These are people who have donated their time and skill to providing care for many people. They have a high standard of care, and are doing a hell of alot more then "Playing with lights and sirens".
The volume of calls is admittedly immense. You can hear a siren in the distance several times a day.
We are currently in a nationwide recession. If every volunteer became a full time professional, they would
A. Most likely burn out quicker due to the increase in shifts needed. (larger time commitment individually)​
B. Require large amounts of money, which could be put to other uses.​
And for what? The level of care remains high, but the people become overworked and stressing over monetary needs.

I understand your youthful feelings but at this time there is no excuse. But to avoid the lock on this topic I will walk away now. Search my posts and you will find many more discussions about the reason the day of the EMS volly should be a thing of the past.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
I understand your youthful feelings but at this time there is no excuse. But to avoid the lock on this topic I will walk away now. Search my posts and you will find many more discussions about the reason the day of the EMS volly should be a thing of the past.
I respect your opinion, even though I disagree. I simply feel you don't need to be a professional to act like one.