How to get an EMT Job

CARRERA

Forum Probie
i just had an interview yesterday for a company, they made me do a drug test after the interview, they said if i pass ill be good to go to the orientation on Tuesday, i should be hearing back today or tommarow

*fingers Crossed*

Hmm, I had an interview with a company that's starting around that time. ;)
They haven't given me a definite decision yet but they've been keeping contact and emailed me today.

Now I have an interview with another company tomorrow and I will need to except if they offer me a position. The HR person who called to set the appointment said they are making their final decisions tomorrow, I didn't even ask that, she just told me.

I actually really like the company I'm in contact with but in this job market, I can't wait... what do you guys think?

8jimi8

CFRN
take both!

loudon

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but I figured it would be better to post this here than clutter up the boards with another thread.

I live in San Diego and I just got my EMT-B last semester (second highest grade in my class), now I'm looking for work and I've called every place in San Diego that I could find on google maps, but none of them are hiring. I'm thinking about devoting 2 days a week to volunteering at an ambulance company (or maybe a couple of companies) to get some experience and in hopes of getting my foot in the door and landing a job. Is it unreasonable to think that if I devote myself to doing this I'd be able to land a job in a month or so?

This is a great thread, thanks for what you've shared already,
Nate

CARRERA

Forum Probie
Hey, loudon

I understand your concerns. I had the highest grade in class on the final exam (it was actually a tie, another student had the same grade), a B average for the semester, NREMT exam stopped in the 70's. It's a tough job market and there are a lot of new people just like us who are trying to get a job. I've had two interviews but neither company has told me if they plan to hire me, both said they will "keep me posted". Both are good companies and I they seemed to like me but I don't understand what the hold up is.

Your idea of volunteering at an ambulance company is a good idea. I was thinking about asking for an internship but I've never heard of an ambulance company doing that. My professor told me that you must use the skills and knowledge that you've learned or you will forget. I'm currently reviewing all my notes and class handouts as if I have a final again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeM

Forum Ride Along
loudon,

I live in San Diego, got EMT-B certified a month ago and applied to every ambulance company I could find on google maps. Don't just call to see if they are hiring, dress nice, make a resume, head down to all of those places in person and fill out an application. Make a good impression on the secretary and introduce yourself to employees if you see them while you're filling out the app and taking each respective agency's test. I did this at the end of January and have two interviews this week with BLS companies. Be a professional. Good luck.

loudon

Forum Ride Along
That's good advice Mike. I've gone in to a few places like that (dressed up, resume and paperwork in hand), though I haven't physically gone in to every single place on google maps. I think that'll be my next step.

I'm just wondering though, does anyone who works for an ambulance company think that actually volunteering and getting some basic experience at a couple of different places is a good way for me to get my foot in the door in the event that I exhaust all my possible job prospects?

8jimi8

CFRN
That's good advice Mike. I've gone in to a few places like that (dressed up, resume and paperwork in hand), though I haven't physically gone in to every single place on google maps. I think that'll be my next step.

I'm just wondering though, does anyone who works for an ambulance company think that actually volunteering and getting some basic experience at a couple of different places is a good way for me to get my foot in the door in the event that I exhaust all my possible job prospects?

Let me answer your question with another.

Why do you think it wouldn't be good?

I think you already know the answer... and i think you know the side effects of actually practicing your new trade.

The next best thing that you can do is get into medic school. Basics and Intermediates are a dime a dozen. People are looking for Paramedics. I know I know... some places in california (or all maybe...) require a year of basic experience to get into medic school. But if you want it bad enough, you can always relocate to where the jobs are, or where the schools will let you in. There isn't much you can do to distinquish yourself as a basic,

so you are really left with working for free, or moving, right?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know I am in the minority here, but I don't do follow ups. No one has ever told me that they decided to hire me or not hire me because I followed up with a thank you email. It might make your memorable to the interviewer, but if you do good on the interview, and the company wants you, a follow up won't matter.

The BEST thing to do in this field is remember, it is a small world. in certain counties, every boss knows everyone else. medics know every medic. every EMT who has been in this field for more than a year has connections; it might just be a drinking buddy, or a comic geek, or an interagency task force member. especially in an industry where people work more than one job, people do talk. and while they know good people, bad news and rumors spread even faster, and you don't want to get blackballed in this field.

Volunteering can be your foot in the door, or your first connection. I can honestly tell you, that I my interviewer at my current job pretty much told me "well, I can't ask you this question, because you don't really do the job presently." this actually happened to several of his scripted question. I walked out of the interview thinking "there is no way I got the job, he pretty much told me that I was unqualified." honest truth. however, my volunteer chief and him are buddies for the past 15 years. that's the only thing i can think got me the per diem job. 18 months later, I am full time, have a pension, and am really happy with my decision.

But you need to network, and network in a positive way. this doesn't necessarily mean brown nose but ask your EMT instructor of some good places to apply to (they got to know people). if your instructor knows you, and trusts you, he might be able to suggest someone to call. if you do volunteer, get to know people on your agency. interact with other agencies. meet people, be sociable. hell, if you are at the hospital just BSing, say hi to other crews (after they drop off their patient, of course). see how their day is. some won't talk to you. others will. who cares, you are networking.

one last thing. if you want to be a medic, go to medic school. if you don't want to be a medic, don't. too many people go to medic school to get a job, then hate their job.

there are places that hire EMTs for 911 services (New Jersey is one state, New York is a second, I think Pa does too and maybe De). East Coast is def more progressive in this area than the west coast, but again, it depends on what you are looking for.

but you don't forget, if you are papering every EMS agency in the county with your resume, do you think maybe all these hiring agents aren't talking? start networking, get to know people in the business, a positive word from an existing employee to the hiring manager can put you to the front of the stack of apps, vs just being one of 100s of random resumes.

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
While I have been out of EMS for many years now I have been running businesses and was responsible for a great deal of hiring so what I will add is this:

Make sure you have no typos on your resume, cover letters, emails, and follow ups. Have another person proof read for you. You know what you want to say and many times you will read what you decided to say even if that is not what is on the paper. HAVE IT CHECKED. I passed on calling many people for interviews over this type of thing. Not just spelling but grammer and punctuation as well.

Dress for the part when dropping off anything. Look professional everytime and the most important thing is a smile.

Be outgoing. No one wants a shy, scared, quiet EMT on their rig.

If you want to follow up do it after an interview not just after dropping off an application. And an after interview follow up should be brief and done 24 - 36 hours post interview not after that. The idea is to make a final impression but if it is too long after the interview they may not remember you.

If your interviewing with a private company remember they want someone that can do the job by their rules and represent their company in a positive way. ie the company that can not afford the best equipment is looking for someone who can still be positive and look at it in the mindset of even if a, b, c are broken and not working how can I make this still a great place and give great care.

IMHO calling and asking places if they are hiring is a waste of time. You are likely not talking to the person who really knows what is going on or what may be about to happen. Take the time and go down and apply in person. They will accept your application and they may say they are not hiring now and thats fine but leave it anyway. They could have something happen and a spot open the next day and your app is there waiting to be seen. Not to mention if you make a great impression sometime you will get hired and the person who only had a job because they did not want to be short handed will be looking for work. I hired many people when I had no "open jobs" and then trained them and then my weakest link would be gone and if the new person was stronger than another they stayed and someone else left. You just never know so apply, apply, apply.

I believe after applying you should not be calling back to "check" on your application. Make your impression when your there and leave. Do not become a pest or you will never see an interview room.

It looked like several people in the same area are all looking and not working. Maybe while trying to get hired have a "refresh study group". Just run through mock senerois with each other. Run flash cards, whatever helps you stay fresh while your waiting. If there is a vol agency get with it. If you can not get together do a Face book group and run over questions there. Or a SKype group chat. In this age there are tons of ways to practice while your trying to get hired. They will keep your knowledge up.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
When you DO land an interview, do not roll into the parking lot with your subwoofer thumping.

Yes, I did see this today. No, it was not me.

The supervisor came out, asked the guy for his name, and told him to "have a nice life, you won't be working here."

vienessewaltzer

Forum Probie
When you DO land an interview, do not roll into the parking lot with your subwoofer thumping.

Yes, I did see this today. No, it was not me.

The supervisor came out, asked the guy for his name, and told him to "have a nice life, you won't be working here."

That seems a little ridiculous. I blast music all the time, although I make an attempt to turn it down when I pull in the parking lot of a prospective employer. Still, it seems a little pretentious to have done that. Loud music doesn't necessarily correlate to bad employee, but maybe it's a respect issue? I don't know. Still makes no sense to me.

medic417

The Truth Provider
That seems a little ridiculous. I blast music all the time, although I make an attempt to turn it down when I pull in the parking lot of a prospective employer. Still, it seems a little pretentious to have done that. Loud music doesn't necessarily correlate to bad employee, but maybe it's a respect issue? I don't know. Still makes no sense to me.

This is about professionalism. This is why we also suggest all tattoos be covered. That all the extra piercings be removed. How you look and act reflect on the company. Yes you have the right to do what you want if legal and I have the right not to hire you.

vienessewaltzer

Forum Probie
Yeah, but where should professionalism start and end? With most companies it starts and ends at the door of said company (minus drug screens and background checks). I don't see how blasting music accurately reflects a prospective employee's professionalism, experience, or capability to work. Ultimately, I suppose it is the employer's decision, but I don't think such a hasty hiring decision should be based on something as petty as that.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yeah, but where should professionalism start and end? With most companies it starts and ends at the door of said company (minus drug screens and background checks). I don't see how blasting music accurately reflects a prospective employee's professionalism, experience, or capability to work. Ultimately, I suppose it is the employer's decision, but I don't think such a hasty hiring decision should be based on something as petty as that.

If I can hear your music when I am inside as you drive up it means all in the area can as well. They see you in my parking lot and presume you represent my company. Thus you make my company look bad. If you are that unprofessional when coming to an interview which is when people fake like they are professionals the most I would have to wonder just how unprofessional you would really turn out to be. Thus no chance at getting hired.

Another thing I do is look outside at your car. If trashy and dirty, not just minor road grime or mud from recent rain but obvious neglect I will not hire either as how can I expect you to take care of my equipment when you don't take care of your own.

Oh and the you is not directed at you but the imaginary candidate for a job.

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member

I believe it speaks to the persons maturity and desire for the job. It really should be common sense not to blast music when arriving at a perspective employers place of business just as one should never "forget" to remove a peircing or turn off a cell phone before an interview. If you neglect these details when going for a job you want then how can the employer believe you will act when you already have the job and are representing them when they are not looking?

vienessewaltzer

Forum Probie
I guess in the parking lot, sure. I just mean it was a tad hasty in my opinion. If I were the employer, I would have at least given the man an interview. Blasting loud music isn't really a sign of immaturity or a reasonable outlook at the desire for the job in my opinion. I know plenty of hardened professionals (not necessarily in the medical field) that blast music all the time, and are still able to get respectable positions. Like I said, I don't think that blasting music should be an object of scrutiny while going to an interview. Although in the parking lot is a bit much, I still think the person should have received an interview. At least then, he could have shown his subsequent maturity level and professionalism. Maybe that company lost a valuable employee. Maybe they lucked out and were able to avoid a larger problem revealed by his blatant disregard to everyone's musical taste that resided outside of his car. Who knows? Professionalism is shown through dress, maturity, and interview prowess not through the decibel level of your stereo system.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
You can do anything you want

Yeah, but where should professionalism start and end? With most companies it starts and ends at the door of said company (minus drug screens and background checks).

Right up until you get caught.

Professionalism starts anytime personal behavior or values identify you in public.

Many businesss owners (in any industry) see their business as a reflection of thier values, beliefs, an accomplishments. There is also a consierable sociological and cultural component they wish to portray.

For example, if you are in business serving an elderly conservative client base, you want them to pick you over the competition. By demonstrating you share thier culture and values, they are more likely to choose you over somebody who even appears not to.

In medicine, most patients haven't got any idea what constitutes good care. (in EMS some are still measuring response times) they judge you largely based on how you appear and how you treat them and their family as a person. Is it fair? No. Whoever said life was fair?

Part of every culture is the intolerance of cultures.

If you can't control your impulses enough to appear what a company wants to portray when you are in plain sight, (I am probably labeled quite liberal but even I speculate) you will not be able to put on a good show when it is not a special occasion like an interview.

I agree what you do on your time is not your employers concern, right up until you are associated with it. (Like wearing your department tshirt to the local strip club or showing up on TV readily identifiable by your customers doing something any one of them might find highly objectionable) Yet another reason not to live in the community you work for.

(not a personal example) I could be the founder of the local goth swingers society, hosting parties at my house, but if somebody at work finds out without being a participant, (who then has to keep up appearances at work too) I would expect my employer might not be so supportive at least and would probably find a "legit" reason my services are no longer needed.

I don't think it is a wise idea to judge somebody as caring or not for their equipment by the state of theirs. Some people have to economically choose between maintaining the car or buying food for the kids. They must do the best with what they have and the ability to do more with less is certainly valuable in any employ. I have also found they are very loyal employees and usually take pride in and put forth their very best for their employer.

Now if they have a low rider with a Jolly Rodger painted on with the words "panty pirate" underneath it, or a vanity plate that says "callgrl" or "halucn8," well, that is another matter entirely.

EMS specific. An ambulance is a giant rolling billboard. With bright flashing lights and sirens trying to call attention to it. Anytime you work on one you are under the microscope. Perception counts a lot.

Let's say you are responding lights and sirens to call, safely proceed through a red light, are then canceled for whatever reason, shut off your lights and sirens and pull into McDs on your lunch break and roll the windows down and turn the radio up.

What just happened?

What did the public see?

I will bet dollars to doughnuts they saw EMS abuse their position to hurry up and get to McDs and create a disturbance for thier own pleasure.

It is not about what you do or don't do or how you look or don't, it is all about how well you hide it.

vienessewaltzer

Forum Probie
Right up until you get caught.

Professionalism starts anytime personal behavior or values identify you in public.

Many businesss owners (in any industry) see their business as a reflection of thier values, beliefs, an accomplishments. There is also a consierable sociological and cultural component they wish to portray.

For example, if you are in business serving an elderly conservative client base, you want them to pick you over the competition. By demonstrating you share thier culture and values, they are more likely to choose you over somebody who even appears not to.

In medicine, most patients haven't got any idea what constitutes good care. (in EMS some are still measuring response times) they judge you largely based on how you appear and how you treat them and their family as a person. Is it fair? No. Whoever said life was fair?

Part of every culture is the intolerance of cultures.

If you can't control your impulses enough to appear what a company wants to portray when you are in plain sight, (I am probably labeled quite liberal but even I speculate) you will not be able to put on a good show when it is not a special occasion like an interview.

I agree what you do on your time is not your employers concern, right up until you are associated with it. (Like wearing your department tshirt to the local strip club or showing up on TV readily identifiable by your customers doing something any one of them might find highly objectionable) Yet another reason not to live in the community you work for.

(not a personal example) I could be the founder of the local goth swingers society, hosting parties at my house, but if somebody at work finds out without being a participant, (who then has to keep up appearances at work too) I would expect my employer might not be so supportive at least and would probably find a "legit" reason my services are no longer needed.

I don't think it is a wise idea to judge somebody as caring or not for their equipment by the state of theirs. Some people have to economically choose between maintaining the car or buying food for the kids. They must do the best with what they have and the ability to do more with less is certainly valuable in any employ. I have also found they are very loyal employees and usually take pride in and put forth their very best for their employer.

Now if they have a low rider with a Jolly Rodger painted on with the words "panty pirate" underneath it, or a vanity plate that says "callgrl" or "halucn8," well, that is another matter entirely.

EMS specific. An ambulance is a giant rolling billboard. With bright flashing lights and sirens trying to call attention to it. Anytime you work on one you are under the microscope. Perception counts a lot.

Let's say you are responding lights and sirens to call, safely proceed through a red light, are then canceled for whatever reason, shut off your lights and sirens and pull into McDs on your lunch break and roll the windows down and turn the radio up.

What just happened?

What did the public see?

I will bet dollars to doughnuts they saw EMS abuse their position to hurry up and get to McDs and create a disturbance for thier own pleasure.

It is not about what you do or don't do or how you look or don't, it is all about how well you hide it.

I completely agree. You just have to be smart about when/where you participate in said unprofessional activity. I still don't like the response of the employer in the situation above though, despite his right to deny an interview.