EMT positions in San Diego

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
out of curiosity, where'd you go to EMT school?

Reason I ask, many have "contacts" within agencies to help get you in the door.

Last edited by a moderator:

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Miramar. Over the summer.

Here's the problem for me though--I go to school at SDSU full time, so I'm looking for a part time position. It's kind of a catch 22. I need hours to get into nursing school, but can't get them because I'm going to school. It's turning into a bit of a problem.

But any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
yeah, that puts you in a tough spot. Hard to get a PT spot fresh out of school. I used to not consider hiring anyone for PT unless they were seasoned if at all. There aren't many BLS agencies that even hire PT around here. did you say you applied to South Bay?

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I've been hearing that a lot. No I didn't apply to South Bay, but I can if that would be a good idea. I'm up for anything at this point.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
went to miramar this last fall, i had mary SUPER awesome instructor. So balboa is decent? I was leery because I haven't heard awesome things...but hell a job is a job right?

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I've been hearing that a lot. No I didn't apply to South Bay, but I can if that would be a good idea. I'm up for anything at this point.

I applied at southbay and they offered me an "on call/ part time" position but i declined and said i'd rather wait for full time. I worked as a valet and got stuck with on call/ PT and it was awful, but it may work out better for you? who knows

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
I applied at southbay and they offered me an "on call/ part time" position but i declined and said i'd rather wait for full time. I worked as a valet and got stuck with on call/ PT and it was awful, but it may work out better for you? who knows

Hmmm. This might work. Thanks! Now do they have a website at all or do I need to go find them in person?

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
i couldnt find the website, but i found the address and i could tell you how to get there if you want?

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
No website, They're up on Morena, near Pacific Beach. Look up the number and address on Google and swing by with a resume, ya never know.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
yes its on morena wayyy down along the 5 PASSED costco....there's like a little group of business buildings and when you go in there's a deli, and diagonal from the deli is there office, i think its suite 208? it seriously looks like an apartment.

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Okay. I was looking at the map, and it's not that far for me. I think I'll head over on Friday and see what kind of trouble I can get into. Thanks for the help!

And sanders, who was your instructor? I had Salinsky and Vernon.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
I had Mary, and someone else substituted for her like two or three times. i cant remember his name, but he was a firefighter and on hazmat, i think his name was ben? i dunno, but yea, Mary. what'd you think of the class? I REALLY enjoyed it. loved the labs too

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Yeah that's Ben. He rocks! He was one of my teachers (they traded off since they both work full time.) Mary had a class at the same time as we did, so I didn't get to see her that much, but what I did see seemed like she's a good teacher. I really liked it. We were like a little family at the end of the class. The labs were great too. All the TAs were awesome. I didn't really want it to end to be honest. I'd go back and do it again in a heart beat.

Another question for you, just to stay on topic...What did you do leading up to getting the position offered to you? Interview? Written test? Application? Just so I'm ready.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
For most companies, you will get some sort of written, and possibly a skill test. almost all do some sort of written quiz. Always have a resume ready to go add to your application when you turn it in.

LSalander

Forum Crew Member
That's what I was going to ask next. With RM, I can just show up, since nothing electronic and it's normal to show up at the office. But with Pacific, Balboa, and others, since everything is online, I wanted to make sure I'm not overstepping any boundaries by showing up to say hi and check on my app.
I walked into Balboa's office in El Cajon and they handed me an app. I've gone to each company in person to hand in my apps and got interviews on the spot at two.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
Yeah that's Ben. He rocks! He was one of my teachers (they traded off since they both work full time.) Mary had a class at the same time as we did, so I didn't get to see her that much, but what I did see seemed like she's a good teacher. I really liked it. We were like a little family at the end of the class. The labs were great too. All the TAs were awesome. I didn't really want it to end to be honest. I'd go back and do it again in a heart beat.

Another question for you, just to stay on topic...What did you do leading up to getting the position offered to you? Interview? Written test? Application? Just so I'm ready.

Yea agreed at the "bein a little family" lol our class was the same, we made Mary cry on our last day lol

Umm as for that offered position...i hadn't done anything at that point just walked in and applied. However i had heard from a friend who works at AMR that southbay "would hire me cause im 'cute'" lol so i can't say really if it was a professional appearence or what cause the dude was like "well i can do this for you right now, and maybe in a month we can move you up" i'd been around the on-call train before and once you get on it you dont get back off it

Anto

Forum Probie
Heads up, SDMSE just hired close to 30 employees, 1/3 of those being medics. They are hiring another 15 EMT's in late March, early April. If you want in, go fill out an app!

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
san diego medical services?
Are they the same or different then rural metro? everytime i go to their site it always get back to R/M somehow...