EMT positions in San Diego

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
Interestingly, I wasn't offered anything at Southbay, so you must have said the right things or something, sanders! And I heard that AMR is hiring again, so go for it!

LostViet408

Forum Crew Member
So I'm currently in northern California, but since there's no job up here, I would like to apply down south near San Diego, OC, or LA area. Anyone heard of any company thats hiring? I've applied at all the places that was mentioned in this thread, anyone got any insights? :D much appreciated! I'm new here by the way. Thanks!

kravturtle

Forum Crew Member
So I'm currently in northern California, but since there's no job up here, I would like to apply down south near San Diego, OC, or LA area. Anyone heard of any company thats hiring? I've applied at all the places that was mentioned in this thread, anyone got any insights? :D much appreciated! I'm new here by the way. Thanks!

I don't know about OC or LA, but it's definitely slim pickings in SD. I would see about OC, LA, or even Riverside or San Bernardino.

Rev.IKON

Forum Crew Member
I don't know about OC or LA, but it's definitely slim pickings in SD. I would see about OC, LA, or even Riverside or San Bernardino.

ive gotten interviews in oc and la county. i live in sb and it doesnt seem like u would get anywhere in this county. dont know about riverside and sd iv had no luck at all. both oc and la co have extended scope which are classes u need to take. definately take la before u go apply and with oc seems like the company will give u the class if you get hired. i did both counties regreted oc because the company i went to interview told me that they would have given it to me. good luck

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
i haven't heard of ANYWHERE in sd bein "easy" to get on really. it's all like one said, slim pickins. but its worth it to try anywhere you can.

terrible one

Always wandering
Not always practical, some of us own homes and have spouses with good jobs that they like. Besides, how could I leave this great city :)

If you are expecting a career in EMS than its less practical to try and own a home, start a family, etc. than to go outside the state. Unless your significant other/wife/family is paying all the bills, then by all means stay.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
If you are expecting a career in EMS than its less practical to try and own a home, start a family, etc. than to go outside the state. Unless your significant other/wife/family is paying all the bills, then by all means stay.

Well, I purchased my home in 1999, in fact I imagine my mortgage is less than most peoples rent. My wife and I earn modest salaries but with combined income, we live quite comfortably. With the Ca economy in the toilet, I would be crazy to sell now. So as I said, for some leaving Ca is not practical.

LSalander

Forum Crew Member
I've been told the key to gettin' an EMT job in SD is persistence and know your stuff - protocols especially. Keep up with studying and practicing skills. Even w/o the dummies and equipment you can go over it in your head and mimic the motions. Whatever it takes to be sharp. Practice your interview questions and answers. The more prepared you are the more confident you are, and that shows.

Do whatever you have to do to stand out. Buy a decent-to-good suit ($100ish), make that resume shine with a good cover letter (go online for samples, specifically EMT ones), organize your certs and all the required paperwork (anything they might ask for) in a professional binder, and keep calling and applying in person.

It makes all the difference when there's 100s of applicants.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The Men's warehouse on Midway has some pretty fair prices on suits (100ish). I agree wear a suit to an interview, it shows respect to your perspective employer and yourself. It is a courtesy thing that shows something of character. IMHO

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Those are HUGE. Knowledge will help you seal the deal, but that first impression is what really helps.

If you even are going in to just fill out an app, be dressed, you may just get an interview on the spot. If you look like you just came off a weekend bender, you wont have a chance.

another thing, and it's hard for many that are just out of school but is also huge... references. If you went to Miramar, EMSTA, wherever... get a referral letter from one of your instructors, it will go a long way, believe me. If you KNOW someone with a good rep in the area, USE them as a reference and if possible, get a reference letter. Networking is as big a deal in the small world that is EMS. It could make the difference.

Just my .02 :)

bkelly

Forum Ride Along
Of these companies which has the best chance of doing 911 response instead of BLS discharges? I work for a private service in Indianapolis but I work a 24 hour rotating shift at the firehouse doing only 911 response. Really hate the thought of going back to a transfer truck but I really want to relocate to California. Any one have any advice?

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
In San Diego? Rural Metro has the city contract, so you can get on a medic unit after 6 months probation. AMR has a couple contracts in the burbs and do drop downs to their BLS units.

Those are your only 2 choices in SD area.

Kou7793

Forum Probie
how difficult do you guys think it would be to get a part time job (1 shift a week) as a basic in the SD area? which companies do you think would be most likely to hire someone for that? would i just go to different companies and ask if they have positions available?

thanks

CAPilot55

Forum Crew Member
I wonder how long this thread will go on for..all i know is CA in general is a bad time to get any type of job. You would do better making money, standing out in front of a Home Depot looking for work.:p

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
how difficult do you guys think it would be to get a part time job (1 shift a week) as a basic in the SD area? which companies do you think would be most likely to hire someone for that? would i just go to different companies and ask if they have positions available?

thanks

Only 2 I know of that would even give you a shot at PT is Bayside(South Bay) and Xtreme Care.

The rest only want FT.

EMTsanders

Forum Crew Member
so i gotta call from r/m who wanted an interview the very next day only to have to turn them down because i was in catalina and had no possible way to make it home in time unless i spent $135 on a cab and $68 on the ferry...but i told them i was extremely interested and to keep me in mind for next time....

and for everyone else in san diego, i heard that soak city is hiring on site EMTs and to just go down and fill out an app.