Wow...

indygirl14

Forum Crew Member
I really don't know how y'all do it...working full-time, going to school and raising a family!!

EMT school is going great...we are just now finishing up airways and getting into assessments. Signed up last week for clinicals (are required to do 3 eight hour ER shifts and 2 twelve hour ambulance shifts. As soon as everyone gets off their rear ends and signs up for shifts, I'm going to take as many as I can fit in my schedule.

I think I'm pretty much set on going to Paramedic school next year...

We started school in January and sit for state practicals the first weekend in June.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I really don't know how y'all do it...working full-time, going to school and raising a family!!

I think I'm pretty much set on going to Paramedic school next year...

We started school in January and sit for state practicals the first weekend in June.

First of all...Good Luck to you.

Now, take whatever time you don't have with your family now.....multiply that by at least 10...and that is how much time you won't have with your family while your in Medic school.

Make sure everyone in your family is totally prepared for you to not be yourself, to see you fairly minimally, and understands that "quality time" may actaully only be the 5 minutes your kissing them goodbye in the mornings or goodnight in the evenings.

But also keep in mind...there is an end...and it will pay back 200% if you truely want to be a Paramedic, love the profession, and have the love, respect, and support of your family.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Princess is absolutely right about the time demands of medic class. I put in a "guest appearance" a couple times a week, if I am lucky! ( A guest appearance would be anything longer than 15 minutes at home and not studying, but actually spending time with the other people there.) We are finally over the hump. We hit the half way mark a couple weeks ago. Rumor has it there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but I have yet to see it. Maybe once pharm and cardiology are behind us we will start to see the glimmerings of it.....

OP
OP
I

indygirl14

Forum Crew Member
Haha...yeah, I don't have a husband or kids...I just don't know how you guys do it.

It'll be worth it when I can quit my 9-5, stuffy corporate downtown office job...

MedicDoug

Forum Crew Member
I just don't know how you guys do it.
Coffee. Lots of it. Black. No sugar. No cream. And from a 7-11, Dunkin' Donuts or your local equivalent. Or from a gas station. not from Starbucks. No mocha/capa/frappa/whatever, iced or otherwise. Perhaps a Mountain Dew every now and then, but never, ever Red Bull or similar... and no donuts (well, not too many) remember, your body is a temple! ;>)
Maintain perspective and a healthy sense of humor whilst delivering oustanding patient care.
Find friends you can talk to about your job. I am lucky to have a girlfriend who not only lets me rant sometimes, but also asks intelligent questions and offers advice, and she's in a career completely removed from EMS
And yes, this job beats the heck out of whatever stuffy office job you have, no matter how much we complain. Good luck.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome and Medic Doug has given some great advice!! :)