Worried about getting a job as an EMT

derrdic3

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hello,

After about 6 months after getting my EMT-B cert. I am trying to find a job with one of several local ambulance companies. I passed my training through a very thorough and demanding program (8 college unit class) where only 15 of about 170 people that started actually passed the program. I went on to pass my National Registry the first time in about 60 questions. I have read everything I could get my hands on about the requirements of an EMT-B and have passed just about every test/practice test I could find.

The problem that I am having is that I feel that I am not prepared to practice in the field. I know all I need to know to do my job but no matter how much I study, I do not feel comfortable pulling up onto a scene and being handed a baby that is apneic, cyanotic and pulseless. Even though I know how to handle the situation by calling for ALS, initiating CPR and rapid transportation as taught to me by the book. I feel as if once I get out into the field, I will panic and forget all I have learned and studied for, and if I screw up and let the baby die? I will never work as an EMT again and my dreams of working as a Firefighter will be smashed.

Now I know everyone has to start somewhere, and everyone on this forum had to have a first day on the job sometime. I am wondering if this is normal, and even though I feel I may know more than most students coming out of EMT programs in the area, will most of my worries be solved through experience of me actually being out and working in the field? Or should I stick to studying until I am fully confident with every situation that could be thrown at me before I should get a job. How did you guys handle the initial pressures of becoming an EMT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wow.

It ok to feel like this. at one point every EMT and medic was scared about how they would handle a call.

EVERYONE

That why we work in teams.

When all else fails, stick to your training. ABC's etc.

When I enlisted in the army I went through basic combat training. a few months later I was deployed to Afghan. I was scared *&%$less.

I was worried about how i would react to a REAL combat situation.

not to get in to the details, but I unfortunately got an answer to my fears.

and I reacted just fine. Training kicked in. The rest wasnt easy, but i relied on what I was thought, and I tried to learn everything i needed to, and some things I didnt.

Good Luck man. You will be fine. and maybe you just needed to hear it. But, you will!

RJ

Look at it this way;

I have 5x the education I had when I was in EMT school, and I STILL feel the sane way as you.

Actual pt care is not one of those things that can be taught in class, and must be learned in the field. Ask medics, and many of them will say it took them abyear to get comfortable in doing their job.

Remember, class teaches you the basics, you learn the most in the field.

I know all I need to know to do my job

There's your answer right there. B)

I'm not there yet, still being a student, but this is a principle that applies to pretty much everything: if the knowledge is still there, then it's still there. You just have to calm down, access it, and use it. :P

Back