Wondering if I should try this or wait until I can afford a college course.

klauss

Forum Ride Along
Hi new guy here

Not an emt yet, but have seen this in the local paper. A private ems company is offering training for emt basic. 3 week course 8 hours a day. The company is life care of central ohio. Upon completion and certification, you sign a 1 year contract to stay with the company.

This is something I have wanted for a long time, but can't afford college courses. I have a pregnant wife and once the baby is here it may be out of reach for a long time. Right now i'm a part time cashier at walgreens.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If it is something you have truly wanted to do, it is something to consider.

A few other things to consider:

Is the pay compatible for your cost of living?

What is your insurance situation with your pregnant wife for the present and near future?

What is the benefit package of the ambulance company?

Will the hours at the ambulance work with babysitting between you and your wife?

What are your future goals as far as education? You may need to advance to the next level or even take required continuing education classes. Remaining an EMT, although many have, is a very short sighted future for growth potential.

What are your wife's goals?

OP
OP
K

klauss

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the reply,

Pay once trained and certified would be a little better than what I get now. We are on my wifes insurance where she works, which is not the best but could be a lot worse, not sure what the benefits package would be, I imagine it would be discussed at the interview.

She is an LPN, wants to be an RN and I would like to advance my training/skill level as much as possible as well.

Thanks again.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
im in the same situation as you, except CVS=]] lol wish they had that here.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Hi new guy here

Not an emt yet, but have seen this in the local paper. A private ems company is offering training for emt basic. 3 week course 8 hours a day. The company is life care of central ohio. Upon completion and certification, you sign a 1 year contract to stay with the company.

This is something I have wanted for a long time, but can't afford college courses. I have a pregnant wife and once the baby is here it may be out of reach for a long time. Right now i'm a part time cashier at walgreens.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

do it but realize you will be working for them for a year. It is a nice size committment with a newborn. Since your working part time, I suggest you do it.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Hey Klauss,

I took an 8 week course, 2 nights a week and all day Saturday and it was just the right pace for me. I couldn't imagine dragging that out through an entire semester at a community college. 3 weeks sounds a bit short but if you have the time to devote to it, go ahead and give it a try.

Good luck with your decision!

pumper12fireman

Forum Crew Member
If you do decide to do go through with the class I would recommend snagging an EMT-B review book. They're about 20 bucks, and have a good intro to the basics. It helps to introduce you to all the terms and mnemonics (SAMPLE, OPQRST, etc..)..