Will it expire?

sansoomedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, this question was probably asked once, but i couldn't find anything. I'm just starting paramedic school and after I finish I'm going into the navy as a corpsman. How can I keep my civilian license up to date while in active duty?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Many states have provisions in their certification policies to allow for active duty military, and I know the NREMT allows you to go into "inactive" status, but you may also be able to use corpsman training as con-ed. If you let us know where you're from, we can provide more information.

OP
OP
S

sansoomedic

Forum Ride Along
I'm from southern California, I looked up on the NREMT website about going inactive sounds good. If anyone has any more advice by all means.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I'm from southern California, I looked up on the NREMT website about going inactive sounds good. If anyone has any more advice by all means.
You will have plenty of stuff you can claim as continuing education in the military. The few EMTs and Medics I knew who were corpsmen or medics in the military got enough training opportunities to put most civilian medics to shame. That being said you should study medical emergencies on your own occasionally as my understanding is that military medics will miss out on seeing and training with diseases that they just don't see.