Why does the driver make more

nihil

Forum Ride Along
Just curious, in some emt job posting that I've seen the driver salary is listed at $1-$2/hr more than the attendant. Is there some reason for this? Aren't both jobs pretty much interchangeable?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
not necessarily. some states dont require the driver to be emt certified. some state also require an "ambulance drivers" license. in that case the attendant cant drive and the driver cant attend unless cross certified.

why the driver would make more i dont get unless(as is becoming the norm) in that area techs are a dime a dozen but they cant find anybody to drive.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Most ambulances now require 2 EMT certified people. However, not everyone may have driving privileges even if they have completed the basic EVOC or ambulance driving course. Some companies may want to do additional training or wait until you reach a certain age before the person is allowed to drive. If you can drive and attend, some companies may pay you more than if just an attendent.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Most ambulances now require 2 EMT certified people.

true, but not every state/district/county requires the driver to be an emt. some place run 3 men heavy(driver and the requisite 2 emts at whatever level) although this is more of a volly deal.

this is all academic to me since in ma, both people are required to be emts and there are no strictly ambulance drivers(unless a company hires an emt solely for the purpose of driving i.e. a critical care truck).