What is this lung sound?

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Haven't heard it before. It's not a crackel sound, not a ronchi, nor a wheezey sound.

Patient kept desatting within a minute or two of coming off oxygen down to 80's. On auscultation you can hear the pulsing of the heart, the inhale and exhale, but on inspiration there is a double thunk that sounds like a louder heartbeat. I can't figure out what to call it and "thunk" doesn't really sound like a technical enough term for a trip sheet.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Could be a gallop, its caused when the ventricles don't fill properly.

I think they call it an s3.

18G

Paramedic
Sounds like you are asking about heart sounds and not lung sounds... you do not need to document heart sounds.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like you are asking about heart sounds and not lung sounds... you do not need to document heart sounds.

Woah!!! I document any abnormal signs that are not normal for said pt.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Could be a gallop, its caused when the ventricles don't fill properly.

I think they call it an s3.

That's what I was suspecting as well

EMSrush

Forum Captain
I suspected an S3 also, but you did say lung sound....

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
It was definitely a lung sound. It was heard in addition to heart beat and only on inspiration. Heart was softer and more rhythmic. This was different like something was being forced out of the way on inspiration. Pt does have a pulled muscle in her back preventing deep breaths hence the tachypnea but I've never heard a lung sound thunk again.

OP
OP
Sassafras

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Oh and heard clearer in lower lobes. Heart sounds softer in right upper and lower. Whatever this was could be heard very clear regardless of position over lungs and clearer in lower lobes.

8jimi8

CFRN
transmitted upper airway sounds.

Since i've started listening with my littman 3100 i've had a whole new school of sounds to decipher. should have heard this awesome wheeze from a pneumothorax on my patient the other day.

too bad Ventmedic doesn't post here anymore, i'm sure she'd have a much more experienced reference to "thunk"

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
On auscultation you can hear the pulsing of the heart, the inhale and exhale, but on inspiration there is a double thunk that sounds like a louder heartbeat.

Read up on "Split S2"

Last edited by a moderator: