What happens if you perform CPR on a non arrest

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I recently read a study regarding this not too long ago. It was a retrospective study with a decent number on pts that had CPR preformed by bystanders that was not continued by EMS. I won't state numbers until I find the study but I remember the incidence of complications was very low. Usually just rib fx and the like. I know it was from the journal NAEMSP puts out, I'll see if I still have it and repost, no promises though.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Interestingly enough, I just read that pulse checks in CPR by laypersons is no longer taught. :unsure:

Yeah, as cited above the current thinking is that continuing CPR on someone with a perfusing rhythm does little/no extra harm. AFAIK, the only time that civilians are to stop CPR is basically if the pt wakes up.

*or when we show up, duh

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Read prior replies.
;)

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, as cited above the current thinking is that continuing CPR on someone with a perfusing rhythm does little/no extra harm. AFAIK, the only time that civilians are to stop CPR is basically if the pt wakes up.

*or when we show up, duh

Of course the one post I overlooked talked about what I said. :lol:

TLettuce

Forum Probie
I am a little shocked that this is such a common occurrence! Still have yet to experience that one.

But I suppose it is a pretty efficient way to check one's response to painful stimuli :rolleyes: