What can I do to prepare?

Irish42

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

I'm taking the Delaware EMTb course in a couple months and I'm looking for any advice on what I could do to better prep for it. I much rather jump into it knowing as much as I can rather then not. I am also well aware every EMTb course will vary by state because of policies and laws, but for the most part the basics of EMTb doesn't change to much.

I'll try to list as much as I can remember with what I've been trained in (as far as symtoms, treatment and techniques is involved) from in-house training, red cross, riding as an EMR, etc...
-all fractures
-pulse
-1st, 2nd, 3rd and forth degree burns from chemical, radiation, electrical, fire, steam etc
-heat exhaustion and heat stroke
-cardiact arrest
-Hypothermia and frost bite
-Minor to serve external bleeding
-tourniquet
-assisted breathing (bagging someone)
-CPR (infant, child and adult including mouth to mouth)
-Common drug OD (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, alcohol, Pseudoephedrine, Oxycodon, Oxycotin, Hydrocodone/paracetamol, Cannabis, etc)
-C spine immobilization (short story... I had to do this in a pool once on this obese man once.... Biggest pain in the *** ever)
-Scene awareness/safety
-Stretcher use
-blood born pathogens

I'm sure I've missed a few but I currently have mono, strep, a sinus infection and I'm as high as a kite from the meds the doc has me on so yeah.. :wacko:

And I know that there will be much more I will learn at the EMTb course which I'm really excited for, I just want to know what I could study on before class starts.

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
Trauma(car vs ped, shootingm stabbing, ect.)
Medical(Chest pain, SOB, Seizures, Strokes, ect.)
OB/GYN

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Maybe start with A&P?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
If you are motivated and have the time, take an A&P course at a community college this summer, assuming you qualify(Unlike EMT school, A&P has actual pre requisites). If you cant take a course, at least acquire a used text book and read through it.

You could also buy your EMT text book early and read through it. A good EMT school will require the students read through a chapter before that chapter is taught in class. Ive already read through my Paramedic text book and I havent even started the class. Yeah it was possibly the most boring experience of my life, but I feel a lot better prepared.

ZootownMedic

Forum Lieutenant
A&P, practice your vitals(pulse taking, BP, lung sounds especially) and please....stay away from the mouth to mouth man. Pocket Facemasks are your friend....if it comes to that.:cool:

OP
OP
I

Irish42

Forum Probie
A&P, practice your vitals(pulse taking, BP, lung sounds especially) and please....stay away from the mouth to mouth man. Pocket Facemasks are your friend....if it comes to that.:cool:

I guess it's a good idea I start my A&P classes a few weeks ago ;)

But yeah, I hope to god I never have to perform mouth to mouth without a facemask... That would implesent.. To say the least.:blink:

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Read up on the types of shock and the associated S/s and vitals. If you class does not require a Weapons of Mass Destruction online course (mine did, it was free and took a few hours) you might take one anyway, its good training.