Vol firefighter protection act (IL)

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
"Creates the Volunteer Firefighter Job Protection Act. Provides that no public or private employer may terminate an employee who is a volunteer firefighter because the employee, when acting as a volunteer firefighter, is absent from or late to his or her employment in order to respond to an emergency prior to the time the employee is to report to his or her place of employment. Provides that an employee who is terminated in violation of the Act may bring a civil action against his or her employer for reinstatement to the employee's former position, payment of back wages, reinstatement of fringe benefits, and reinstatement of seniority rights. Limits the concurrent exercise of home rule powers. Effective immediately"

Read the rest here:

http://www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/B...=HB&SessionID=3

Good news for me!

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you for posting this information. I'm in IL., too. My husband and I are both volunteer firefighters, and were waiting word on this bill. We have training this coming Wednesday, so we'll ask our respective officers about getting this in writing so we can give it to our supervisors at work. :) Thanks!

OP
OP
C

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
No problem! I did the same, and I keep a copy in my desk just to be safe :)