transferring from an urban to a rural community...

medic8ed

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone ever gone from a high call Centre to a lower call Centre with several medics having a lower license level or minimal experience?

My frustration is Un-naturally high. Attended a stabbing unfortunately in Canada if it's a traumatic arrest our tx guidelines essentially say transport regardless of hx. I walked into a mess of a scene chaotic zero organization and panicking medic X 2. They are EMR level so not a lot they can do regardless. My point is the differences in competency is to large not to notice. It's been easy to coach and encourage one girl. The stabbing call was alright I didn't want to transport but the EMR had called the doctor panicking so he had already made the decision for her. I was able to professionally correct some of the mistakes being made. But a sad little part of me felt like turning around and walking out. Obviously I would not as I'm seriously addicted to my job.

The "trauma centre" here threw me off its not what I'm used to for sure.
I realize I sound like a princess used to loads of resources. I guess it's pretty frustrating knowing not everywhere has even a fraction of the resources the city gets. Not to mention the lack of training and skills.

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
So far I haven't made that kind of a switch but i'm hoping to soon. The medics I have seen at work though have all been very good at what they do except one group of medics I happen to have arrive before me at an unknown medical and they literally told me nothing, meaning they did not attempt to find out any info about what happened, when or what the HX of the pt was. I ended up searching some of the adult home (manor care) for the pts nurse to find out HX, last seen normal etc and to no avail. Ended up making me look bad because I had next to nothing on what was going on with the pt except what I found in my own assessment which led me to think stroke or TIA which made it worse because I couldn't find any info on the last seen normal for the pt. I honestly wish i spent more time searching for a nurse to get that HX but in the end I just started saying manor care doesn't really care...maybe that's unfair to other manor care nurses but damn you don't call for an ambulance and leave the pt completely unattended.

OP
OP
M

medic8ed

Forum Ride Along
That's normal for care homes here as well... "The medics will deal with it"... your lucky if they show up as your leaving the building with the pt. They usually have something to say along the lines of " it's not my patient I just called or I have other patients too" meanwhile the slip and fall with a head lac now has a GCS of 9 and has aspirated on their vomit before you've gotten to them. something along those lines.

My other favorite was showing up to a call 25 minutes away from our response area and the first responders had been there a out 20 minutes the report I got ? " this is molly. Molly is having chest pain so I'll just let you get in there to do your thing". ..20 minutes and that's all you have ? I take one look at her and can see she's sick. She was infarcting.

I'm not by any means "perfect" but this is definitely a whole new world for me.