the 100% directionless thread

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I had to do a report on the greyhound bus system in high school. obviously i didnt get to choose the topic

:lol: I did greyhound cross country when I was a newlywed......... You couldn't pay me to go greyhound ever again.

Medic744

Forum Captain
You may have to make this picture bigger to see what the sign says, but it should serve as a reminder on all CPRs... LOL

Attachments

• random.jpg
    random.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 236

wrangler99

Forum Ride Along
personal opinion/professional opinion

Hi there
Can anyone give me their opinion, although I know I already its going to be disappointing and heartbreaking to hear.

For the past 20 years I have always wanted to do EMT but life happened and did the marriage thing had kids etc.
My husband finally agreed to to enroll me in the EMT course in MA, due to start in January. In the meantime I have been researching different ambulance companies and emt training schools etc. I found a couple call centers which would work with my current situation. I have a 10 year old and 4 year old and now found out new arrival due june. So this has changed my situation and my husband feels that I should put the emt training aside until the last child is in preschool etc. My dilemma is I still want to complete the training but my husband wants me to work 1st shift and no weekends.
I know that in my hospital setting where I was previously employed I worked long hours but never weekends.
My question is it possible to go into working for an ambulance with this type of limitations, without looking like I do not want to work. I really do not mind weekend or nights but with husbands schedule and three kids to juggle I just want to know would I be coming off arrogant or disillusioned by limiting myself with this schedule.
I know some ambulances are really just transport for individuals for diaylsis etc and that would be fine with me too, but I really want to be in a position where I can utilize the skills taught in class and out in the field.
I have a paramedic fireman friend who works varied shifts etc, but being without children / and other responsibilities like that it is easy for him.
Be honest I can handle it, I have been told ambulance companies prefer per diem and thats where I can pick those shifts that do not upset that family balance but per diem at the hospital entailed I had to work all the shifts before I could pick the ones I cold work.
thanks for any feedback, just didnt want to throw away the dream just yet
;)

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
YES!!!

Our long national nightmare is over!!!

My harddrive (4 months old, thank you very much) decided to 11-44 on me... But since it is under warrenty, I got a new hard drive in the mail today, installed it, and spent most of the day reloading all my old programs... but I AM BACK!!! Now I can spend hour after hour late at night on EMTLIFE... wait... crap... I was almost free and clear... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

kai.kasin

Forum Probie
the clock is now 01:26 am, and i am going to have a long nice chat with my friend pillow

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm so tired I can't see straight, but I have a lot more work to get done tonight. I'm on some random internet forum instead of doing that because I don't even want to think about work. I know I'm being counterproductive, but can't bring myself to care.

Hi there
Can anyone give me their opinion, although I know I already its going to be disappointing and heartbreaking to hear.

I'm all for hurtful honesty, but not so much for doing it publicly. Check your private messages.

As for the hours, yes, it's hard to call your shots as a rookie. But I've heard of some people getting lucky. You can always apply and be upfront about your limits and see what you get. More realistically, what you also could do to compromise is take the class and volunteer--you'll get a lot more scheduling flexibility there, most places. That way, you can get experience and be ready when your family reaches a point where you have enough time to work.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Wishing I could do something to perk up my friend. Life keeps whoopin her kass and she is such a good person. As it is she was up until the wee hours finishing a 48 tacked on to a 36, feeling like she got hit by a truck, oh and having to document her code out the booty since she got a pulse back only to get to the ER and they inform her the pt has a DNR. Poor thing cant catch a break. Oh and her relief didnt show on time.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Spent 3 hours at an urgent care facility to be told what I already knew: I have bronchitis.

Oh well, I got a script for Zythromax. When asked if I wanted a cough medication, I should have asked for Tussionex.. darnit!

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
Spent 3 hours at an urgent care facility to be told what I already knew: I have bronchitis.

Oh well, I got a script for Zythromax. When asked if I wanted a cough medication, I should have asked for Tussionex.. darnit!

Tussionex on top of a Z-pack? You're a glutton for punishment, or want to stay stoned for a while. Both are good, but TOGETHER?

Michael Sykes

Forum Crew Member
Wishing I could do something to perk up my friend. Life keeps whoopin her kass and she is such a good person. As it is she was up until the wee hours finishing a 48 tacked on to a 36, feeling like she got hit by a truck, oh and having to document her code out the booty since she got a pulse back only to get to the ER and they inform her the pt has a DNR. Poor thing cant catch a break. Oh and her relief didnt show on time.

84 straight, and then her relief didn't show? How did she function? When I was still a volly firefighter, we pulled a string of all-nighters, and managed to get 8 hours of sleep spread over 4 nights. The 5th day, my understanding boss sent me home with orders not to come back until I'd had at least 8 hours' sleep straight. Said he'd cover me, but I wasn't doing him any good with my forehead hitting my desk disturbing my co-workers.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
YES!!!

Our long national nightmare is over!!!

My harddrive (4 months old, thank you very much) decided to 11-44 on me... But since it is under warrenty, I got a new hard drive in the mail today, installed it, and spent most of the day reloading all my old programs... but I AM BACK!!! Now I can spend hour after hour late at night on EMTLIFE... wait... crap... I was almost free and clear... :p

i'm guessing your 11-44 is my signal 7

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
11-44 Coroners Case

One of the few 10 codes/11 codes that is still in common use among all LE/EMS/Fire agencies locally...

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Public Service Announcement: Calling 911 for a papercut is a waste of everyone's time. Even if you're terrified of blood, there's something you can use so that you don't have to see it anymore. It's called a bandaid.

Z-pack makes you euphoric?

Hmph, I've been jipped! I feel normal.

Me too... so normal, in fact, that the infections I kept getting Z-packs for eventually led up to pneumonia. That was new kinds of fun.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I just had emergency hernia surgery. I feel like poop. Having some orthostatic hypotension that just wont go away. Bring on the meds, pillows and sleepy-time.

Medic744

Forum Captain
84 straight, and then her relief didn't show? How did she function? When I was still a volly firefighter, we pulled a string of all-nighters, and managed to get 8 hours of sleep spread over 4 nights. The 5th day, my understanding boss sent me home with orders not to come back until I'd had at least 8 hours' sleep straight. Said he'd cover me, but I wasn't doing him any good with my forehead hitting my desk disturbing my co-workers.

Well my little naked sleep walking friend got some sleep in between the calls but not alot. Today is better, she finally made it home and when I last checked she was snuggling up with her "kiddos" in bed for the long haul.