Taking ACP in Alberta Help! (PMA)

Jay77

Forum Ride Along
I'm applying to Professional Medical Associates school for their next EMT-P course around Feb 2013. I've been working as a PCP in MB for approx 8 months for a contract medic company (some ambulance work, mostly camp work). I realize this seems fairly soon to be taking EMT-P but I know a previous employee has followed this route and it worked out great for him. (Cannot contact him)

What I'm wondering what core things should I really be spending my dreadfully long camp tours studying to help out with my application? Does anyone know any of the particulars about PMA? Any specific courses that would be helpful? (I have ACLS and ITLS) I can't seem to find much information on them anywhere.

I love reading and have unlimited motivation to further my knowledge/education but don't know where to direct it. Appreciate suggestions from anyone in ALS.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Get very very familiar with A&P, Patho, and microbiology. Pharm will help as well. (get familiar with all the different classes and commonly used drugs) having a good understanding of these will make the program so much easier.
Other cert courses you could do are PALS and NRP or their equivalents They may not be required for all employers but are good certs to have.

Most schools I have seen want at least a year but you will probably do fine if you are accepted.
Good luck
I am on the east coast and have been considering heading out west for some contract work. Is there still a lot of work out there for a newer ACPs?

OP
OP
J

Jay77

Forum Ride Along
Great! Thanks for the tips. I spend a huge amount of my time reading pharm. Any particular texts or websites you found specifically useful for those topics?

Considering it's easy for EMR's to find jobs doing contract work around central/western Canada I don't think you'd have any trouble whatsoever finding employment as an ACP.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Browse around, there are a lot of threads on here with advise and what to pre study before going to EMT-P school . Will post my list when I get home from work.