Synthetic Weed

OrlMedic3388

Forum Ride Along
I am a medic in Orlando and we have been having a big problem with this as of the past few months. I dont know if anyone else is having the same issue, but I came across a good example of it sunday. It is marketed as incense, but if smoked it can mimic the effects of smoking weed. I am not positive of the ingredients in it. Here in Orlando there are a few different brands, K2 and Mr. Nice Guy are the two ive come across. There is a percentage of people that get very intense side effects. Ive read that it actually makes people self mutilate themselves. I have never come across that, but another side effect is similar to that of a cocaine overdose.

Sundays case

22 year old male stated he smoked some weed about 45min to 1 hour before my arrival. He stated that he friend said he mixed in a little something extra for his birthday, but did not say what.

Skin was pink warm and dry
pupils were equal and reactive at 3mm
bp 142/84
resp rate of 24
initial heart rate 193
o2% on room air was 97% then 100% on nrb
end tidal 42
bgl 124

he denied any pain what so ever
denied any difficulty breathing
stated he felt like his heart was racing

normally adenosine is not used for drug induced tachycardia, but i was told by one of the er docs that since these chemicals in the synthetic weed are different than that of cocaine is was ok. I was skeptical, but after 6mg of adenosine the heart rate came down to 117. Also the administration of the adenosine was cleared with medical control. So who knows

here is the 12 lead

Just want to pick some brains and see what you think

mail

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
JWH016 and JWH018.

8jimi8

CFRN
fix your link please

I am a medic in Orlando and we have been having a big problem with this as of the past few months. I dont know if anyone else is having the same issue, but I came across a good example of it sunday. It is marketed as incense, but if smoked it can mimic the effects of smoking weed. I am not positive of the ingredients in it. Here in Orlando there are a few different brands, K2 and Mr. Nice Guy are the two ive come across. There is a percentage of people that get very intense side effects. Ive read that it actually makes people self mutilate themselves. I have never come across that, but another side effect is similar to that of a cocaine overdose.

Sundays case

22 year old male stated he smoked some weed about 45min to 1 hour before my arrival. He stated that he friend said he mixed in a little something extra for his birthday, but did not say what.

Skin was pink warm and dry
pupils were equal and reactive at 3mm
bp 142/84
resp rate of 24
initial heart rate 193
o2% on room air was 97% then 100% on nrb
end tidal 42
bgl 124

he denied any pain what so ever
denied any difficulty breathing
stated he felt like his heart was racing

normally adenosine is not used for drug induced tachycardia, but i was told by one of the er docs that since these chemicals in the synthetic weed are different than that of cocaine is was ok. I was skeptical, but after 6mg of adenosine the heart rate came down to 117. Also the administration of the adenosine was cleared with medical control. So who knows

here is the 12 lead

Just want to pick some brains and see what you think

mail