Stupid question about medic school

EMTJosh9

Forum Probie
do you have to be NREMT to go to medic school , or can you just be a regular EMT ?!?!?! I'm goin to assume yes , nation registry but just wanna know for sure.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm sure it depends on the program, but typically a state certification is all that's required.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
There is a program here that requires having taken the NREMT in the past year.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Typically, you just need a state card.

ETA: some schools are very competitive, like, they have 200-400 applicants, but only 40 spots. Those schools sometimes have a bunch of extra criteria to weed out one applicant from another. Some schools simply do a pre-test and base it on who is the most knowledgeable. In this sort of situation, where a school is trying to sort through applicants, they might require additional standards. Additionally, most schools have to maintain a certain pass rate percentage for accreditation purposes. Those schools sometimes add a lot of stuff on the front end to ensure that the candidates have better chances of passing in the end in order to keep their accreditation.

Short answer: most places just need a current, valid state card.

Long answer: it is very complicated, and for a variety of reasons schools often add extra requirements. All states vary. All schools vary.

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I would say it depends on where the school is: if it is in a state that uses NR-EMT; then you would have to be NR-EMT certified. If it is in a state that has their own state cert, then just that state.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You should check with the schools you want to attend. Everyone is saying the same stuff.