Should I Become EMT-P?

TheCourier

Forum Probie
I want to be able to treat acute physical trauma patients. Are EMT-P's able to effectively treat trauma such as gunshots or explosions? How much can they do for a patient suffering acute physical trauma (perhaps similar to injuries sustained in a war zone)?

Would an ER Registered Nurse be more qualified in this area?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What do you want to use this education for?

crazychick

Forum Probie
I want to be able to treat acute physical trauma patients. Are EMT-P's able to effectively treat trauma such as gunshots or explosions? How much can they do for a patient suffering acute physical trauma (perhaps similar to injuries sustained in a war zone)?

um this is why there are emt-p's out there. Most private squads wont pay for an ER RN

Veneficus

Forum Chief

no

life threatening trauma requires a combination of surgery and intensive medicine to be effective.

In the civilian world with the possible exception of a chest decompression and a surgical cric, both of which are rarely indicated, true trauma care is provided primarily by surgeons, anesthesia, and respective critical care physicians.