Self-Defense is boring..........

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Self-Defense is Boring

In watching any mixed-martial arts (MMA) event it is easy to get excited, to cheer for your favorite fighter but to watch a person put his hand up and say “I don’t want to fight” is boring. Self-defense, better-labeled “defensive tactics” for EMS must have the “I don’t want to fight” attitude as the underlying reason for the training.

Now that MMA is mainstream I believe it has skewed the perception of the “average person”. An MMA fight is not self-defense. MMA is a fight between two trained warriors. Usually the opponents have some knowledge of each other and have trained accordingly. The fighters also know when and where the fight will take place. There is a time to warm-up and stretch prior to the fight. There has been time allotted to prepare for the adrenaline dump pre-fight.

In an assault on EMS on the street, it usually comes as a surprise to the provider. When that surprise comes, if the provider is not prepared for the reaction of his or her own body, there is a freeze point. Regular training both mental and physical will help reduce the effects of that moment.

Training for self-defense is mission specific. It is designed to give you options rather than becoming a victim of an assault. The training mentality must be different than that of a fighter. In EMS if you trained to take a patient to the ground and pound them into submission or a knockout you would train yourself out of a job and possibly into jail. As an EMS Provider you must not fight! Your actions must be limited to defensive only. Using only the amount of force needed to escape/end the illegal assault.

MMA, boxing, wrestling or martial arts training is beneficial for an EMS provider but their limits must be understood. I am firm believer in training MMA adding Kali-Silat for edged weapon defense training as well as some realistic firearm threat training. I am also an advocate for weight lifting and cardio exercises as well. That is what I do, how many people at your station “train” daily? Having that in mind you see the average EMS provider doesn’t train enough.

Defensive Tactics is a perishable skill. It must be practiced on a regular basis. If you train for the “probable” and not the “possible” you can focus on the more likely than not type of attacks the EMS provider may face.

A person who trains in MMA and works EMS must add legal and departmental training to their routine to protect themselves on the street. Knowing the laws in your area is of the utmost importance.

So, the next time you watch an MMA event remember, it is a business. There is money to be made so it has to be exciting or you would not watch. Self-defense is boring to watch because someone involved is NOT a willing participant in the fight.

BTW, I am a huge MMA fan. WAR Randy!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Omg I love MMA too.

Forrest Griffin and Anderson Silva are my boys! <3 Heck yeah!

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I box competitively. However, self-defense is completely different. Jiu jitsu seems like the best martial art for self-defense purposes.

Of course self-defense is about defending yourself, not bludgeoning the other person. Otherwise it'd be called "mortal combat training."

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Of course self-defense is about defending yourself, not bludgeoning the other person. Otherwise it'd be called "mortal combat training."
Isn't that Krav Maga? :)

Good article, though, Kip. Important to realize and remember.
Wish I could make your upcoming training, but no way I can make it to MO on EMT pay in these parts

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Self Defense is my LIFE

I teach self defense. That is my job, that is my career. I love it. Self defense is defending yourself from an attacker you believe capable of harming you.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I hope no one misinterpreted the meaning behind the thread. The idea is "perception". What people perceive as self-defense an what is actual self-defense are two different things.

Sometimes when I teach seminars to younger groups I teach them the "Number One Best Self-Defense Move in the World".

I have them start with their hands in front of them, open with elbows bent. I have them pick up one foot, pivot to the rear. Then pick up the foot from behind and place in in front. Repeat the last two steps over and over.

It takes a couple of moments to get a few laughs, then everyone catches on. The idea was to LEAVE the situation. Then we get into the stuff if they had to use force to defend themselves.

MMA has skewed perception for the "average" person. Not everyone, including myself has the dedication, youth or desire to be a pro-fighter. I do however practice what I preach. I work out at least 4 days per week. I grapple, stick spar and kickbox to try and keep myself fresh. We also spend tons of time on scenario based training using a full impact FIST suit to "pressure test" skill.

Listen to interviews with pro-fighters. Several have stated they have never been in a fight outside of a ring. Jason Chambers made comments while on "Human Weapon" there was a real difference in fighting in the ring and defending himself against surprise attacks.

Whatever your training is, it must be LIVE. In other words, you have to work it beyond just step A, step B etc. with a compliant partner.

Attacks on EMS are a surprise in nature. The attacker is usually high, drunk or in an altered mental state. ( Like the video Rid posted) Getting into a fight with a person who does not feel pain is a bad, bad idea.

To WATCH self-defense is boring. To train for it is exciting!!

Stay Safe.

Kip