rescue breathing

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Adults 1 breath every 5-6 seconds.

Children 1 breath every 3-5 seconds.

Is their an infant rate? A neo-natal rate?

There was nothing in my orange text book or class notes.

Thank you.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
What is this, first aid class in the fifties?

If you are doing CPR it's 30:2 no matter who

If you are manually ventilating with a bag mask adults is 8-10 breaths a minute and children 16-20 .... or if you have an asthmatic patient then six breaths a minute and not more.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you for the reply, however, I think protocols may be different in your nation.

I am just going through my notes as I bide my time for my next interview.

I was reviewing everything.

I just noticed in the CPR guidelines for American College of Orth Surgeons a/k/a Orange Book, there was no numbers for children.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Neonate resp range that we use in the NICU is 20-60. 40 is about the norm. Textbook answers are out there in Google. Real world... I know we look at the whole picture, color, EtCO2, sats and titrate from there. We start about about 1 breath q 3 sec and go from there.

Biggest thing... control your efforts, it is way to easy to cause barotrauma by an over-enthusiastic hyped up provider.:-/

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Neonate resp range that we use in the NICU is 20-60. 40 is about the norm. Textbook answers are out there in Google. Real world... I know we look at the whole picture, color, EtCO2, sats and titrate from there. We start about about 1 breath q 3 sec and go from there.

Biggest thing... control your efforts, it is way to easy to cause barotrauma by an over-enthusiastic hyped up provider.:-/

Thank you, do you know of an EMS link that addresses that.

In an NICU, or on a specialty ambulance for neo-nats, I assume there is a machine doing the respirations ?

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you for your reply.

I hoped that satisified yourself to invoke the lmgtfy, but the textbook for the CPR cert I have does not adress rescue breathes for infants, only adults or children.

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's simply showing you that many answers to your questions could be found by googling.

P.S- In school I rarely opened my textbook. If there was something I didn't know, I took to google. I learned a lot more than the textbook would teach about the subject. It often baffled my classmates how I could forget to bring my book to class on a regular basis but still had the highest grade in the class, and google is why. It's a valuable resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Google is a search engine, it is not a source, I did read through the protocols for NYS/NYC and it was not adressed.

I was just seeing if someone was aware of it.

I am sorry to take up your time.

Don't you have any gum snapping, face-booking or sticker placing you need to catch up on ?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Google is a search engine, it is not a source, I did read through the protocols for NYS/NYC and it was not adressed.

I was just seeing if someone was aware of it.

I am sorry to take up your time.

Google is a source to link you to other sources. :) That linked you to more than one webpage. Just because you're looking for a specific answer doesn't mean you can't learn things you weren't looking for.

Don't you have any gum snapping, face-booking or sticker placing you need to catch up on ?

Nope, just gotta finish washing my work uniforms for my next shift ;) Ahhh it's nice to be a working, paid "sun god"

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
getting back on topic........

Under New York State or City Protocols, and for CPR under the Academy of Surgeons/Ortho a/k/a Orange Book, can anyone refrence a source for rescue breathing for infants and neo-nats, while doing professional rescuer CPR ?

Thank you as always.

reaper

Working Bum
You know, Two different people have told you how to find the answer. Look it up and stop being lazy. If you obtained a CPR card, you learned this already.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you for writing.

Be aware if a post offends you there is the option to ignore it.

You can say that for any post here, look it up, particularly the ones for names of ambulance compnaies (listed on DOH website).

It was not in my notes, the textbook, the website for the CPR organization, the NYS or NYC protocols.

It is possible that one is, for professional CPR, merely use the #'s of a child...?

It is not the biggest deal, I have enough verifyable sources and topics to study anyway as I bide time studying and working out until mid Sept when FDNY hires and there will be openings at the NYC privates.....

reaper

Working Bum
Be aware that when people tell you how to find the answer, then find it. Asking a question on the forums is perfectly fine. When people take the time to tell you how to find it and you ignore it, then that is being lazy.

Did you not learn how many times a minute an infant and neonate breath? break that down into seconds and you have your answer

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Be aware that when people tell you how to find the answer, then find it. Asking a question on the forums is perfectly fine. When people take the time to tell you how to find it and you ignore it, then that is being lazy.

Did you not learn how many times a minute an infant and neonate breath? break that down into seconds and you have your answer

I already have in my notes how often they breathe. That was not the question.

I realize in the field, whatever needs to be done to ventialate them will be done....I had a specific question if it was adressed in a written protocol....specific numbers, as in the protocol a child is 1 every 3-5 seconds, yet in the field if more or less are warranted it is done that way....

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
In your area there may not be a protocol for an exact number, as they expect the provider to use their knowledge and judgment. I suggest you dig out your CPR book and look it up. The number of times a patient of a certain age is relevant, since that is the range you want to shoot for.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
In your area there may not be a protocol for an exact number, as they expect the provider to use their knowledge and judgment. I suggest you dig out your CPR book and look it up.

That is my best guess.

It is not adressed in the book, everything is adult or child, yet for compressions, there is an infant and neo-nat #....

The CPR organization has a website, with a chart, and the rescue breathing #'s are not adressed.

Unless someone corrects me, I will assume those numbers are not adressed. If it ends up being a question on a test, I wil make my best guess, and if not have to eat that question.

Thank you everyone who replied.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Ok... now you gone and done it... made me do work..... in my book, "Paramedic Practice Today, Barbara Aehlert, Mosby, Dated 2010". Volume 2, Page 52 ( ch. 36 ) Neonatology: States, Ventilation 40-60 breaths a minute. When compressions are being done, its 30 breaths a minute. With a minimum volume of 450ml and maximum volume of 750ml. with a pop off set to 35 cm H2O. ( Ref .p 51 )

I paraphrased, but its in there.
I deserve a cookie..... no?