Reading Medic textbook as an EMT

TM556

Forum Probie
Reaction score
I've just recently been certified as an EMT. Just recently the thought of reading the medic textbook my school uses for their program crossed my mind. I wont be attending the program any time soon. I was just thinking of studying it out of interest. Will reading it interfere at all with me practicing as an EMT? Should I just hold off till medic school eventually and just perfect my skills/knowledge as a BLS provider first? Thanks in advance

It isn't going to hurt to do so. I would suggest targeting your reading though. If you are going to be working with a medic partner it is generally expected you know where everything is and the basics of how to help prep everything (not as much if you are brand new, but eventually...).

For example, be familiar with the common meds such as Zofran, Fentanyl, Epi, etc and the basics about them.
Know how to properly set up a 12 lead, don't worry as much with being able to interpret them.
Be familiar with the airway equipment and where it is, so if you are asked to set up a 7.5 ET tube with a bougie and a 3 miller blade you can do it.
Know how to set up IV's and spike the bags.
Same applies to pretty much any piece of equipment on the truck. That being said, this entire list can be taught to you by your medic partner. If you aren't working on an ALS truck, these all still apply to a BLS truck on a smaller scale.

Read an Anatomy and Physiology text... Take a class even

I've just recently been certified as an EMT. Just recently the thought of reading the medic textbook my school uses for their program crossed my mind. I wont be attending the program any time soon. I was just thinking of studying it out of interest. Will reading it interfere at all with me practicing as an EMT? Should I just hold off till medic school eventually and just perfect my skills/knowledge as a BLS provider first? Thanks in advance

Read anything you like. Knowledge is good.

It isn't going to hurt to do so. I would suggest targeting your reading though. If you are going to be working with a medic partner it is generally expected you know where everything is and the basics of how to help prep everything (not as much if you are brand new, but eventually...).

For example, be familiar with the common meds such as Zofran, Fentanyl, Epi, etc and the basics about them.
Know how to properly set up a 12 lead, don't worry as much with being able to interpret them.
Be familiar with the airway equipment and where it is, so if you are asked to set up a 7.5 ET tube with a bougie and a 3 miller blade you can do it.
Know how to set up IV's and spike the bags.
Same applies to pretty much any piece of equipment on the truck. That being said, this entire list can be taught to you by your medic partner. If you aren't working on an ALS truck, these all still apply to a BLS truck on a smaller scale.

Yeah my EMT textbook has a chapter with the basis of ALS... There's really nothing of medications in the chapter though. Just how to intubate and give IVs. Maybe buying the medic textbook is overkill. I'm sure when I get hired it'll come together more.. right now I just volley on a BLS truck.

Read an Anatomy and Physiology text... Take a class even

I was looking at a few:
BRS Physiology
Grey's Anatomy
Atlas of Human Anatomy

To me, the information seemed way too in depth at my level of training. I know there's no such thing as too much knowledge.

Read anything you like. Knowledge is good.
What prompted me to post this is what my course instructor said in one of the last classes. She said something along the lines of "don't pre-study for medic school because 2 years of your life will be consumed by it. Master the EMT level first." Also said something about how you could screw up and go beyond your scope of practice in the field whether you have the equipment or not. I don't remember word for word.

What prompted me to post this is what my course instructor said in one of the last classes. She said something along the lines of "don't pre-study for medic school because 2 years of your life will be consumed by it. Master the EMT level first." Also said something about how you could screw up and go beyond your scope of practice in the field whether you have the equipment or not. I don't remember word for word.

It's true, there are plenty of ways to screw up in EMS. Most of them involve knowing too little instead of too much.

i watch house... its never sarcoidosis though.

i watch house... its never LUPUS though.

Fixed it for you.

OP, a solid base of A/P goes a long way. It not only gives you the understanding of whats going on inside the body and why, but how different medications and procedures affect the body. As far as medic reading goes, a basic pharmacology or EKG book are what I would recommend.

Thank you for the list. Ill check them out. How about any good A & P books?

I recommend college classes in general subjects related to medicine. You'd be surprised how much general biology, chemistry, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, nutrition, psych courses, microbiology and pharmacology courses will do for you and your patients.

Math courses sound silly, but most deaths in medicine are caused by simple drug dosage miscalculations. Your heart needs potassium to work, but too much of potassium is what the state uses to execute prisoners in many States. A simple miscalculation can be very serious.

English classes are crucial. A LOT of people in EMS are under-educated and come across as uneducated. How do you think that goes over with patients when you're trying to gain their trust?

An absolute must: take a legal course for EMS or first responders. I've only been in EMS for 5-6 years, and I bet that every 3 months, I get a request or order to do something that is illegal or unethical (but the people giving the order usually have good intent). Instead of keeping my mouth shut and feeling awkward, it's really nice to be able to point out exactly what the problem is, why it is illegal or unethical, and what steps we can do to prevent or remedy the situation.

Try to take as many 1-2 day CE classes as you can get your hands on. ITLS, PHTLS, GEMS, etc., are examples of good training that will help you in your everyday life as an EMT.

Take as many rescue-related courses as you can (rope rescue, ice and cold water, swift water, trench, confined spaces, Hazmat, Search and Rescue, technical rescue, etc...) Even if your everyday job doesn't include rescue, you really learn how to problem solve and think outside the box. You learn scene size-up and general impressions really well. You learn scene safety really well.

To your question about paramedic books specifically: it won't be as helpful as the other learning, but if it is the book you have or can afford, then, by all means, read it. Read anything you can get your hands on, and take as much training as you can afford. Create a lifestyle of life-long learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the awesome reply man. I'm just starting my career in EMS but I'm really eager to keep learning. Going to certainly follow your advice and also take advantage of the CE classes my volunteer agency offers for now.

Should you read a paramedic textbook? Sure.

It will give you something to do while you are waiting for your A&P course to start.

Sorry to bump a thread that's already been answered but wow. I always underestimated Khan Academy but it is a huge source of good info.. Realized how watered down EMT class was.

Back