Portable Scene Lighting?

Simusid

Forum Captain
I'm looking for a product but I don't know if it exists or not. I work nights a lot and I've been to more than a few calls with inadequate or non-existent scene lighting. I carry a small but extremely powerful flashlight and I will use it as best that I can including sometimes holding it in my mouth while I root through a bag.

I want a portable collapsable device that would stand 3-4 feet high that when closed is roughly the size of the biggest MagLite and when open would flood an area approximately 12' square with moderate light.

Has anyone seen a product like this? Yes I googled, but I either get something way too big (light towers) or way too small (flashlights).

OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
Does your vehicle not have scene lights built in?

Yes, but there are many many reasons it is inadequate. Most of the lights are on the side of the truck, so positioning is an issue. We may be staged away from pt. Dark misty nights are light sinks and suck in EVERYTHING. Light intensity falls of with the square of the distance, so you need to be close. And also, I've been in plenty of patients houses/rooms that were gloomy and dark with no adequate lighting.

So, I know what I have, and I know what I want. Portable lighting!

feldy

Forum Captain
this looks kinda neat...not sure how quick it sets up

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_aalg.php?recordID=9460

or just read one of the many flashlight threads on here...i use a streamlight stinger and it works great and i use it all the time. Many houses i respond to have little to no lighting and a powerful flashlight is just what i need.

You could also just have FD hold it while you are treating your pt if they are on scene too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Simusid

Forum Captain
this looks kinda neat...not sure how quick it sets up

http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail_aalg.php?recordID=9460

or just read one of the many flashlight threads on here...i use a streamlight stinger and it works great and i use it all the time. Many houses i respond to have little to no lighting and a powerful flashlight is just what i need.

You could also just have FD hold it while you are treating your pt if they are on scene too.

Yes that portable scene lighting looks pretty good. I just want it a lot smaller. I don't need to lug huge batteries around, I only need 1/2 hour max scene time.

I don't go anywhere without a flashlight. It's indispensable but I don't have three hands. If you like your streamlight at 90 lumens, you would probably LOVE my Fenix PD30 at 265 lumens!

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
How about a headlamp?

Size is your limiting factor. Stanley makes a nice small tripod not would be positional Lowes czrries that one.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
How about something like this?

Attachments

• cpt_trans2.jpg
    cpt_trans2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 27